AI and sieges...

Do you think AI in sieges is still completely screwed up?

• Yes, indeed it is.

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Well, it could use some improvement...

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • I see no problem with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think it rocks... a dream come true

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oh, please... catapults, preety please.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

InstantBlade

Sergeant
Ok, I know AI and sieges has been pretty discussed by now, but I have been trying for a few days a few sieges with different factions on different castles, and I  really think the AI is still completely screwed.

The soldiers linger around, half the time don't decide if they should assault the castle or do a picnic.
They only seem to be able to follow you with some consistency (well, thank you - since we're the one's in the front being used as target practice). Everything else... a mess.
And they end up in a gory mess, too.

So, cast your vote, and if possible, leave your comment on what you think could really improve sieges (AI related, of course).

How can you even ask this?!
Of course they're Idiots, Dumbs, Losers, Braindeads, Casseroles and just completely nuts.
Always when I try to attack they just keep running towards the castles walls, like they would want inside 'em.
That's why I never siege.  :grin:

TJL said:
How can you even ask this?!
Of course they're Idiots, Dumbs, Losers, Braindeads, Casseroles and just completely nuts.
Always when I try to attack they just keep running towards the castles walls, like they would want inside 'em.
That's why I never siege.  :grin:

oh, you forgot woodheads, silly cabbages, and porridgebrains.
as you might understand I agreed with TJL.
maybe they think they are battering rams :lol:

Let me see... Let's start with...
1)Archers shooting the battlements.
2)Soldiers stuck on the ladder.
3)Soldiers standing still in a corner to "defend" a castle.
4)Archers not charging after ammo is expended.
5)Soldiers attempting to be us, soloing people at the top of the ladder.

So yeah, it needs fixing.

Last time I reluctantly entered a siege (only because my king was about to be captured) I made sure that I took all my companions' missile weapons off them first - otherwise they'd have hung around at the bottom of the ladder getting shot to death. A couple more orders would help: "Engage Hand to Hand" and "Skirmish".

I have a persisting system when it comes to sieges. Maximum damage reduction on yourself, because without your guidance inside the walls they're useless. There's archers on every wall and corner, so once you go inside you're perforated and have to hide outside and hope it all goes well. However, it doesn't. All your men will die without your help.

There's a Khergit castle, don't recall which one, where the defenders don't defend the wall at all and the battle leads straight into a courtyard surrounded by archer towers.
The troop AI really shines there, your troops walk up the ramp, stand around looking confused until they eventually find their way into the middle of the courtyard where they all start running on the spot and being arrow fodder.
I've had to take that castle a few times completely solo.

Oh, was the last of my experiments... It went quite well, simply because i used mostly archers (tired of infantry and cav being torn to pieces). And practiced a bit of archery myself on some of the enemies that were shooting my ppl from the back (and they wouldn't even look at them... the now deceased dicks).

Back
Top Bottom