Best troops for a non-strategist?

Users who are viewing this thread

stethnorun

Recruit
I'm looking to create an army of good soldiers that I don't have to order around. Does anyone have any thoughts on which are the best at undirected mayhem? I know that Swadian Knights are pretty good (but nerfed since M&B orig.) and so are Huscarls and Mamlukes. I was wondering if Rhodocks was just a lost cause? Can I spam crossbowmen and have them survive? I tried out Khergit horse archers and all they were good at was running straight into people and dying. Also, I never considered Vaegirs (they always seem to look like armed homeless people)...are they worth taking a look at?

Looking for in game experience, rather than stat-crunching since the stats in this game don't tell you how well certain troops fight (like the horse archers). Thanks for any and all opinions.

Nerfed or not, my vote still goes to Swadian Knights. All you need to do is tell them "kill" and they obey.
(You just need to get out of their way because they won't let you kill anything yourself)
You will probably want to keep some crossbowmen around as well though... for sieges.

Yeah, I usually have an army of Swadian Knights and crossbowmen and when I get fiefs I start training infantry for garrisons (they're cheaper).

Any heavy cavalry, basically. While infantry like Rhodok Sergeants and Huscarls are effective, they need some micromanaging.

stethnorun said:
If I do go swadian knights and crossbowmen, does it matter if they are swadian crossbows or rhodocks?
Most agree that Rhodocks are better.
As I see it though if you have an army of knights it wouldn't make much difference either way - Go with Rhodocks if you don't mind doing a bit of traveling to recruit + if you don't fear the reputation decrease for fighting against their faction.

If you just want mindless slaughter, why bother with crossbowmen? The knights will slaughter the enemy before the crossbowmen get to do much.

Velax said:
If you just want mindless slaughter, why bother with crossbowmen? The knights will slaughter the enemy before the crossbowmen get to do much.
To take out some enemy archers during sieges.

obscure said:
Velax said:
To take out some enemy archers during sieges.

I'd take 100 Swadian Knights in a siege attack over 50 Knights and 50 Crossbowmen, or any other combination thereof, any day.

Velax said:
I'd take 100 Swadian Knights in a siege attack over 50 Knights and 50 Crossbowmen, or any other combination thereof, any day.
I was thinking more like 20-/80+ but fair enough.
To be honest I haven't tried doing a siege without some kind of ranged units. It's probably because sieges get so crowded that I find it more efficient and... safer to go ranged myself; so I might be overrating their importance.

rhodok sharpshooters are statistacally better then their swadian counterparts, but swadians are a bit better in melee combat, while worse/equal in armor and crossbow weapons (siege for rhodoks, heavy for swadia)

I'd say go mamlukes instead of swadians, because they do well in sieges too. I wouldn't bother with crossbows if you're not interested in using them tactically.

Swadian cavalry is cool, but I personally prefer Vaegir Knights: no one, NO ONE can stand a charge from them!

And, if the proper conditions are met, they can easily take care of armies even 2 or 3 times bigger than yours, with just the 10-15% of losses, sometimes even less.

Only Swadian cavalry, so far, has given me some trouble, but nothing my Knights couldn't eventually handle.

I suggest this. Infantry: Nords, higher levels./Rhodok spearmen.
Archers: Vaegir marksmen for foot archers
Cavalry: Swadian Knights.
That's pretty much my army.

I generally find a full army of Swadian Knights and just put them as follow you and then go about your business and the battle will be over in no time... Its good to have them following in case you get surrounded etc and they are all half way across the field...

Heavy cavalry are always viable. Doesn't matter that much what faction they're from, and they require no strategy at all other than a charge command. They're your best bet. Throw in some ranged troops for siege defense, too. Maybe 70 knights and 30 sharpshooters/marksmen, and nearly everything can be destroyed by your army.

I'm having great success with 100+ vaegir marksmen in my army! (and nothing else, except companions).
Of course, you need to think a little bit strategically to use them well. Hold their fire until the enemy is close enough, and make sure they are standing close on a hilltop. Send in companions once enemy is close enough, and the marksmen get 20 seconds extra to pump arrows into people.
100 marksmen vs 200 enemies, kill the enemy leader early, you might actually come out of it without any losses. This depends on how many people get routed and alot on the landscape.

They are pretty useless against horses though, so I'm having a blast playing against nords :grin:
I'm gonna get me some spearmen and experiment more against kerghits.

Back
Top Bottom