Are units historically accurate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dazzer

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Sorry for making so many threads, but I just want to ask if troops, their name and equipment in this game are historically accurate. I was yesterday searching for Netyags, but I coudln't find anything on the internet about them. Same goes for the Lifeguard unit for Sweden and so. I couldn't find any picture showing what uniform did Swedish musketeers wore. Are all these names and equipment fictional?

Dangerdude said:
Sorry for making so many threads, but I just want to ask if troops, their name and equipment in this game are historically accurate. I was yesterday searching for Netyags, but I coudln't find anything on the internet about them.
I have not any special interest for this period (also i'm not historian at all) and don't know much about, but... Word "Netyag" used as a name of poor cossak. It's mean something like "lazybones" and "work-shy" (old russian). It's a correct name for this type of cossacks according to some sources. About sweden, they had colors of regiment, pictures of some troops:
Picture 1
Picture 2
Something about sweden army (17 century, pictures of infantry):
Osprey
For first picture:
Description

P.S. Here much more:
Pictures
And more, but i'm not sure about historical accuracy of this picture:
Picture 3
Also, just nice picture:
I like picture 4, but...
From wiki: a model of a section of a pike and shot formation from the Thirty Years' War on display at the Army Museum in Stockholm. Consistent (uniform) dress was not common for military troops at the time.

Dangerdude said:
Sorry for making so many threads, but I just want to ask if troops, their name and equipment in this game are historically accurate. I was yesterday searching for Netyags, but I coudln't find anything on the internet about them. Same goes for the Lifeguard unit for Sweden and so. I couldn't find any picture showing what uniform did Swedish musketeers wore. Are all these names and equipment fictional?

Yes. They are.

Although by the time this game is set in (1655) typical western armies (such as sweden) comprised mainly of pikemen and musketeers, as well as shock cavalry armed with pistols and equipped with buffcoats, cavalry boots and hats. The heaviest cavalry (reiters) which not too long ago wore full armour would be equipped with a breastplate and a lobster pot helmet. There would be halberdir regiments though the bulk would be comprised of pikes and musketeers in all western armies, the ratio favoring muskets over pikes as the century progressed, and of course, varying from country to country.

There would be exceptions even as far as fully armored cavalry is involved, though by this point they generally fell out of fashion, with mainly the nobility coming to battle in full armour. Two handed swords also fell out of use sooner than full armour, though Scots were using their claymores as far as the first Jacobite rebellion up to the beginning of 1700's. I've read about this in Osprey. Apparently two handed swords were used infrequently in few other places, though I have to do research on that, it's really intriguing me actually so I might as well do it now. HRE didn't completely abandon their sword and buckler men until quite late in the century, apparently there were still some at the battle of Vienna in 1683.

The thing about this mod is that it's kind of flexible and borrows from earlier in the century, mainly when it comes to Sweden. The Swedish cavalry in full three quarters armor and a lobster pot are apparently an interpretation of heavier hakkapeliittas from the thirty years war. The only unit I find questionable is the heavily armored two handed swordsman, which did exist but were quickly falling out of favor in early 1600's, and I've never heard of Sweden having such soldiers.

Overall though Swedish uniforms look like they fell straight out of Gustavus Adolphus' times some 20-30 years prior to when the mod is set in, no clue why they settled for that, I guess for variety's sake, but in any case, they look quite cool. :smile:

So, in a nutshell, if you disregard the flexibility of borrowing units from earlier in the century and from possibly some other places, it's fairly accurate.

Hope this helps. Might I ask why are you so interested? :smile:

SendMeSmile said:
Dangerdude said:
Sorry for making so many threads, but I just want to ask if troops, their name and equipment in this game are historically accurate. I was yesterday searching for Netyags, but I coudln't find anything on the internet about them.
I have not any special interest for this period (also i'm not historian at all) and don't know much about, but... Word "Netyag" used as a name of poor cossak. It's mean something like "lazybones" and "work-shy" (old russian). It's a correct name for this type of cossacks according to some sources. About sweden, they had colors of regiment, pictures of some troops:
Picture 1
Picture 2
Something about sweden army (17 century, pictures of infantry):
Osprey
For first picture:
Description

P.S. Here much more:
Pictures

And more, but i'm not sure about historical accuracy of this picture:
Picture 3

Also, just nice picture:
I like picture 4, but...
From wiki: a model of a section of a pike and shot formation from the Thirty Years' War on display at the Army Museum in Stockholm. Consistent (uniform) dress was not common for military troops at the time.
Thank you for clearing me these things up.

YourStepDad said:
Dangerdude said:

Yes. They are.

Although by the time this game is set in (1655) typical western armies (such as sweden) comprised mainly of pikemen and musketeers, as well as shock cavalry armed with pistols and equipped with buffcoats, cavalry boots and hats. The heaviest cavalry (reiters) which not too long ago wore full armour would be equipped with a breastplate and a lobster pot helmet. There would be halberdir regiments though the bulk would be comprised of pikes and musketeers in all western armies, the ratio favoring muskets over pikes as the century progressed, and of course, varying from country to country.

There would be exceptions even as far as fully armored cavalry is involved, though by this point they generally fell out of fashion, with mainly the nobility coming to battle in full armour. Two handed swords also fell out of use sooner than full armour, though Scots were using their claymores as far as the first Jacobite rebellion up to the beginning of 1700's. I've read about this in Osprey. Apparently two handed swords were used infrequently in few other places, though I have to do research on that, it's really intriguing me actually so I might as well do it now. HRE didn't completely abandon their sword and buckler men until quite late in the century, apparently there were still some at the battle of Vienna in 1683.

The thing about this mod is that it's kind of flexible and borrows from earlier in the century, mainly when it comes to Sweden. The Swedish cavalry in full three quarters armor and a lobster pot are apparently an interpretation of heavier hakkapeliittas from the thirty years war. The only unit I find questionable is the heavily armored two handed swordsman, which did exist but were quickly falling out of favor in early 1600's, and I've never heard of Sweden having such soldiers.

Overall though Swedish uniforms look like they fell straight out of Gustavus Adolphus' times some 20-30 years prior to when the mod is set in, no clue why they settled for that, I guess for variety's sake, but in any case, they look quite cool. :smile:

So, in a nutshell, if you disregard the flexibility of borrowing units from earlier in the century and from possibly some other places, it's fairly accurate.

Hope this helps. Might I ask why are you so interested? :smile:
I was just curious if units in WFaS are historical, not just another fictious soldiers from Ogniem i Mieczem  :grin:. And what about the lords? I guess Wolodyjowski was another fictional character from OiM, right?

You've got that right, Wolodyjowsky is a fictional character, though like most other Sienkiewicz's characters, based on real historical characters.

He and I think the fat guy from the movies/novel also found in one of the quest (forgot his name) happen to be fictonal characters, I think the rest are historical figures, excluding perhaps the companions.

I'm really in a 17th century mood again, might rewatch the trilogy soon, it's as good if not better than Lord of the Rings to me. :smile:

Troops from OiM themselves are all historical.

YourStepDad said:
He and I think the fat guy from the movies/novel also found in one of the quest (forgot his name) happen to be fictonal characters, I think the rest are historical figures, excluding perhaps the companions.
His name is Zagloba

Also just found out that Lennart Torstensson died in 1651 but he is still in the game  :???:

Yeah, Zagloba, thanks for refreshing my memory.

And that's the flexibility I was talking to you about. Don't let it bother you. The team is probably aware but decided to include him anyway.

Back
Top Bottom