Anybody fooled around with EAX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Momaw

Knight
M&B doesn't seem to natively support it, but at least on my old SB Live, it is possible to force the sound card to add an effect.  You won't get all the fancy positional stuff, but it does do interesting things. I'm wondering if anybody else has fooled around with this at all, possibly worked out a list of settings? I've been kinda tinkering around, and I can get something that makes the game sound more "open", but I'm sure that somebody more into audio could do a much better job.

Open like, airy.  Added some reverb and a very faint echo. But I don't know what I'm doing with the settings. I just moved sliders around till it sounded neat.  Which is why I'm asking if anybody else, who knows what they are doing, has tried.

The purpose of settings like these is to make different environments sound different by using reverb, etc. You won't get that effect if you just set the EAX externally. Sure, you might get the open battlefields to sound more 'airy', but the exact same effect will be present in towns, inns and stores; on the world map and even on the options screen.

The only time when EAX would be appropriate would be in a building, not outside.

In the combat scenes, unless you are in a ravine(which I admit, does happen sometimes), you would get NO reverb/echo whatsoever. The lack of walls means that the sound just keeps going away from you and doesn't bounce back.

In a building, it'd be very appropriate (esp. if there were different acoustics in the castles vs. shops/inns)

Back
Top Bottom