A siege dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

Balinux

Sergeant Knight
So I was attacked by the nord armies and this time I'm quite prepared to resist them. The problem is, as their infantry climbs up the ladder, their skirmishers simply wont and I cant lead my men to meet them down there:

there aren't enough arrows amongst the fallen to deal with the nords and charging down the ladder to fight them all is just crazy. So I decided to jump off the castle somewere else and approach from a flank to kill them off, piece by piece, but even that has proven ineffective.
So how can one deal with this crappy situation, brought forward by the deficient AI?

Yeah that happens all the time, very annoying. Try to make you men "hold this position" on the ladder, or order them to move forward ten paces. Sometimes it works, depends on the castle really.

I hate that.
Whenever I get a chance to prepare for a siege defense, I bring a shield, crossbow, and two bags of bolts. Then I try to only take shots at enemy archers that are actively threatening, and save precious ammunition for ending the battle.

It's damn annoying, and since I'm defending my own castle, it would be great have more bolts on hand somewhere... I can't get to the chest in the keep.

Well, in a situation like that, if you are defending the siege, it's like having to face an army of sitting ducks :grin:
Just get your archers follow you to a comfy position, and watch they farming XPs like hell. This is even more true if you consider that, as defenders, your men get their scabbards refilled every 2 minutes or so.

If you are the attacker, it sucks big times. But as already said in this topic (and in the other ~123456 topics about sieges posted before this), the Hold Position + Advance 10 Paces combo typically does the trick.

I usually just bring along a bow or cross bow with 3 slots filled with ammunition, since a good bag of bolts is harder to locate then a mace or spear.

Alternatively, you could arm yourself with a jousting lance or poleaxe and try to pick them off halfway down the ladder.

They'd just shoot me.

alanthir.meriandon said:
Well, in a situation like that, if you are defending the siege, it's like having to face an army of sitting ducks :grin:
Just get your archers follow you to a comfy position, and watch they farming XPs like hell. This is even more true if you consider that, as defenders, your men get their scabbards refilled every 2 minutes or so.

If you are the attacker, it sucks big times. But as already said in this topic (and in the other ~123456 topics about sieges posted before this), the Hold Position + Advance 10 Paces combo typically does the trick.

I started this tread to address this problem is particular.

My skirmishers just wont follow those commands, and trying to get my men to charge down the ladder like that, would just result in them being slaughtered group by group. It would be even worse then attacking the castle myself. The discipline skirmish sound's good though, but in this situation in particular I dont have the required ammunition and they are just too many...

Tankai said:
They'd just shoot me.

so lon' as they have ammo left they will sit outside and wait for new targets.. the trick is to give 'em a fresh target to shoot at and waste their ammo.. grab a big shield and be that bait!

Red River said:
Tankai said:
They'd just shoot me.

so lon' as they have ammo left they will sit outside and wait for new targets.. the trick is to give 'em a fresh target to shoot at and waste their ammo.. grab a big shield and be that bait!

This is true. You can also dodge the arrows to prolong your life/shield. Baiting them is the most deperate approach, but it does indirectly attack the problem.

And you can always say "Follow me!" to whichever of your men have the biggest shields and make them into bait, too. Eventually the Nords will run out of ammo and scale the walls to be killed. I noticed in quite a lot of siege defences there would be one enemy left sitting under the ladder, doing nothing (he must read this forum...) and it was necessary to either go down and kill him or pick him off myself because my archers were all out of arrows by this time.

i hav'nt had this problem myself yet since i only hold one castle, but its similar when attacking a castle, i play as Khergit and most my men just do the same thing, stand at the bottom of the ladder, this is also a big problem as i'm always having to charge with the first men who attack, try to get in the castle and tell everyone to follow, but when it's only skirmishers and theres 30 men waiting for me, it's impossible, also you'd think because your in a castle there would be a hefty supply of arrows, or maybe a few barrels of oil would do the trick

alanthir.meriandon said:
as defenders, your men get their scabbards refilled every 2 minutes or so

I hate the fact that you can't fetch your own arrows in your own castle defense. Your ammo should refill automatically too, even if at a slower rate.

whats said:
alanthir.meriandon said:
as defenders, your men get their scabbards refilled every 2 minutes or so

I hate the fact that you can't fetch your own arrows in your own castle defense. Your ammo should refill automatically too, even if at a slower rate.

Yes, that blows. And I also hate that you can't access your inventory as an attacker. I have to hope that they knock unconscious some of my Marksmen asap, so I can get their arrows and use them with even more profit than they'd do.

Back
Top Bottom