About Monarchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Oh, I was concentrating more on the this part of your post:
Amman de Stazia said:
Ironic, given that the real power of the modern world is money, and money is passed from parent to child without question
but you're not wrong in your example. Although, if the landlord dies, it doesn't really matter if the person who takes over is his child or not, since things are going to be different anyway. Odds are, it's better if the new landlord is the old one's child because he/she has likely had previous contact with the tenants and they know what to expect.

Family businesses are a pretty good example. The younger generation is often involved in the business from a young age, because it's in the interests of the family. The younger generation being actively involved also shows clear signs to the employees that their future is at least somewhat secure from that point of view, in that they know the next generation won't sell the business off as soon as their parents die.

Lithuania was a kingdom for about 40+ years, later it became Grand Duchy of Lithuania and then it was annexed with poland, by russia, prussia, austria in 1795.

Answer to NikeBG's question.

Untitled. said:
Amman de Stazia said:
Ironic, given that the real power of the modern world is money, and money is passed from parent to child without question
but you're not wrong in your example. Although, if the landlord dies, it doesn't really matter if the person who takes over is his child or not, since things are going to be different anyway. Odds are, it's better if the new landlord is the old one's child because he/she has likely had previous contact with the tenants and they know what to expect.

Family businesses are a pretty good example. The younger generation is often involved in the business from a young age, because it's in the interests of the family. The younger generation being actively involved also shows clear signs to the employees that their future is at least somewhat secure from that point of view, in that they know the next generation won't sell the business off as soon as their parents die.

Aha! Yes, I see... Tax erodes the power of the inherited money....

I like your arguments about family business...  What if we consider monarchy to be the "family business" of running the country?
Can we apply the same arguments in favour of Family continuity?

Amman de Stazia said:
Untitled. said:
Amman de Stazia said:

Aha! Yes, I see... Tax erodes the power of the inherited money....

I like your arguments about family business...  What if we consider monarchy to be the "family business" of running the country?
Can we apply the same arguments in favour of Family continuity?
Yes and no. A future monarch is naturally granted proper education and expectations. On the other hand, it doesn't always turn out so great. But really, a family business being sold is IMO more like a country being invaded, since the people can't be sure if they get to keep their jobs and property. Voting for (ideally) the most competent candidate feels like a much better system than a monarchy, in theory at least.
The fact that people are retards and easy to manipulate through authorities like school and culture makes it a less than ideal proposition.

In essence, all government forms are shaky and ****, and it doesn't matter what the heads of state do either way.

Myself im more a Monarchist guy, i like when there is the one and true ruler of the country, but ofcourse when a parliament is ruling too. Monarchy shows country's pride and history.  Well thats just my opinion

BerserkerRezo said:
Myself im more a Monarchist guy, i like when there is the one and true ruler of the country, but ofcourse when a parliament is ruling too. Monarchy shows country's pride and history.  Well thats just my opinion

A case can be made for a Monarch who embodies the cultural power, whilst the government is democratic and holds the real political power.

You could even argue that a Monarch knows more about leadership rather than having to spend most of their career as 'the opposition' and trying to claw down or discredit their rivals within the party or of the opposing party. A Monarch is assured, and in a modern context they know that they cannot afford to act outside the interest of the people or lose public favour, as this could be enough to have the Monarchy disbanded.

King Juan Carlos I of Spain prevented a military coup of Spanish Parliament in 1981. I only underline it because to me that feels ludicrously recent. He did this by making a public television appeal making the people aware of what was going on, denouncing the coup, and appealing to them that if they loved democracy they would not allow this to happen. I believe he also personally contacted senior members of the military to make them step down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23-F
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/23/newsid_2518000/2518825.stm

That for me is the strongest case for a Monarchy, he had no political power to make 'Orders' or 'Demands' of these people, but through leadership and being this cultural embodiment he was able to prevent a serious blow against democracy in his country.

''The Crown, the symbol of the permanence and unity of the nation, cannot tolerate, in any form, actions or attitudes of people attempting by force to interrupt the democratic process. A process which the Constitution, voted for by the Spanish people, determined by referendum.''
King Juan Carlos I, 1981​

Úlfheðinn said:
As a Swede I would as well, to me our current monarchy is marked by a series of poor decisions and embarrassing representatives.

They're awesome representatives! King Carl's hats are legendary!  :lol:

Nah but from an outside perspective I like the Swedish royalty. What's wrong with them from yours?

A series of embarrassing or silly scandals, like the King partying it up with strippers, having some shady friends and praising an African dictator as friends of Sweden have they murdered a sizable portion of their ethnic opponents.

Then we have our wonderful Queen, who recently tried to stop a journalist from writing about how her father (a German immigrant to Brazil) profited from Nazi slave labor, because hey, who didn't see the Second World War as a time of great economic opportunity?

Generally, I just find the monarchy outdated and a waste of money, as well as being hard to reconcile with our current constitution. In the long term, I also worry about how long we are going to have to pay for the Royal Family, especially now that they are starting to have children.

:lol:

Didn't we just go over ancestry vs. country of birth in the other thread, and more or less overwhelmingly decide that country of birth decides your national identity? Anyways, Sweden essentially stole a French marshal. The story is hilarious and it makes me like them even more.

Úlfheðinn said:
having some shady friends and praising African dictators as friends of Sweden have they murdered a sizable portion of their ethnic opponents.

Sounds like being a national leader to me.

I don't care what you agreed on. It literally dies not move me at all. The royal family might wave a Swedish flag but we all know the king reports directly to the French secret service.

Úlfheðinn said:
Then we have our wonderful Queen, who recently tried to stop a journalist from writing about how her father (a German immigrant to Brazil) made his wealth from Nazi slave labor, because hey, who didn't see the war as a time of great economic opportunity?

Well not Sweden, that's for sure. They got scot-free out of the devastation and invasions by trading with Germany.

:lol:

To be clear, I don't judge her for the actions of her father, but I do find it disturbing that her reaction to someone publishing information about his war time actions is to try and suppress it through coercive means.

Úlfheðinn said:
Generally, I just find the monarchy outdated and a waste of money, as well as being hard to reconcile with our current constitution. In the long term, I also worry about how long we are going to have to pay for the Royal Family, especially now that they are starting to have children.

Aren´t royal families in Europe rather profitable? As in beneficial for the economy? I mean, they might have expensive cars and attire (and that still does not prevent some to have ill-fitted tailcoats. Hello, Danes... ) and you need to heat their palaces, but official wedding or ceremony make money work.

Back
Top Bottom