Best approach to changing faction

Users who are viewing this thread

icky

Recruit
Hello,

Is it possible, and whats the best way of changing faction?  I'm currently alligned ina mercenary status with a faction, and want to try playing with a different one for a change to try out some different troops.  Can one belong to multiple factions in a mercenary manner at a time?

Is it even possible to gain standing with a faction that you are currently at war with? If it's possible, whats the best way of doing it?  Attacking enemies of your enemy?

I'm not familiar with how mercenary contracts work either.  One obvious way is just finish your contract and then not renew, then sign up with another.  Or you could become vassal of your faction, then immediately rescind your oath - you'll lose some relationship point with the king, but not too much.

IIRC, you can "make up" with a faction you yourself is at war by talking to their king and paying tribute.  You can't do this if you're currently attached to another faction who is at war with them though.

You can have mutliple tasks assigned to you by multiple factions, but factions you're at war with won't give you tasks. (Unless the particular lord likes you quite a bit, I think.)

icky said:
Is it even possible to gain standing with a faction that you are currently at war with? If it's possible, whats the best way of doing it?  Attacking enemies of your enemy?
Yes. There are two ways.
To make this easier I'm going to use an example. You are Swadian. Swadia is at war with the Kingdom of the Rhodoks and Khergit Khanate. You want you to improve your relation with the Khergit nation to a positive figure.
To do this you must rescue Khergit Lords from Rhodok parties and let them go. If you do your relation with that lord will increase and your relation with the Khergit Khanate (however the hell you spell it) will increase by two points.
This situation does not happen often so it will require some ingenuity on your part to make it work. The best way is to herd Khergit parties into Rhodok territories (be careful not to frighten the Rhodoks with your presence - maintain a distance), save when they engage in battle, wait until the Khergit Lord is almost defeated, save, and wait for the battle to end.
If he escapes, reload. If he is captured, free him.

A bit tricky and sneaky but it's the only way to do it.
At one point my relation with Khergit Khanate was at -20 (even after rescuing a lot of lords). But I had 13 Khergit Lords captured by a Rhodok war campaign party. After my battle with all the Rhodoks my relation increased from -20 to 6!
After that they'll no longer attack you, you can complete quests for them and help them out when they face your enemies (e.g. bandits).
Be warned though, you will not be able to join Swadian forces attacking Khergit forces and you will not be able to siege castles.
You will have to decrease your relation to perform those actions.

I've tried this before but the game doesn't let me attack either side when both sides are hostile to me.  Is this something from 960?

You can't join in a battle where you are against or for both of the participants.
You should be able to choose who you help and thwart, nut you can't yet.
Iodine said:
I've tried this before but the game doesn't let me attack either side when both sides are hostile to me
I think you missed my point. You attack the group with the captured lord after that battle.
Don't try to help his party, rescue him once he's captured.

Back
Top Bottom