268 B.C. Multiplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

So what are some of yall's thoughts on 268 B.C. for Multiplayer?

Clearly the mod is originally meant for campaign, but I fully intend on making a few stages for multiplayer, such as a Carthage or Rome scenario, perhaps Athens.

It will be interesting to see how the weapons and present combat system for the mod plays out on multiplayer server.
Might be something to see a full player phalanx vs phalanx for example.

Thats an awsome idea E.
Well since i am living in south america i wont be able to play in the us servers (so i won't be able to play multiplayer cuz they wont bring a southamerican server) but, that really bad thing apart, i think it would be great, those weapons change everything also do the armors.
As always you are doing well E very well.

OH! and happy 2010!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Player filled phalanxes might be a nice thing to watch, but would they be fun to play? I think it'd be more awesome if one team had five elephants and fifteen players (three per elephants) and the other team a big ass phalanx. :lol:

or form a testudo or lead cavalry charges :grin:

btw, I know that warband is max 32 players (64?), but are bots part of that? it would be cool if everyone could command like a squad and go for total war style :grin:

FrisianDude said:
Player filled phalanxes might be a nice thing to watch, but would they be fun to play? I think it'd be more awesome if one team had five elephants and fifteen players (three per elephants) and the other team a big ass phalanx. :lol:
The problem is that ass-phalanxes are quite vulnerable from the rear.

I dunno, actually I'm hoping the multiplayer will be changed before its final release. At the moment its quite annoying. Its really a competition to see who can jump the highest and go streaking the best right now. Some basic things still need to be done to make it anything worthwhile playing, like restricting movement while shooting and in my opinion disabling the jump function completely. Until thats done the only mods I can see thriving in multiplayer is firearms mods like Age of Blackpowder because the guns are innacurate enough so that spazzing out and jumping around to dodge bullets really isn't worth the sweat, and forming a firing squad would be a painfully obvious path to victory.

So really I'll just cross my fingers and hope things get better for now. Once they release the final multiplayer we'll see what needs to be done to encourage team tactics, formations and the like. As it stands right now...it'l be a group of naked individuals trying to jerk in 4 directions at once while sporadically slashing at stuff with the longest weapon they could find and 2 shields strapped to their backs. :shock:

That being said, if the new version of 268BC is anything like the last, I'd say as far as weapons and armor go it'd already be in pretty good shape for multiplayer. People will get smart after a while and start trying team formations, shield walls and phalanxes etc. would begin to show up and eventually become commonplace. Phalanxes would be even more powerful as real players would be smart enough to switch between sword and spear depending on the situation. We'll see I suppose, We'll see... :twisted:

It's way too easy to get past a spearpoint in this game, honestly, for me to think a multiplayer phalanx is even almost a good idea.  Especially a Macedonian one.  The fact that a spearpoint presents no actual danger except during an attack makes it far too complicated.

ealabor said:
So what are some of yall's thoughts on 268 B.C. for Multiplayer?.
My thoughts? That the mod would at last enable the the nudist fanatics indulge into their fantasy without being an eyesore to the other players. :lol: I even wouldn't mind playing a gaul wearing nothing but torcs and a helmet now and then myself :lol:

Speaking of which I just got done watching some film, which suggests the reason being for their sometimes bareness, was infact to keep from clothing tearing off and lodging into their wounds.

Seems the clothing fragments inside their wounds would cause infection.

I know some of us were having the discussion about it some time ago. Figured i'd throw that bit in

Yeah one of the worst things about M&B is how much the spear & shield sucks, If the spear was made to passively damage other characters based on speed etc I think it would be alot better.

Seleucid cataphracts (did I get it right?) vs Ptolemaic phalanx seems fun to me. But it really depends on how good the phalanx works and how good cataphracts are. You should also be a more barbaric scenario. Germania vs Gaul in a dense forest or something like that.

azrael23 said:
Yeah one of the worst things about M&B is how much the spear & shield sucks, If the spear was made to passively damage other characters based on speed etc I think it would be alot better.

Only if one hadn't moved, or no more than a mouse movement of a few degrees, for like half a second.
Or with a spear bracing stance that wouldn't be instantaneous to switch to, but with which you could only move to a slow walking pace and would be ineffective for a split second each your turning rate is too high.

268 needs to be playable online. Phalanxes and stuff would probably not work out great, but it would still be awesome.

The way i see it it would be Awesome Pretend like E is our General and im and he tells us how to attack like im an Velite and i get the order of only Equiping missiles it would be Awesome!
With Formations and stuff :twisted:

I think it would make perfect sense to have passive damage for the spear if you could also knock it out of the way.

This whole question got me curious about Warband's progress and I played it agian for the first time in a few months. It seems the jumping issue is alot less problematic than it was. The real problems now are:

1. Movement speed! People being able to move as fast as they can now (which is the same speed as in the current Mount&Blade single player) enables people to do the "cowards dance". Anyone whose played Call of Duty on PC is familiar with this. Run around in circles while firing the biggest gun with the largest clips they could find. Same here except that instead of firing weapons their running in and out of range of each others swords and taking quick swings here and there. Its a dance competition instead of a battle, and you rarely feel any satisfaction from taking down an enemy because your probably feeling bad about the amount of self respect you just lost in the process.

2. Screen turn rate contributing to swing speed and damage. Its unbelievable how effective it is to quickly jerk your mouse all the way accross the pad. Even if the other guys starts swinging first you can beat him like this. He just swung and moved his mouse a little to add to the impact, whereas you practically threw your mouse in one direction and therefore won. Can anyone say stupid? The animations can hardly keep up and most of the time if your on the other side of a "mouse-throw" attack you hardly even see the guy move. Nobody can swing a two-hander that fast, nobody.

So my earlier statement about a phalanx working is now obsolete. The best you might get is a group of people all using spears and walking back and forth as unpredictably as possible while jabbing at the nearest enemy once and then retreating. Who knows it might even be somewhat effective...but don't expect me to join in.

We successfully got a couple shield walls going in a battle between the nords and khergits though. Everyone got shields and we lined up inside a broken building and waited for the kergits to come after us. It wasn't generally very effective as they just stood a few feet away and shot under our shields from point blank range. Then some tried to rush out and deal with them and broke the shield wall and...well that was the end of that. We did have success one round though. :grin:

The remedy in my opinion would be to slow movement ALOT. Make people walk in sort of a crouhched down "**** I'm under fire and hiding behind a shield" sort of way at all times and lower the damage inflicted by arrows as well as making arrows easier to see when in flight. Then everyone'd be forced to work together more and try to trick the enemy rather than spaz out in front of them.

Anyway, time to go make my case in the warband forums, though i doubt Taleworlds is interested in making any major changes this late in the beta.  :cry:

sirwho said:
2. Screen turn rate contributing to swing speed and damage. Its unbelievable how effective it is to quickly jerk your mouse all the way accross the pad. Even if the other guys starts swinging first you can beat him like this. He just swung and moved his mouse a little to add to the impact, whereas you practically threw your mouse in one direction and therefore won. Can anyone say stupid? The animations can hardly keep up and most of the time if your on the other side of a "mouse-throw" attack you hardly even see the guy move. Nobody can swing a two-hander that fast, nobody.

Omg...

I just had an epiphany...
People are using strike by mouse movement? I'm using strike by inverted mouse movement... Is that why they always manage to connect faster than I ?  :neutral:

Back
Top Bottom