SP - Battles & Sieges battles don't need to have so many casualties

Users who are viewing this thread

D0c1

Knight at Arms
tldr; make morale affect battles more, make lords consider retreating "early" and make the routing limit much more lower.
i'm no historian but from the little things i've read. medieval battles were about morale mainly not about casualties.
the armies fought until one side broke and routed.
most of the deaths happened in the routing phase not the actual battle.
so maybe the AI needs to retreat more?
i know that the code is there because i've seen hundreds of troops retreating/routing from battle. but that was after losses of more than a thousand.
also, AI lords need to retreat if they saw things going bad for their side. maybe make it tied to personality?
like cautious lords retreat early while brave lords fight until their soldiers rout?
retreating can be orderly (ordering troops to the edge of the map in formation before ordering a fallback) or they can run for it from the middle of the map depending on lords tactics skill perhaps?
when AI is retreating more, they'll save their troops and their ransom so it might also help with the snowballing.

100% agree!!! Not all battles should be "all in!".

I would like to see a battle where 2 armies line up, drum their shields and "exchange pleasantries", some arrows, some flanking attempts and then fall back if both generals feels unsure they could make a decent win.

An "Ordered retreat" or "Tactical retreat" should be used! Depending on tactic and skill, this could give them retreating army an advantage on campaignmap to be able to get away but leave most of the inventort behind, along with any wounded troops.

Back
Top Bottom