Am I the only one that likes the smithing aspect of the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

but TW is doing it for some unknowable reason.
It's not unknowable; it's a cost. Because you can beat up bandits, get weapons, smelt weapons, get raw materials, refine materials, smith items, smelt items... there's very little waste in the system and you could advance smithing ridiculously quickly (ignoring the exploit of smithing items you don't have the skill for, which allows that anyway). The cost is time; if you want to grind major smithing sessions, there's a cost in that the world is moving on without you while you rest. Sometimes that's fine if you were wounded, or are trying to get your wife pregnant, or your companions are doing recruitment runs; but sometimes you're missing quests, opportunities to to intervene in a conflict, time you should be consolidating before the next declaration of war, etc.

It's not unknowable; it's a cost. Because you can beat up bandits, get weapons, smelt weapons, get raw materials, refine materials, smith items, smelt items... there's very little waste in the system and you could advance smithing ridiculously quickly (ignoring the exploit of smithing items you don't have the skill for, which allows that anyway). The cost is time; if you want to grind major smithing sessions, there's a cost in that the world is moving on without you while you rest. Sometimes that's fine if you were wounded, or are trying to get your wife pregnant, or your companions are doing recruitment runs; but sometimes you're missing quests, opportunities to to intervene in a conflict, time you should be consolidating before the next declaration of war, etc.
I guess this is a first for me because I've never seen anyone asking for more grind until now. :party:

I stopped using smiting because the stuff I made and then destroyed would flood the shops inventory and be awarded as tournament prizes! It completely was immersion breaking. Has that bug been fixed yet?

Yeah i hope more get on board so TW decides it is worth it, a blacksmith that cant make armor kinda sucks
Maybe kind of a armor patching up like a remaster of the thing in VC?
when you could find the guys that sell them and pay them to upgrade you weapons and armors(i think) to balanced and heavy and smth.
Might be wrong about the armor part though

I like the interface and design system with different parts.

But I don't like the way the player is the smith and has to grind parts, it just makes no sense.

I also don't like how copies of smithed items show up in stores, but I expect that's not intended and will be fixed.

I'd prefer it if the system was going to the local smith and telling him to craft a weapon, the more fancy the longer time it would take for him to complete and the more gold it would cost.

Higher tier parts could for example be unlocked based on status related things, such as clan tier, fiefs, influence and being a vassal or king.

Maybe certain parts would only be obtainable through quests? Like the roman sword in brytenwalda, but instead it's the blade or holt from some legendary sword?

Something like that would be a huge improvement imo, it just doesn't make any sense that you as an adventurer or warlord would just walk into someone else's smithy and craft a fancy sword by yourself, even if you know how to do it.

I like it but only after installing 3 mods ( 1 that regenerates stamina as you travel, 1 that lets you unlock parts faster, and 1 that gives 2 skill points and 1 attribute point every time you level up) that make smithing (and everything else) less of a grind

But I don't like the way the player is the smith and has to grind parts, it just makes no sense.
The player doesn't have to do anything in smithing.You can forget about it completely if you want..

I'd prefer it if the system was going to the local smith and telling him to craft a weapon, the more fancy the longer time it would take for him to complete and the more gold it would cost.
Something like that would be a huge improvement imo, it just doesn't make any sense that you as an adventurer or warlord would just walk into someone else's smithy and craft a fancy sword by yourself, even if you know how to do it.
I personally think TW wanted to get much more integration for smithing but they never got there. Who knows why... I personally think they released the EA game earlier due to the Covid situation. Just remember, that time everyone predicted economical catastrophe... Maybe TW was afraid they will be not able to sell the product later at all.

When you walk in the town and find the blacksmith you can open up a conversation with him. You can ask him to use his smithy. I personally think TW wanted to add some more dialog options in there. For example as you suggested, hire him to craft some swords for you. It would be also easy to add an option to leave some companion in the smithy (with smithing skills) and tell the companion to craft some items for you. It's all there. It would be easy to add few more dialogs into the conversation with the blacksmith. Additionally, it could be also connected to the workshop/smithy and produce some nice income with higher level blacksmith companions. There are so many options..

When you walk in the town and find the blacksmith you can open up a conversation with him. You can ask him to use his smithy. I personally think TW wanted to add some more dialog options in there. For example as you suggested, hire him to craft some swords for you. It would be also easy to add an option to leave some companion in the smithy (with smithing skills) and tell the companion to craft some items for you. It's all there. It would be easy to add few more dialogs into the conversation with the blacksmith. Additionally, it could be also connected to the workshop/smithy and produce some nice income with higher level blacksmith companions. There are so many options..
Let's hope that their new smithy work will be like that because it just sound great.

Back
Top Bottom