A Dragon or a Lightsaber?

Would you rather have a dragon or a lightsaber?

• Dragon

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Lightsaber

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Anyone But Manslayer

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Teofish said:
All easily deflected by the lightsaber.

Providing you have the superhero abilities to wield one. Ever notice how, aside from a droid with some really creepy quartet of wrists, only two, maybe three types of people use them?

And would it even work against projectile weapons?

Magorian Aximand said:
Seff said:
Yes, it tends to burn matter, including bullets. It will not deflect them, it'll eat them.

So you won't get hit by a bullet, but rather by a molten blob of metal. Lovely! :razz:
The fumes of them, maybe? Judging by the movies, the blade evaporates anything at about the width of the blade. :razz:

Check out when Qui-Gon is cutting through those doors on the trade federation ship in the beginning of episode one. He was met with considerable resistance, especially when they closed the blast doors. Much of the metal simply began to heat and melt, and Qui-Gon was unable to just quickly slice a square in the door. Certainly, those doors are much larger than a bullet, but what this tells us is that evaporation isn't instant. The speed at which the bullet is traveling might cause problems for you. :razz:

But when Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back cuts that thick metal pole in the final duel, the blade goes through it effortlessly. Same with Boba Fett's gun in Return of the Jedi. Or when Vader throws his lightsaber; the railing of that stage (or what) gives in easily, it doesn't even thwart the momentum of the lightsaber.

Bromden said:
But when Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back cuts that thick metal pole in the final duel, the blade goes through it effortlessly. Same with Boba Fett's gun in Return of the Jedi. Or when Vader throws his lightsaber; the railing of that stage (or what) gives in easily, it doesn't even thwart the momentum of the lightsaber.

All of which are dealing either with significantly less mass than the doors or significantly less speed than the bullet. I'm not saying the saber is inefficient, I'm just saying there's reason to be cautious of its abilities to stop solid projectiles moving several times the speed of sound.

Wookiepedia said:
When cutting through dense material, the immense electromagnetic field generated by the arc caused resistance rather than letting solid matter enter and interrupt the arc. This gave the blade a feeling of being solid when immersed in dense material.

The bolded part suggests to me that the bullet would either evaporate or bounce off the blade. If it's not a cortosis bullet, of course.

Considering you had the inhuman reflexes to catch a bullet with it, you could probably position the laser in way to make the bullet pass through the entire lenght of the blade. Ain't no bullet gonna pass that yo.

EDIT: Ninja Bro nailed it. Wookiepedia doesn't lie.

Bromden said:
Wookiepedia said:
When cutting through dense material, the immense electromagnetic field generated by the arc caused resistance rather than letting solid matter enter and interrupt the arc. This gave the blade a feeling of being solid when immersed in dense material.

The bolded part suggests to me that the bullet would either evaporate or bounce off the blade. If it's not a cortosis bullet, of course.

Possibly. Though from the same article, "The power of the energy blade was so great that it could cut through almost anything, although the speed through which it cut depended on the density of the subject." This suggests that there is some math involved, the variables of which we'd have to know to calculate this problem properly. The case could be such that the bullet could not be dense enough for the blade's field to repel it, but pass through quickly enough that the blade's "cutting speed" is not fast enough to eliminate the bullet entirely. Leaving you with molten shrapnel coming out the other side.

Again, I'm not stating anything with certainty. Just advising caution. :razz:

Dude. Neo with a lightsaber and a Colt peacemaker. Think about it.

EDIT: Sneaky Mag ninja. The only variable for lightsaber is awesomness, and I'm quite sure it's awesome enough too. I would trust my first-born son's life to a lightsaber.

Back
Top Bottom