Arming your own troops? Hm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gasket said:
This would make a great feature, it would work well when you establish your own faction; you'd feel more unique with a custom army.
Can you imagine having nordic style infantry with rhodockian crossbows supporting them?

Zerohour123 said:
Dont any of you think its kinda strange how your own troops seem to find what they need to find what is according to their tier.
Sure its good. But sometimes in battle situations (such as horsemen) 1 out of 4 troops would have a spear. Or so few of your troops has a shield or any decent equipment. Heres my suggestion.

Each troop should be treated like a hero. (dialog, equipment exchange) Take off the tier tree and buying troops at the pub or bar w/e would be just be called. "Soldier" or "mercanary" or whatever, maybe "drunkard" to give it more feel in a tavern. And in your party line (list) You be able to customize your troops accordingly like a hero.

1. In Fire & Sword, the skill levels, weapon profencies and the attibutes are changed when you upgrade a mercenary or soldier, not a villager. The armor you can change if its a mercenary, so you can make all your troops have a spear or sword, But Its very confusing to upgrade and stuff.

2. Each troop is just a soldier in your battle, your companions are your heroes

Completely agree, but they should only be able to be equipped t a certain level. You shouldn't be able to equip a Khergit recruit with mail armour.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, I just went to the last page and posted.  :razz:

Excuse my ignorance as I have not read the whole thread.

I've dwelled on this this thought. This is what I came up with.
You go out, pick say some Swadian recruits, their attributes will be Swadian.
Your new Swadian recruits level up, now you get to choose what type of gear they will progress in, Swadian gear? Nordic Gear? Rhodok Gear? You choose.

Of course if you choose a Rhodok Crossbowman and give him the gear of a Vaegir archer he won't do so hot....

How's about this?

Troops use their wages to buy appropriate gear, thus it takes X amount of time for them to level up independent of battle but dependent on your money.

They get skills the same way companions do. You give it to them.

Don Quijote said:
How's about this?

Troops use their wages to buy appropriate gear, thus it takes X amount of time for them to level up independent of battle but dependent on your money.

They get skills the same way companions do. You give it to them.
The only problem I see there is the need to level up each soldiers' skill.  That would mean doing it for every individual soldier, in your entire army, for the entire game.  By my count, that could very well entail  few hundred before the game even gets into full swing.

It also averts Swadian Knights with points in leadership, pathfinding, trade, and other non-combatant skills.

I guess it could be toggled.

Don Quijote said:
It also averts Swadian Knights with points in leadership, pathfinding, trade, and other non-combatant skills.

I guess it could be toggled.

That gave me an idea just now...what if those traits gave secondary bonuses when in a units skill set?

I mean, (Using your example as a base) a swadian knight has high leadership, so maybe that increases morale of the swadian troops in minor amount.

Pathfinding could reduce the morale loss from large armies, again within a factions unit tree.

etc...

your thoughts?

I have a proposition for this problem

When you hire troops, they come equiped based on where you hire them from, the better the castle or farm or village status is(larger better established , more populated) the better their equipment they start with when you originally hire them, after which whenever you enter a battle and win and defeat the enemies, whatever you take of theirs after defeating them, the troops are given the option of taking the items for themselves, unless the boss(you) decide to keep the stuff for yourself and sell it for money, in which case they would be left witk rakes or basic swords which they began with.

By the way, this game has such potential, smooth it out improve the few little things, and you have the next diablo 2/wow/ starcraft 2 status of a game. Its quiet innovating in its field and a pioneer in its style

How about once you become a lord of town or castle, you can build an armoury and once that built you can select what armour and weapons based on the troops ranks. For instance you can outfit knights with plate armour or a coat of plates. With milita units you can select whether if they wear gamersons, leather armour or light chain.

Federick421 said:
How about once you become a lord of town or castle, you can build an armoury and once that built you can select what armour and weapons based on the troops ranks. For instance you can outfit knights with plate armour or a coat of plates. With milita units you can select whether if they wear gamersons, leather armour or light chain.
Hmm...that's not a bad idea.  Maybe set three levels of set gear per tier (poor/normal/exceptional) that would slightly modify the wages of the troops (-10%/0%/+10%).

It could be helpful for the Lord short on cash...

yeah it would be nice if you can choose like how mouch arrows your archers should have and what their melee weopon is and things like that .

but what i want is you become a lord you have vassels and you give one of your vassals a fief and the relation goes down .
f*kng anoying .

and what is want is that you have more than only vassals in your kingdom something like what you can have in your castle

king (you)
and your wife .

hand of the king
( a men that help you with almost every thing he rules your town if you are gone for a atackt you say to him i leave for sometime and he wil does every thing .
( not giving castles to vassals and other people but he does other things  )

prince ( your son ) .
(that can raise is own army and fight for you )
can have any fief you have to offer

princes ( your dauchter)

she can marry with other vassals and their sons .
good to build a relationship with them

vassals .
they can have any yo can offer .
they can hire baron's and comanders with a army.
they have to give a baron a fief .
and a comander a weakly money of something like 1500 denars until - 10000 denars .

baron
have to get a fief like a village and fights for but with a smaller army and he cannot disline a qeust .
they have not the right to care about who gets a fief of your vassals or baron's

and bandits and looters and other people like that

groups of bandits and looters can be hired for a little price not more than 1000 denars .
than do they fight for your kingdom and they do not hunt any more on your people but only the enemy .

and i talk about groups of 50 - 80 bandits or looters or something .

( my ideas )

not the best english i know .
but did my best .

The problem with having your own units looting their gear is that they cant find the gear matching your faction, unless you fight it, so at best you will have swadian knight wearing mamluke mail while using a nordic war sword or a bardiche and taking a board shield out once their hunter gets killed.

this is what i allways talk about ! this is very reallistic cuz for example when 1 normal shild costs about 400-500 gold why knights equipment is cheap then 1 shilds price? :grin:  player must buy weaps for his troops but not 1  there must be chans to buy for example 10 x-bow for 2000-3000 and you will diced what your man will carry

PRAETORIANN said:
this is what i allways talk about ! this is very reallistic cuz for example when 1 normal shild costs about 400-500 gold why knights equipment is cheap then 1 shilds price? :grin:  player must buy weaps for his troops but not 1  there must be chans to buy for example 10 x-bow for 2000-3000 and you will diced what your man will carry

that was exactly what i was about to say  :grin: but instead of just "bows" you could buy different teirs, for example bow, long bow, war bow etc. and the rest i totally agree with you PRAETORIANN :grin:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=77696.msg5463626#msg5463626

5 - Custom Troops: I think that, since you may be forming your own new nation, maybe you want to create custom troop types. On top of this, you might consider making villages dynamic. Once they've been owned by one nation for a consecutive year, their recruit type shifts to that new nation, which forces the player to create his faction's unique identity from scratch. I'm certain that assigning values to specific gear and skills shouldn't be too difficult, allowing for the game to determine the cost to upgrade for fresh troop types

You know some people might not like this or it might have been suggested but why don't you just have a system like the one in WFaS's mercenary system. So you get men and you buy their weapons all together. So say there is a unit type called  swordsmen; well if you have 10 and you by them a broadsword it goes to them all and the price gets higher the more you have. If you get 10 more swordsmen then you can go and upgrade them in a city but it will only give you of the cost of those 10.

The game also could have a screen for units to tell how many men have what weapon or armor. You could also add armories so that buying weapons and armor will be cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom