Anyone know a good free anti virus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Frosty

Grandmaster Knight
So, avast! keeps telling me that Steam is malware and refuses to open it, tried reporting as a false positive, adding it to my exception folder and updating avast.
Nothing is working and I was wandering if there were any good anti viruses that were free?

That panda thing. Haven't tried it out, though. Works cloud-based, somehow. Also, Avira. There are just ****loads of ads.

Splintert said:
If you're intelligent with your browsing and have a firewall, you don't need antivirus. Save the resources and skip it.

Human brain is pretty much the best anti virus. I have yet to get a virus since being online (98' or so I think, damn dialup). Unless your computer is really outdated though the resources from an antivirus aren't really that big and were generally only a complaint back in windows xp when people had like 1gb ram and the AV was taking up 1/10th of that. Was also great since norton was pretty much bundled with every factory built desktop of the time.

The funny thing is fixing a computer with a virus is usually piss easy and most people who get a 'virus' actually just have malware from visiting certain websites. Working at a computer repair place will often bring you to the most shady,****ed up people you can ever have the displeasure of meeting.

I was looking through spam emails about a week ago, clicking **** out of boredom, and now I'm apparently infected with a rootkit. AVG proved rather useless in this case.

If the virus is telling you that you're infected, you don't have what it says you have. Actually, if anything tells you you have a virus, it's probably the virus.

So it wasn't useless. :wink:

Removing rootkits is pretty difficult, most antiviruses - also paid ones - have problems with that.

The Donutio said:

You do realise any 'review' of anti-virus programme are worthless right? It's usually one company paying to come out on top or the review being conducted with known viruses that you'd never actually get because they were made for testing, and depends on whether or not the company added the protection in for that just to seem like they came out better than others.

They should never be taken too seriously, it's just to have a (little) reference when buying an antivirus.

Well that's a review of free anti-viruses so isn't much use if you want to buy one.

The Donutio said:
They should never be taken too seriously, it's just to have a (little) reference when downloading a free antivirus.

Fixed.
:shock:

The Donutio said:
I have been using AVG for two years and it never caused me troubles...
Sup haters  :lol:

This. Though I'm not sure what the haters bit is...I honestly haven't looked into antiviruses for years and years, since I had university-provided Symantic and I moved to AVG. There's better?/Beef against AVG?

Back
Top Bottom