Any ancestors who served in the Napoleonic wars?

Users who are viewing this thread

GoblinOverlord said:
Were they slain?    :razz:

P.S. trying to find more info, my mother told me her nephew knows it all. May take a long time, since i live in the Netherlands and he in Bosnia. Will tell as soon as i know something.

No they all served until 1814 when they left thinking the war over.

So, after further research I've found:

I had family members alive during 1812, so it's possible that they fought in the War of 1812.
I am indeed related to a Confederate cavalryman. He served in the 8th (Smith's) Cavalry from Tennessee (not the same as the 8th Tennessee Cav that fought for the Union).
Two family members fought in WWI as engineers (they were twins, even serving in the same unit). They might have fought as part of the 332nd Infantry Regiment in Italy.
Several great-uncles fought in WWII. One died on D-Day. One arrived in France 6 days later. And one fought as a combat engineer in the South Pacific (Philippines, later in the war).
Semi-related note: Combat engineering seems to run in my blood. Several (read: a lot) of family members on both sides were engineers in various conflicts.

my most distant known relative deserted the british navy and now we're here.

That's all i know! :grin:

Jezza, if they were not slain, i suppose there is no monument for them  :mrgreen:

But that's my mothers side. There were a couple more on my fathers side.... gotta ask that.

My great grandfater (dads side) served in the Ottoman Army during World War 1. He fought in Sarikamis where lots of Turks froze to death trying to hold the line against the Russians in the Caucasus, however he survived Sarikamis and later his regiment was reassigned to Gallipoli (Canakkale). He was wounded there and was in the hospital until the war ended. He got a shrapnel through his right shoulder. As you know the Brits and French bombed the crap outta the Turks there before they landed and got their ass handed to them.

My great grandfather (moms side) served in the Turkish army during the War of Indepedence after the British, French, Italians, Armenians and Greeks had split the Ottoman Empire. He fought in Sakarya where he got shot while charging the Greek trenches or something.

Note that these are not Napoleonic Era, but i am not sure if i had any relatives fighting the French, maybe had some in Egypt during Napoleons Egypt campaign or something.

Commander Millander said:
Nearly every american on this forum has family member who fought in the War of the States.

One of my Ancestors served as a Sergeant in the 24th Massachusetts Volunteers and around the end of the war made captain.

That's rather false, even though my Father's side has been in the Americas since day one, my mother's side only came over in 1905 with the New Immigrants. You must remember that you're only counting in Colonial Heritage and Old Immigrants that fought in the American Civil War, and maybe some, but little,natives.
Oh and with the 1905, perhaps I have a Cossack in the family, but then again, I don't think a jew Merrily signed up with an Orthodox Cav unit.

jezza93 said:
Jordan_The_Noble said:
I have two ancestors that served in the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards.. small world.

Thats cool :smile: were they officers?

One was one was not, they were twins. The mother died shortly after they were born according to my family tree that has been kept for generations, my boyfriend's ancestors served in one of the Highlander regiments though. (No I'm not female lol.)

Jordan_The_Noble said:
jezza93 said:
Jordan_The_Noble said:
I have two ancestors that served in the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards.. small world.

One was one was not, they were twins. The mother died shortly after they were born according to my family tree that has been kept for generations, my boyfriend's ancestors served in one of the Highlander regiments though. (No I'm not female lol.)

Thats odd for only one to be an officer,perhaps the other was a volunteer.

None in the Napoleonic Wars for me, however I did have a great great grandfather that served in WWI as an artilleryman.  According to my grandmother he was almost completely deaf upon returning home.  I don't have any photos or uniforms, and I actually can't even remember his name currently.  Will look into it and post potentially post more info at a later date.

EgoisticPenny said:
None in the Napoleonic Wars for me, however I did have a great great grandfather that served in WWI as an artilleryman.  According to my grandmother he was almost completely deaf upon returning home.  I don't have any photos or uniforms, and I actually can't even remember his name currently.  Will look into it and post potentially post more info at a later date.

Thats either lucky or unlucky depending on your point of view :smile:

Jordan_The_Noble said:
jezza93 said:
Jordan_The_Noble said:

Errr.... by boyfriend you mean friend?
Cool story btw! I wish ppl had there uniforms

let me tell you something: my uncle had a picture of my ancestor (in uniform), with his sister and wife. Wanted to restaurate it, but never got it back.  :evil:

Some more info:

Name: Milan Stupar
Regiment: Probably the 9th Landwehr regiment

Died in a hosptal in Italy (probably in Sicily), due to heavy wounds. His son was born when he was gone, but he never came back......  :sad:
That way, my mother's name survived.

BetaKnight said:
Jordan_The_Noble said:
jezza93 said:
Jordan_The_Noble said:

No by boyfriend I mean boyfriend in the relationship area.

And I believe one of my family members have their uniforms.. I'll have to pop round my grandads and ask him sometime.

Jordan_The_Noble said:
BetaKnight said:
Jordan_The_Noble said:
jezza93 said:
Jordan_The_Noble said:

No by boyfriend I mean boyfriend in the relationship area.

And I believe one of my family members have their uniforms.. I'll have to pop round my grandads and ask him sometime.

Just say you are gay. Say it, damned. I dare you, sir!

Back
Top Bottom