Ability to raise shield vertically over head

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi, this is my first activity in the forum, although I have been a MB player all the way back right after MB1 launched.
So, this is a personal issue for me I have wished to be implemented ever since Ive done my first siege, It is the ability to raise your shield either higher in the air, or straight up to the sky, sort of like the roman tortoise formation. I feel like it is a must have in the game, because its the best way to be protected against archer fire, especially in moments like standing in a gatehouse and people shoot down on you. It also allows for novelty formations, such as the mentioned tortoise formation. I think it is something that wouldnt pose a great trouble(?) to be implemented but in my opinion it would add great value to the game, especially sieges, and especially multiplayer.

Edit: Im glad that all of you agree that it would be a cool addition to the gamee, and the reason I registered here in the forum and posted it because I thought "How hard would it be for the devs to do that? For the value it would add in my opinion". Now, I dont know anything about programing so correct me if Im wrong and maybe I dont see certain problems with it, but my goal was just to throw it in the room, and see where it goes.

Just keep in mind that this feature would only be useful during seiges. Out in the open, it is required for you to shoot your arrow at a 45 degree angle for it to achieve it's maximum distance.

So no formations needed. Just have ai do this when seiging.

That being said, any higher and the arrow would fall victim to it's terminal velocity. Unless the arrow weighs a lot, I doubt it would do any damage provided that you had a helmet on.

If anyone knows physics feel free to correct me or further prove the point. I can't find any good articles disproving movies for doing this ****.

But yeah I like the idea.

I would also like to have it where you can lower the shield to cover your lower extremities.  Just allowing to have points in the shield skill and carrying a tiny shield out in front and in the middle, while not even half trying to cover their legs and others aiming for their legs, but magically sticking to their shield is ridiculous.

Isnt the topic name confusing ?
I mean raising itself is done vertically you cant ''raise'' sth horizonally :lol:
It should have been sth like '' keeping the shield over the head '' or ''using shield like an umbrella''

Anyways, I would love this.
In fact I would want these turtoise like tactics to be ''Empire exclusive''.
This would imply how imperial infantries were more disciplined than other kingdoms.

Everytime I think of wanting this, I think about the uruks in helms deep, on the bridge. I think everyone who plays the big sieges in warband regularly sees times where that feature would be very useful.

We already know that directional shield blocking in melee is in the game. Who knows maybe it will have an effect on coverage against missiles too. Probably not completely overhead as you suggested, but a high block plus leaning back might come close.

Apposso said:
dude, this has got nothing to do with raising over ones head, like in a tortoise formation

It is enough though.
There is no such thing like ''raining arrows'' in mount and blade.
Simply because battles are not that crowded so that archers cannot simply hit someone by ''raining arrows'' so raising the shield as much as that would be useless.

The one we see is (also consider that you can look upwards after doing it) is more than enough for sieges.

These are my opinion though.

Apposso said:
dude, this has got nothing to do with raising over ones head, like in a tortoise formation

Implementing a tortoise/testudo formation in a way that it will work and be worthwhile will be difficult in my opinion.
The game has many more formations anyway that will give us many options.

That's a good idea, but may be a little OP, especially big shield wielding troops. I don't know if TW is able to afford too much balancing issues at launch.

As far as i know, holding shield upward is not something you would want because of stamina. I remember reading: in a battle archers especially fired vertically to exahaust shield holding soldiers.

HUMMAN said:
As far as i know, holding shield upward is not something you would want because of stamina. I remember reading: in a battle archers especially fired vertically to exahaust shield holding soldiers.

That's a very good point I had not thought about so far. Holding a shield, especially a tower shield (scutum), up for any length of time must be exhausting. Maybe you could partially rest it on your helmet, but that might get uncomfortable and strenuous too. Was there a trick the legion used for the testudo? Interesting.

Well not all shields are heavily armored ones. If you have a larger wooden shield, as a mature person, you should be able to hold that over your head for a bit, also because you can partially support it with your helmet. Not a reason to not implement this. Stamina in general doesnt matter in mb, so why even bring it up?

John C said:
HUMMAN said:

That's a very good point I had not thought about so far. Holding a shield, especially a tower shield (scutum), up for any length of time must be exhausting. Maybe you could partially rest it on your helmet, but that might get uncomfortable and strenuous too. Was there a trick the legion used for the testudo? Interesting.

I don't think Bannerlord will have a limit on stamina.

I've always thought that it'd be better if shields lost their magical shield barrier and replaced it with better shield control that allows you to protect your extremities, like fully covering your toes if you think an archer is aiming to foot-shot you.

Back
Top Bottom