2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

The differences between black men and women is interesting. Turns out racism is much less related to skin colour than to gender and skin colour.
That lines up very well with criminal data, showing black men doing more crime than others. So the discrimination reflects reality.
If those crime rates among black men could be brought down, it might (almost surely based on these findings) reduce discrimination towards them.
(Along with other factors of course. Things like marriage and father figures etc.)
The current lootings that have followed the protests have only amplified the stereotype.

That lines up very well with criminal data, showing black men doing more crime than others. So the discrimination reflects reality.
If those crime rates among black men could be brought down, it might (almost surely based on these findings) reduce discrimination towards them.

The most extreme acts of racist violence in the USA have been against black communities where there was little to no excess crime. Lynch mobs even came up with the idea of inventing crimes to punish innocent black people for and then murder them. Saying "all black people need to do is stop committing crime and discrimination will drop!!" is a dangerous road to go down because it places the responsibility for racism in the hands of its victims.

The most extreme acts of racist violence in the USA have been against black communities where there was little to no excess crime. Lynch mobs even came up with the idea of inventing crimes to punish innocent black people for and then murder them. Saying "all black people need to do is stop committing crime and discrimination will drop!!" is a dangerous road to go down because it places the responsibility for racism in the hands of its victims.
I mean no offense, Jacob, because what you say is correct but that's old news, taken from decades ago, for the most part. Lynch mobs are a thing from the 60s and 70s and was especially true in rural areas. Can we agree that these are the same areas that support Donald Trump today and see where that leads?

I think part of what he's explaining (correct me if I'm wrong) is the implication of placing a higher burden on a disadvantaged class. For example: ''Sure, black people face adversities, but the best they can do is just be better'' is tacitly accepting discrimination as a fact of society. The precedent you set is that you are responsible to overcome systemic disadvantages to your class. The advantaged in a way decide the playing field and set the obstacles the disadvantaged must overcome. The disadvantaged must always play keep-up relative to the advantaged, and when they can't, they're scrutinized for it.

No one chooses a life of crime, which is evident from statistics. It's a systemic issue that is a task for society as a whole, especially its politicians.
I'm not suggesting individuals should just stop being criminals. Then crime would have been solved a long time ago, because it's a terrible life to lead.
By fighting crime you could have a higher success rate in bringing down racism. Attack the problem from two sides, so to speak.
“It’s not just being black but being male that has been hyper-stereotyped in this negative way, in which we’ve made black men scary, intimidating, with a propensity toward violence,” said Noelle Hurd, a psychology professor at the University of Virginia.

The issue is that what happened in the past has a very real consequence on the conditions of black people today. Lynching was only the most evident form of aggression, there were more subtle ways of discriminating that kept going for much longer, and are in part still around.

Here is a long, but in my opinion very interesting, read on the topic that I was sent recently by a friend.

The way I see it, the USA as a whole has not yet accepted responsibility for slave trafficking and the events that followed through.

Major exaggeration. American ships did not bring slaves to the New World, Spanish and Portuguese ships did. I refuse to take responsibility for something a small minority of Americans did hundreds of years ago. Hell, I'm originally from New Jersey which never had slaves.

Major exaggeration. American ships did not bring slaves to the New World, Spanish and Portuguese ships did. I refuse to take responsibility for something a small minority of Americans did hundreds of years ago. Hell, I'm originally from New Jersey which never had slaves.

Did you actually read the article that I linked? Give it a try. I am saying this genuinely, no sarcasm here. There's a lot in there that I had no idea about, and I suspect that most people are in the same boat. However we might feel about the issue, there's nothing to lose in learning new things.

"as far back as you want to go", you have no way of knowing that for sure, but that is irrelevant. It's not about your individual responsibility, or mine. Too much time has passed now, and it is impossible to trace down responsibility of individuals and families (at least in most cases. One thing that I learned from that article is that Lehman Brothers was founded with slave money, which I found interesting given what happened in recent years).

What I am saying is that there is more to it than the ships who brought slaves to America, or even the initial period of slavery. The US society built much of its prosperity of the blood of black slaves. After that, white people continued to make money by exploiting black communities through other means. A quote from that Atlantic article:

Three months after Clyde Ross moved into his house, the boiler blew out. This would normally be a homeowner’s responsibility, but in fact, Ross was not really a homeowner. His payments were made to the seller, not the bank. And Ross had not signed a normal mortgage. He’d bought “on contract”: a predatory agreement that combined all the responsibilities of homeownership with all the disadvantages of renting—while offering the benefits of neither. Ross had bought his house for $27,500. The seller, not the previous homeowner but a new kind of middleman, had bought it for only $12,000 six months before selling it to Ross. In a contract sale, the seller kept the deed until the contract was paid in full—and, unlike with a normal mortgage, Ross would acquire no equity in the meantime. If he missed a single payment, he would immediately forfeit his $1,000 down payment, all his monthly payments, and the property itself.

and this is just one of the many examples that are cited there. Note that this did not happen in a rural town in Mississippi, but in Chicago.

This kind of thing is still happening these days. It does not necessarily target black people specifically anymore (at least not as much, and the anti discrimination laws have helped with that I believe), but it is a fact that very rich people (corporations, if you prefer, but corporations are made by people) make money from exploiting poor people. And it is a fact that a disproportionate percentage of these poor people are black. And this condition is the result of past history, for which we all, as a collective society, need to learn to take responsibility for.

I am not sure why you are this closed on your position, to the point where you won't even read sources of information that are being shared. Whenever an article is shared when I am engaged in a conversation of this kind I always make a point to read it, no matter if I agree with its contents or not.

The oldest ancestor that I know by name was Theunis Ryerson von Westbroeck. He lived in Utrecht Province, Netherlands and never left. His son Jan Theunissen von Westbroeck arrived in New Amsterdam in 1638 in the employ of the Dutch West India Co. He and his descendants lived in NY or NJ until the 20th Century. Neither NY or NJ ever approved of slavery. Whatever responsibility you feel is yours alone.

The idea as understood by me:
- Policeman does bad
- Police force says bad unfounded
- New Body says bad is founded
(Beau was confusing in saying that the police gets its funding cut despite the claim being unfounded)
- Bad is decided as founded, due to investigative credence of New Body being higher
- Bad policeman flagged
- Police force is cut its funding until bad policeman is booted
(Assumed by me: )
[ - Police force gets to appeal to a judiciary]
[ - Making bodycams 'n **** actually a tool for policemen to use to prove their conduct was appropriate]
He says that anybody who has more than one complaint in 12 months, founded or unfounded, must be terminated or else federal funding is cut. It literally gives anyone who has the time to write a couple of emails the power to federally defund or even disband entire PDs.

You are correct to test the legal, financial and political viability of these proposals. But bear in mind if you do so insistently it becomes apparent that you don't actually care about a solution, because you don't think it's a problem, I assume. You may not have bad experiences with the police, or you may even know how to deescalate encounters with the police, but not everyone experiences the police in the same manner in part due to prejudices, stereotyping and mistrust on both sides of the encounter.
I'll do you one better. I am a former cop. My stack of privileges is sky-high :razz: Yeah, I know first-hand that the job has a tendency to attract people who are by definition unfit for it, because yes the powers cops have make room for power trips if one seeks them. I certainly don't think anyone who has a problem with something cops did or habitually do is automatically oversensitive....

....but :grin:

I continue to be amazed at, specifically in the US, how many people have quite an attitude when dealing with the police, whether it's an arrest or just a parking ticket. It ranges from just being rude through deliberately uncooperative to actively resisting arrest. But it's still so, so much more common than in Czechia. I don't know if it's our historical experience with an actual police state or if we are just genetically docile or something else, but the contrast is massive. And it's especially weird when I see it, quite commonly, from black or brown people, who otherwise claim to be mortally afraid of being randomly killed by the police for no reason. Obviously being rude, belligerent or antagonizing towards the police doesn't justify being choked to death or shot, and I am not talking about legal or moral desert, just about the psychology of it.

The US has one of the highest death by police violence per capita in the world as a developed nation. Moreover, trust in police in low-income, high-density areas is extremely low when the police are supposedly the arm of justice. Communities get scarred (collective trauma is a research area) when someone they know is unjustly executed, and where they feel there is no justice (with regard to the arm of justice!), there can be no peace. Think in your personal life; if there is no reconciliation, you will hold grudges against people. And where your grudge involves the death of a community member or someone you know personally, the degree of the discomfort or uneasiness must spiral.

People in the US are entirely correct to demand the systems in question to produce fewer killings in view that it's an actionable, achievable goal. You would agree that morality precedes legality, otherwise, white people being driven from their farms in South Afrika is moral by virtue of it being legal. The normative (moral) claim exists because we can measure (police killings relative to the rest of the world) is abnormal (the flow of money is a complicated manner, but I think it adds to the abnormality when you consider the US is one of the richest countries per capita in the world as well).

There is something to be said of the US as being an outliner with regard to police violence because firearms are just so much more accessible, hence police officers are more easily endangered in a more grievous manner. But even if you account for that, you can see that officers in the US are poorly trained and held unaccountable when they very obviously and obnoxiously **** up. As always, I am just a layman and I think other people in the thread (Vermillion) are better versed on the topic. I'm not saying that you need to become a misguided activist but consider your moral fibre.
Well, as you said yourself - America has unique level of police violence, among non-totalitarian, developed countries. But it also has unique level of civilian violence. Those two are almost certainly connected.
I think America is just generally fond of violence, or well fond-er than Europe. It's not the gun laws, some Euro countries have very benevolent gun laws and high gun ownership too, yet have much lower rates of gun crime. Maybe it's their lack of experience with industrial warfare an destruction on their own territory. Maybe they're just a younger culture and their hormones are still flowing. I don't know. It's not just literal physical violence, they also have a general air of forcefulness around them and that kind of a cult of action and being busy. Part of it could be that Americans constantly have obscene wealth hanged in front of their faces, whether in the media or in real life and are told that at least upper middle class lifestyle is in their reach, if they dare take it. While we Euros tend to more like, uhm, know our station in life :razz: Yes, these are quite some generalizations and I don't really have a chiseled point here, so I'm just going to power through it and keep typing.

A cop deals with the worst parts of the society. Nobody calls 911 to tell the cops to come look how everything is cool and they're having a bbq with friends and family. If you are a cop in a small upscale suburb, it will probably be more boring than anything else, but if you work one of those low-income, high density neighborhoods you mentioned, you are going to see and hear ****ed up **** for hours a day. Your brain will be constantly spammed by images and testimonies of violence and misery. And it will be different from the people who tell you about it. Because each individually will "only" get stabbed or raped or beaten up, at worst, a couple of times in their lives and then maybe a couple more times they will witness it. But quantitatively, most of their life will be relatively normal, banal experiences. You on the other hand will look at or hear about violence, or OD'ed children or material destruction all the ****ing time and it will be a sizeabe pressure on your brain to perceive the world as an incredibly violent, chaotic and malevolent place. I mean, even more so than it is :razz: People say that well actually "only" a couple dozen cops are killed every year, while hundreds are killed by the police. But I wouldn't say that it necessarily means American cops are just violent for lols. It can be that the very "being shot is always right around the corner" mindset makes you more careful and prepared (at the cost of making you suspicious, jumpy, or cynical or any combination).

Cops also tend to have pretty high rates of alcoholism, suicide and domestic violence. I don't think it's so much it attracts this type of people, it creates them. It does attract, to some extent, legitimate psychopaths, and a psychopath may be a wife-beater, but they are very rarely self-destructive, they don't drink like they hate themselves for years and then kill themselves.

Now, none of that is to say that it's ok to kneel on someone's neck for 10 minutes. But just like things in "low income, high density neighborhoods" don't happen in a vacuum, neither does police behavior and - controversially - cops are people too and suspect to the same weaknesses as anyone else. It is unironically a hard job. And it's incredibly hard if you want to do it right, it requires a lot of mental strength and hygiene and introspection and knowing how to work people - both civilians and your colleagues, because there will be dirty cops or just lazy ones who will be threatened by you doing it the right way. And at the same time it is a relatively low paying job with pretty lax requirements. In a society that has a sort of fascination with violence and residual frontier mentality. There's only so much you can expect from a combination like that. Blaming it all on racism is too easy a resolution.

I am a former cop.
WQztc.png

?

in reply to the jacob/adorno discussion, the whole "but that black on black crime!!!" pearl clutching thing is usually just a deflection based on poorly understood statistics stripped of context.

Back
Top Bottom