Best way to make money?

Users who are viewing this thread

SoNiCbOoM321

Regular
    Just wanted to start this thread off with a little bit of praise for making this amazing mod, I've only played for three kingdoms so far which are the Saxons that control Ludenwic, Mumain, and Gwenydd. I have to say this is the best mod out there the features are amazing the possibilities seem endless just great. Especially if you know some of your heritage comes from this region which in this case all of me, I'm from the US but my heritage comes from Germany, Ireland, and England so playing for the factions that are somehow related to my history and those that I know for a fact (I've found out my families Irish side comes from Count Kearny in the Mumain territory, so I find myself playing for them the most.
    Now on to the main reason for this thread what is the best way to make money, enlisting in an army turns out ok pay after a while but I need lots of money now and forever. I'm also trying to use the salt mines but they don't seem to yield much profit either. So what are the best ways to make money?

Loot and pillage made me rich.

Just join a faction that is on war and start stealing all you can take from enemy villages.

Then, when you are enough rich, you should keep Grain you stole, build a brewery and use that grain to produce beer.

When you are richer you should build a tannery and use all the hide you get from slaughtering enemy kettles.

My way is slower :smile:.
Join an army save up your money to 26000 whenever your in town go to the tavern and bet 2k on a coin toss if your lucks good you'll make 2000 more.
Save till 26k then buy a winery.
Im about 600 turns into my current run have got 17 winnery's 5 ships all fully maned and an army of close to 200 men and am just preparing to take my first city and strike out on my own in ireland :smile:.
It takes some time to get going but once you can afford to maintain 50-60 men then i just did rounds of the city's and slowly made profit from coin flipping :smile:.

Honestly, buying salt in Pengwern and the region directly above it (often for <50) and selling in Wales (for 300) and buying stone, minerals, silver in Wales and selling in Pengwern (400/150 for minerals and silver/stone) is easily the most profitable thing to do in this mod; especially if you run with a small but elite party that can mow through bandits and masterless men, gaining some meaningful loot to sell.

However this is fairly boring compared to fighting, and you have to be active to make money. This means that it is only viable in the early -> early-mid game, as later on you will have other concerns. I'd say do all the trading you can until you can afford like 15 breweries or 10 wineries or so, then you can trade only when you are in the area :smile:

I feel a little dumb in asking this but since I upgraded to the current version I cannot find anywhere to make industries, such as brewrys.

Have they been taken out or is there another way to access the industry purchasing area (used to be the guildmaster screen)

Are you saying that the option to buy land for an enterprise?

yes, i cannot seem to find it anywhere.

prior to 1.394 i could talk to the guildmaster in a town. but that option is no longer available for me.

Solved:

In previous versions (pre 1.394) there was a link to visit the guildmaster in a town on the initial screen.

In this version you need to go and physically see the guildmaster.

Sorry about the time wasting mates

Cheers,

Loot, steal cattle and raid. I usually start off as a merchant character with 5 inventory management and 5 trade skills, which is best for raiding.

If you're having difficulty selling your hides and beef from stolen cattle at a good price, trade with a caravan. They have endless money. Sell them your hides, and once the caravan has no more schillings, exit the trade screen and ask to trade again. Their purse will be regenerated. This is kinda like an "exploit" so I don't do this anymore.

Gambino said:
Sobakozoid said:
Best way? Cheat with save/load and "flip a coin".  :grin:

-.-, or enable cheats and go CTRL+X and CTRL+ALT+F4'inn like a boss ?
or you export you guy and then import him and  get 10000000000000000g and 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000xp

I have read people talk about having a winery in the second week, yet I was trading a lot and it took me 3 months to save up to 26,000 and then I could not buy one as I did not have enough standing with the lord. In the end I bought a ship and now have 5,000 although I am regretting it as it is not really benefiting my cash flow and there are not enough port towns around Britain. I am a mercenary for East Angla yet have to make port in Southsea and march which isn't ideal as we are at war with East Seaxe and Mierce.

My army is weak after 2 heavy defeats so money through loot looks a tougher deal. It is easy to make money in the mod but even easier to spend it.

If you steal cattle do you have to walk it around?

You do, but you just slaughter them and hop on your boat. Since you're a merc anyways, you can pillage EVERY coastal village and make all kinds of dough. The only ones you leave alone are the ports that you intend to sell to. And in the event you decide to stop being a merc, you'll regain the relationship points you lost from the other nations (if I'm not mistaken.)

There's also an option to buy cows in villages, slaughter them, and sell their hides & meat over different cities.

This option is probably way too profitable. One cow for around 200 scillings yields two hides & two beef. In the correct places hides alone sells for 300+ a piece while beef goes for around 100, so the profit margin of one cow is around 600.

Okay, rewind.

Why has no one mentioned the Mineral/Silver/Stone trade from Gwnet/Brycheniog/Dyfeg/Powys etc. to Pengwern? About four trips nets me the ponies I need for the wagon, and then from there I just send my wagon to a pengwern city with a strong detachment of heavy cav.

Easy money right there. And pengwern usually has salt for cheap, so those first couple trips you can essentially make bank.

Otherwise yeah just steal cattle, get the hides, dump in tannery, profit.

(Side Note: Ya know, that reminds me a lot of the gold trade in the west coast of Africa with the Ghana Empire. You know, gold for salt, salt for gold. Or the Egyptians and Phoenicians.)

Cornelius Constantine said:
ThePower said:
Why has no one mentioned the Mineral/Silver/Stone trade from Gwnet/Brycheniog/Dyfeg/Powys etc. to Pengwern?

It has been mentioned. Somewhere. Might be in the Beginner's Guide, but it's good to point out.

Yeah I meant in this thread. The beginner's guide isn't actually all that useful. I had to find out a lot of the stuff in the game myself cause I ain't really manage to figure out what was going on till I started a couple of characters.

But I guess I should take another look at that thing.

And I guess we should probably talk about updating the beginner's guide.

Back
Top Bottom