AI vs Player

Users who are viewing this thread

Selvhan

Knight
Is it possible that the AI get a bonus of armour and a bonus of dmg ? I have been wondering this for a long time and i would like to know what you guys think about that ?

I have a Noldor helm ( 60 armour ) A full plate 62 22 and some heavy greave 40 and finally some gauntlet 9. I often get killed by troop of lower rank using sword. And the funny thing is when i hit them with my Noldor longsword, it can take 3-4 and sometime 5 hit to kill them. I think i have 7 in power strike. Any clue on what is going on ?

my guess is that the lower rankink troop might use a blunt or piercing weapon. That way they can bypass your armor a bit better.

The great thing about this mod is that it's still a challenge even after you level up and have good stats. In Native you could wear the best armor and nobody could touch you.

With 7 in PS you are not guaranteed to one - hit - kill someone, if you are using a 1hander, you will kill in one hit the lower tier enemies that wear light armor, stronger foes will require some hacking and slashing.

You are getting blunt damage most likely, there are many low tier enemies that wield blunt weapons. For example, the Outlaws have a Maul, it has good damage and can crush trough blocks, it's drawback is that it's short and slow.

They don´t get boni at all. PoP uses the WB damage model. I reckon you´re forgetting the rather high level of the average mid tier trooper which´s usually lvl 20. Regular top tiers are level 30-60. So tier 3´s are almost your average Swadian Knight from MnB native.

How much damage a hit scores, depends on quite a few nasty things and the dreaded thing about it is, that relative speed works for and against you. Means if some peasant milita times it correctly, his warspear will simply kill you approaching on your awesome Noldor Spirit Horse at 50 km/h.

Hit´s to the head score even more damage. If you use a 1h sword you´ll have trouble killing armoured opponents if you slash only. The more if you use a bastard weapon with a shield. I don´t know how good of a melee fighter you are, but there are a few tricks like turning into your swing/stab to get a better speed modifer and turning off the opponents swing if you can´t block. It´s a tad hard to practice but good footwork is your friend :wink: And always keep the optimum distance for your sword. If you´re going toe to toe in melee´s you may want to use a shorter weapon as the further up towards the tip the connection point of sword/foe is, the more damage you deal. Which is the reason why an overhead smack with a Sarleon Halberd will cleave a Ravenstern Knight at optimum distance but make him laugh out loud and kill in close combat. So learn to judge your distance. Try to hit the weak spots of your foes - tinned head, thrust, cheap helmet slash, leather armor, slash to body, armored body but weak boots - slash to boots, etc. But generally, do more thrusts.

There are a couple of very good fighting guides in the beginners section of this forum, maybe you want to check them.

It´s the reason why I´m so fond of my standard weapon composition - heavy balanced lance and shield for lancing and piking, the Knights War Axe and shield for melee (headswings and headthrusts, you gotta love the spike!) and of course the Pendor Great Sword after a certain point because it simply kills stuff, often with a single hit if you aim for the head and 2-3 hits if you encounter a full tin can like a knight or similar. And it kills horses too.

Just try the various weapons till you got your favourite. 1h swords may look nice but aren´t the number 1 choice damage wise.

noosers said:
Just try the various weapons till you got your favourite. 1h swords may look nice but aren´t the number 1 choice damage wise.
But that means no shield (or take your take to equip it)
12 of your top tier archers shoot a mounted archer who is riding 15 meters away from them: only of them gets a hit after 3 volleys, and he only got to hit the horse
You gallop at full speed 50 meters away of one archer: headshot for not having a shield.

One of those things I hate of M&B/Warband  :mad: Once an archer aims the player, he'll never miss a shot if you don't move, and at full speed he still has a high chance of hitting you.

Selvhan said:
Is it possible that the AI get a bonus of armour and a bonus of dmg ? I have been wondering this for a long time and i would like to know what you guys think about that ?

I have a Noldor helm ( 60 armour ) A full plate 62 22 and some heavy greave 40 and finally some gauntlet 9. I often get killed by troop of lower rank using sword. And the funny thing is when i hit them with my Noldor longsword, it can take 3-4 and sometime 5 hit to kill them. I think i have 7 in power strike. Any clue on what is going on ?

Not really, i have gauntlets with +11, a helm with 52 armor and 5 body armor, greaves and i get killed a lot:grin: mainly because i try to capture my enemies.
Shield is a must have in this game, i like the fine jatu honor lance, rune bastard sword and heavy maul or whatever it's called, 50 blunt damage.
The sword is mostly for cavalry attacks, maul is for horse charge....most opponents on foot cant be killed from a good swipe from a sword like native.
The game is just finely tuned for optimum kills against the player:grin:
Choose more weapons since some are usefull in certain situations,
the war sword is good when fighting bandits in a village on FOOT, i kill an average of 13 on horse=780exp.
Against certain enemies kill the most important and maybe unmount an kill the rest on foot.
Against the jatu i actually like to be on foot in the initial charge with my maul and knock them out for money:grin:
Lances against cavalry, but i prefer to kill the weaklings first so i use sword and shield a lot
A bow is very usefull in certain situations where there a lot of crossbow men or archers, dont get your head shot off while trying to charge against 5 of them, you will lose everytime
Longer weapons against  cavalry.
Equip you companions with non horse weapons and make them foot knights, they dont level up faster because of a bug.....it's a lot better to be on foot in this game, and use more weapons in a combat
Talk to your troops to see their stats:grin: most of them have higher health than you since as a player you have to invest in party skills

I think i underestimated the average lvl of the enemy. I was something like 30 before the new patch and I add some problem against 2-3 empire crossbowman.

Also, has any of you live after you have been ambushed by 6 or 7 D'shar assassin in a village trap ? You companion should be with you ... Going all alone in the night is suicide in this game :grin:

Agreed there.  When its a double hand full of bandits, that one thing.  Fist time the assassins hit though, I was on the ground bleeding with six knives in my chest before I read the "You have been ambushed" message. 

heya :smile:

i know its frustrating going up against archers.. i personally cant stand the massive damage from thrown weapons even more so.  I run with three extra personal horses in my inventory when going against empire or snake they get lamed so much.. lol.  but i run the same set up in just about every game.

balanced warhammer/gladiator shield
balanced blunt polearm (cav heavy fights) or balanced two handed waraxe for fierd fights
large bago jarid :smile:  (to kill the horse not the rider) easier to kill when they aren't movin around so much..especially D'shar and valks.

as for my companions.. a nice thick huscurl shield on thier back does wonders.  I give them warhammers/glad shields, jarids and extra husky shield.  they seem to live longer :smile:

i love playing an archer char.. but it can get frustrating the amount of arrows and thrown that seem to find thier way to my head. lol.  but also keep in mind that archers and thrown alike have a blind spot to thier aim.  If your chasing down that horse archer and he cocks his bow.. simply moving to his opposite side will stop him from shooting.  still does not help you from frontal shots though. :smile:

ah well
cheers
z

Back
Top Bottom