About Monarchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

What do you think, why monarchies in XX c. Died so fastly? And till today it is hard to have a monarch.
I know that there were lots of wars in XX c. and also there were WW1 and WW2 but besides wars.

Who exactly abdicated because of the Reds? Bulgarian Tsar, Yugoslavian king, and? I think newly-created countries tend to pick non-royalty head of states. Hence the cluster****  that once was nice Österreichisch-Ungarische Monarchie, also Poland from Prussia, Baltic countries from Russia / Prussia and Germany, cause someone did not like how badass Kaiserreich sounds.

BenKenobi said:
Who exactly abdicated because of the Reds? Bulgarian Tsar, Yugoslavian king, and? I think newly-created countries tend to pick non-royalty head of states. Hence the cluster****  that once was nice Österreichisch-Ungarische Monarchie, also Poland from Prussia, Baltic countries from Russia / Prussia and Germany, cause someone did not like how badass Kaiserreich sounds.
Bulgarian Tsar Boris III died before the Soviets arrived; his predecessor and father was forced to abdicate by a leftist (if not communist) revolution after WW1, IIRC. The Yugoslav King... I am not sure but I believe he was in exile while Tito took over with the help of the Red Army. The Romanian King Michael was actually forced at gunpoint to sign his abdication and leave the country (he's still alive btw).
Oh, and Nicholas II of Russia was pretty much killed to death by the Reds.

Tsar Boris III didn't resign - he died, some believe he was poisoned by Hitler. It was his son, Simeon II, whose regency was put to "trial" (and killed), while the child-monarch and the tsar's family were exiled (technically never signing an abdication), after a "referendum" "voted" in favour of a republic. Then again, the same Simeon II later returned from exile and was elected for prime minister in 2001...

BerserkerRezo said:
What do you think, why monarchies in XX c. Died so fastly? And till today it is hard to have a monarch.
I know that there were lots of wars in XX c. and also there were WW1 and WW2 but besides wars.

Belgium
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Luxembourg
Sweden
Lithuania
Denmark

So really, the question is arse about.

Why did only Germany, Austria, France, Portugal, Italy and Eire, remove their monarchies?

Amman de Stazia said:
Belgium
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Luxembourg
Sweden
Lithuania
Denmark

So really, the question is arse about.

Why did only Germany, Austria, France, Portugal, Italy and Eire, remove their monarchies?

Good point, plenty of monarchies hanging around still.

I think a major factor is that fascism and communism both seem incompatible with monarchy, and the 20th Century saw plenty of both in Europe. Excuse my ignorance if wrong, but didnt the Spanish monarchy end/leave under Franco and then was restored after Franco's death?

Luxembourg is a Principality, does that count as Monarchy too?

Amman de Stazia said:
Why did only Germany, Austria, France, Portugal, Italy and Eire, and Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania, Serbia/Yugoslavia and Montenegro remove their monarchies?
Fixed.

Whether or not to include the Ottoman Empire/Turkey depends on whether you regard it as part of Europe or not.
Or we might be looking beyond Europe, and add a ton of other deceased monarchies to the list.

First of all, monarchies did not end so fast. And many did not even die.
However if you are asking why monarchies are not legit anymore is because the world has changed and moved on making monarchy and its feudal social relations historically obsolete.
The change in social and economic relations followed in the ideological paradigms of enlightenment making the idea that someone has the right to rule because of his ancestry is un-reasonable.

He specifically asked about the west.

Besides which, lux is a grand duchy and licht is a county- but both are hereditary monarchies.

As Dogukan said, people now question what makes a good ruler...  A ruler decides how many people live their lives, and the identity of the ruler's parents is no longer seen as sufficient qualification.

Ironic, given that the real power of the modern world is money, and money is passed from parent to child without question, and in the example I gave on the fascism thread, the rights of landlord over tenant can also be passed from
Parent  to child without question.

Without question? Only if your government doesn't infringe on your right to give your property to whomever you wish through, say, some form of inheritance tax.

Tax is just money. It does not affect the power that is transferred by the passing of landlord status from me to my heir. Unless, of course, it devalues the property to the point where my heir is indebted, forced to mortgage the property, and the ultimate control of the property is then split between my heir and the lender.
The point is that my tenants are to some extent (local laws may vary the extent) under my control. If I leave the property to my son as heir, then my tenants are under his control to the same extent.
It may be that my tenants liked me, and were happy with me as landlord.  They may have chosen my property because they liked me. When the property passes to another landlord, they are given no choice in the matter other than to leave. Leaving may incur loss of a bond, and certainly incur inconvenience.

Of course, it is not the same as an absolute monarchy. But the principle of power being passed from one person to the other without checks on their suitability, applies to both situations.

Back
Top Bottom