AI battle Suicide

Users who are viewing this thread

Jellyfrog51

Recruit
Has anyone else noticed that AI parties are basically suiciding themselves at much bigger parties/armies?

I play without Mods or anything.

I had an army (1100) and started besieging, parties continued showing up during, an enemy army (600) showed up, and one of my parties (45) chased it down, far from me, and continued to re-attack. This has happened multiple times throughout the new campaign I started after the new update.

yeah they're assuming that you will join the battle and so they throw themselves at the enemy army first, its very annoying behavior that i hope gets patched

KgykT0Z.png

Sometimes the player wants small parties attacking and thus immobilizing big enemy parties/armies. Sadly there is no communication system in the game. A small party surely would ask per messenger wether the leader of an army would support them or not and act accordingly. Not possible in the game, so there is a problematic situation for the AI.

Sometimes the player wants small parties attacking and thus immobilizing big enemy parties/armies. Sadly there is no communication system in the game. A small party surely would ask per messenger wether the leader of an army would support them or not and act accordingly. Not possible in the game, so there is a problematic situation for the AI.
Good point, but it should be doable or? If the AI makes the decision to attack a bigger army there could just be a pop up message with "no/yes" option. Depending on what the players chooses the AI will or will not attack.

I think this would be cool if it doesn´t happen every 3 minutes or so.

Such a message system would be not only realistic (as we know that even people in the medieval times had a brain and the ability and need to communicate and coordinate) but a help for the terrible M+B AI in many situations. I lost hope in TW here and I'm not sure wether modders could do it. They made Diplomacy and Party Overhaul and Commands mods, perhaps it would be possible?

Has anyone else noticed that AI parties are basically suiciding themselves at much bigger parties/armies?

I play without Mods or anything.

I had an army (1100) and started besieging, parties continued showing up during, an enemy army (600) showed up, and one of my parties (45) chased it down, far from me, and continued to re-attack. This has happened multiple times throughout the new campaign I started after the new update.
This is quite frequent, especially with mercenary type factions. They are really aggressive and seem to not really mind about heavy losses.
Parties going suicidal are really useful in some situation though. When you are leading an army slower than another army, it comes in hands to have small parties chasing and engaging so you have time to catch them up.
And knowing a little about how AI is behaving on the map, a yes/no pop up message every time a small party wants to go all-in is just NG. Simply because sometimes the AI is stuck in some kind of loop (you see them going forward and backward) and the player would receive a constant spam of yes/no requests.
TW has to keep improving the AI and find the soft spot where it feels as natural as possible.

And knowing a little about how AI is behaving on the map, a yes/no pop up message every time a small party wants to go all-in is just NG. Simply because sometimes the AI is stuck in some kind of loop (you see them going forward and backward) and the player would receive a constant spam of yes/no requests.
TW has to keep improving the AI and find the soft spot where it feels as natural as possible.
Yes, that´s what I had in mind when I said "not every 3 minutes".

Sure, an overall AI improvement is the way to go but....

Yes, that´s what I had in mind when I said "not every 3 minutes".
Every seconds you mean.
Sure, an overall AI improvement is the way to go but....
I know... I'm no white knight or whatever, but for me AI decisions on the map clearly improved recently. I'm not speaking about diplomatic decisions, but how parties and armies are behaving, on a in-game hourly tick scale.
And we can only hope that they will keep working on it...

Last night a was in an army of about 400. An enemy army of about 500 came and several lords of our faction attacked them assuming our army would help I guess and instead the AI approached and sat just out of range until they lost. Then, rather than attack the army that was now weaker than us, they just turned and left. There's been a couple instances of weird stuff like this happening.
Unrelated but I feel the pathfinding is way worse in 1.8 as well. Sometimes I click on a destination and my character moves in the opposite direction or just stops while time continues. Really frustrating when you're trying to move around larger enemy parties.

i noticed that as well in 1.8. every so often small parties run into bigger ones instead of trying to escape. im not at war with the participating factions so the AI has no reason to think i could help them.

Great idea that would solve the issue and add more dynamic gamplay which is dearly, desperatly needed. Not gonna happen though.

If there was a system in place where the player can right click an enemy on the map when they are in view/close and click from the following:

1. Engage
2. Follow
3. Do Nothing

That way if there is an ally/allies nearby, they would know you are about to engage the enemy, thus engaging themselves.

Otherwise, if they are not strong enough to fight on their own, they evade.

They could have a added a few fun mechanics to address this

A. A Scout arrives at your camp and Asks/Begs/Insists/Pleads you come to their aid at a nearby battle in which your response effects relations with that Lord.

B. There was once an amazing Mod for this game called Reinforcements or the like - in which parties nearby a battle you are in could enter the Battle screen from the direction they were on the World map but they would only phase in after a delay depending on how close or far they were from your actual battle.

Back
Top Bottom