Anyone have a problem with the economy in 1.5.0 NO MODS?

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been trying to play and enjoy it, now I'm a vassal and own 3 workshops, 3 castles, have a decent army of 74 max, 2 castles have around 60 garrison (not top tier troops) and the other one is empty (because I had to dimsiss all of them in order to NOT LOSE MONEY)

This is very strange indeed. The owner of 3 castles I should expect to make a very decent ammount of money, but I'm losing money instead. I stand still with my army and watch how the money fluctuates through a couple of days, and one day I make 200, the next -400, the next -15, the next -100, then all of a sudden the next I make 450, and after that I return to negative numbers and so on. Is this a known issue, is it an issue at all or am I missing something?

Are the villages attached to your castles productive or have they been raided? Have the villagers been making it to town? Do you have the correct workshops for the towns you have them in? By example Empicrotea has 2 villages that produce iron ore tied to it. This makes it a prime location for a smithy. Also check your kingdoms policies, some of the lower tax income ones can really hurt the pocketbook if they are all active.

That being said it does seem that money has gotten a bit harder to come by since before I took a break a few months ago. However the only time I see wild swings like that is when villagers/caravans are being raided.

Are the villages attached to your castles productive or have they been raided? Have the villagers been making it to town? Do you have the correct workshops for the towns you have them in? By example Empicrotea has 2 villages that produce iron ore tied to it. This makes it a prime location for a smithy. Also check your kingdoms policies, some of the lower tax income ones can really hurt the pocketbook if they are all active.

That being said it does seem that money has gotten a bit harder to come by since before I took a break a few months ago. However the only time I see wild swings like that is when villagers/caravans are being raided.
Thanks for the reply! The villages are not being raided, the few looters that pass by just run away when they see me too! So that's another doubt I have, how do I know which Workshop is best for each town? Some people say I gotta look for what the villages bound to each city produce and others says it has nothing to do with that :S

I think there is a problem with the latest attempt to balance the economy. I am not aligned with any faction and I have 7 caravans and 5 workshops and these are only making about 1,400 per day, total! I am currently running around trading horses and the horse economy has also collapsed. I suggest waiting a few days and I hope the devs will do something about balancing it ........ again!

Which castles do you own? In my last game I got some around Omor which were completely useless for income. 400 prosperity, no upgrades...
None of them could even pay for the garrisions that the AI left there with their tax income.

Yeah economy is broken and getting worse imo. Cheese it atm or suffer frustration like most broken/unbalanced parts of this game

Currently fight people and sell slaves/loot, arenas, trade (yourself not caravans) or blacksmith some brokenly priced weapons (javelins are one of the best)

Protip with trade - sell food to recently conquered/sieged cities

Yeah economy is broken and getting worse imo. Cheese it atm or suffer frustration like most broken/unbalanced parts of this game

Currently fight people and sell slaves/loot, arenas, trade (yourself not caravans) or blacksmith some brokenly priced weapons (javelins are one of the best)

Protip with trade - sell food to recently conquered/sieged cities
Its early access. Stop being so entitled.

Thanks for the reply! The villages are not being raided, the few looters that pass by just run away when they see me too! So that's another doubt I have, how do I know which Workshop is best for each town? Some people say I gotta look for what the villages bound to each city produce and others says it has nothing to do with that :S

The difference isn't much but it seems like the cheaper the raw materials are in the towns the better your workshop is. How expensive something is in the town however is not 100% based on what the supporting villages produce,

I bought a tannery in a Vlandian town, in 1.4.3 it was making over 100 gold per day which is not that great. It now makes 0 gold in 1.5.1, I am not kidding 0 gold. It has a village with that production and had not been raided.

My game where I was just playing as a trader has like 3 workshops and 3 caravans no land and 120 upgraded troops and my income seemed to be positive on the vast majority of days just from passives.

But my later game in a faction getting smashed with 200 troops 1 caravan and 3 workshops a castle and a town with 500 troops total is -2000 a day. It's better than what it was in 1.4.2. I think because they reduced upgraded troop costs. But castles seem like a major negative if you want troops to defend them and it's at a stage of the game when caravans aren't plausible. Could really do with an extra income like from companions that form armies. Unless I'm missing something. The town though balances out I think with 200 troops. Course my total wealth is still rising from battle stuff and prisoners. Though I feel I'd prefer more passive income and a reduction in what's supposed to be damaged armour prices.

I bought a tannery in a Vlandian town, in 1.4.3 it was making over 100 gold per day which is not that great. It now makes 0 gold in 1.5.1, I am not kidding 0 gold. It has a village with that production and had not been raided.
The first question I would ask is what's the prosperity of the towns you have workshops in? If it's not at least 4k then workshop incomes aren't good.

Unless something happens I make 150-300 a day off of workshops, of course there are down times when associated villages get raided but I'm currently 250+ days in and I never make zero off of a workshop.

The first question I would ask is what's the prosperity of the towns you have workshops in? If it's not at least 4k then workshop incomes aren't good.

Unless something happens I make 150-300 a day off of workshops, of course there are down times when associated villages get raided but I'm currently 250+ days in and I never make zero off of a workshop.

I have no idea what happened, I made 58, 55, 34, 22, etc.... then 0 and never went above 0 again. A tannery in this town has been my go to for many other campaigns.

I have no idea what happened, I made 58, 55, 34, 22, etc.... then 0 and never went above 0 again. A tannery in this town has been my go to for many other campaigns.
Interesting, I wonder if it's a bug. :unsure:

Edit -
So my current character is day 289 with 3 workshops. I could have 4 but I've been too busy to start a new one. My workshops are in Chaikand making 86 / Vostrum 60 / Poros 200. Chaikand and Vostrum produce beer and each had a village raided otherwise they're typically around 150-160. Poros produces clothing and has been as high as 315 before. I wish I could screenshot of this but my steam overlay isn't working. :xf-frown:

Last edited:
Well I had to disband my army and stick ONLY to tier 3 tropps with less than 80 soldiers in my party, anything beyond that will criple my economy (and I'm talking a vassal of the most powerfull faction in this playthrough, being Soutern Empire, owning 3 castles and 4 workshops)

Well I had to disband my army and stick ONLY to tier 3 tropps with less than 80 soldiers in my party, anything beyond that will criple my economy (and I'm talking a vassal of the most powerfull faction in this playthrough, being Soutern Empire, owning 3 castles and 4 workshops)
That sucks man, do you have any other forms of income besides castles? Don't count selling rags of looters. :xf-tongue:

That sucks man, do you have any other forms of income besides castles? Don't count selling rags of looters. :xf-tongue:
Haha xD Well, we are at war against Northern Empire and Aserai, and battles happen often (most of them defending my little villages against raiding party) so my other source of income is selling the loot I gain from those battles, aswell as the money I get for winning, and as a bonus income the tournaments when they are held in the City I go to sell my loot. If not for that I would be in red numbers.
But still, I think it does not make any sense, so in order to have a 100 troops well balanced professional army what do I need? 10 workshops, 10 caravans and 5 main cities?

O have been working real hard with @mexxico on the economy, everytime we get one thing changed it has a ripple effect to other things. There are multiple things that effect it, villages, caravans, castles, village production. I had one city was losing 500 a day, then lost it and got a different one and I making 3,000 a day, I know prosperity makes a big difference but that seems excessive. I know how it goes I am doing a play through right now and spent 200 days fighting and with 4 workshops I was breaking even just selling all battle loot. i know armies are tough to overcome, We are still working on it,.

Haha xD Well, we are at war against Northern Empire and Aserai, and battles happen often (most of them defending my little villages against raiding party) so my other source of income is selling the loot I gain from those battles, aswell as the money I get for winning, and as a bonus income the tournaments when they are held in the City I go to sell my loot. If not for that I would be in red numbers.
But still, I think it does not make any sense, so in order to have a 100 troops well balanced professional army what do I need? 10 workshops, 10 caravans and 5 main cities?
My last character has 3 castles 2 towns, which don't provide much income because they're recently conquered 2 caravans and 3 workshops and I clear anywhere from 1.5-2k a day. Workshops and caravans can provide income I listed how to get the best out of both here. I hope it helps.

My last character has 3 castles 2 towns, which don't provide much income because they're recently conquered 2 caravans and 3 workshops and I clear anywhere from 1.5-2k a day. Workshops and caravans can provide income I listed how to get the best out of both here. I hope it helps.
Thanks for the info! will surely give that a look!

jkotmUy.png

First of all, yes, your companion parties make you money. A ton of it if you're at war and they're strong enough to be fighting and raiding. Second, unless your cities have prosperity in the mid to high thousands don't even bother with workshops. Prosperity as well as price of goods necessary for production have an enormous impact on the profits of your workshops. If you want to help give a boost to your workshops manually you can find somewhere with a better price on needed goods and resell it to your town, lowering the price of goods and increasing your profit margins. To manually increase prosperity make sure to do quests for all Notables in your villages and towns. To start with stick to upgraded caravans for passive income.

Next, unless your fiefs are on the front lines keep your garrisons lean. The price of troops in a garrison adds up very quickly and unless it's at risk of being attacked you're just flushing money down the drain. If they are on the front lines it's more effective to keep them lean anyway and then siege whatever is close to it. This will draw enemy attention away from your fiefs to come protect their own with the added benefit that when you win the siege you've just put a buffer between the front lines and your fiefs. My strategy for war is a constant push forward, never stopping until I physically have to, and then I make peace when they're battered and broken. Assemble an army (especially including your companions!) and just march forward. A protip that I've found a lot of people don't know is that you can add cohesion to an army through the manage army UI:

SKBh1VO.png

Use this button to spend influence to increase army cohesion, keeping everyone together longer. Companion parties cost zero influence to form an army with or add cohesion to. Take advantage of this. When you defeat someone in battle take ALL of their troops, even if it takes you over capacity. Speak to the people in your army, ask to see their troops, and give them the ones you don't need. If one of your commanders is desperately low on troops send them home and call for someone else to replace them. Never stop pushing forward, force them to be constantly on defense.

If combat isn't really your thing, don't worry, there are some options here for you too. First, if you're desperate to have someone defend your fiefs, form an army by where you want defended. When they all show up... disband the army. That will get you a bunch of friendly lords or companions that are all now in the vicinity of your fiefs and will probably wander around close by because they prefer to get troops of their own faction.

If you want to siege but combat isn't your thing, starve them out. People need food to function. If you siege a city the caravans and villager parties can't get into the city to trade. As the amount of available food dwindles the soldiers start to starve and die, meaning you can easily stroll in and slaughter the remaining forces. Just make sure to bring enough food for yourself (and your army, they will never bring enough food for themselves!) and keep topping up your army cohesion as needed. Feeding your army should also increase your influence, making it easier to boost cohesion and call in more reinforcements.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop some quick tips for ways I've found to keep the passive income flowing in stable 1.5.1. Thanks for reading and I hope you have a great rest of your day!

Back
Top Bottom