Alternative to VLC media player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wheem

Grandmaster Knight
I frequently get issues when trying to use VLC to watch DVDs (totally legal and legit ones) on my machine. While it could possibly be a problem with my DVD drive itself, I don't really think that's the case since I haven't had any issues with games on disc. Is there some player out there that's similar to VLC (in that it's free, no adware, and can play DVDs)? I'd like to test some other software to see whether or not it's a hardware problem.

The specific problem I'm getting with VLC is that movies will sometimes either temporarily or permanently freeze up. The temporary freezes remind me of trying to watch a youtube video when your bandwidth is choked; it'll play for a few seconds, then freeze for a bit, then play a few more seconds, etc...Sometimes if I just sit and wait (irritatedly :evil:) it'll correct itself after a few minutes and play on normally. Sometimes restarting the software and/or my machine will correct the problem, and other times it doesn't.

While trying to watch a brand new DVD of Hardware (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099740/) there was one spot that perma-froze on me; I restarted the software twice, and both of those times it also froze in the exact same spot. I rebooted my machine and started up VLC again and it went right through that part of the movie without a hitch. But now, a little later in, I'm constantly having the stuttering play-stop-play-stop-play issue, making it impossible to follow the dialogue. I've restarted both the software and my machine, neither of which corrected the stutter. I took the disc out (which again, is brand new) and looked at the bottom of it, but don't see any scratches or anything.

All my VLC settings are default, and I just updated the player before starting the movie (though I've had the same problems with previous versions and previous films). Is there some setting that might be causing a problem?

You could try the DivX player, though I'm fairly sure just moving the film onto the hard drive and THEN watching it would fix your problems.

Back
Top Bottom