1860s - PROBLEMS, suggestions....& Solutions, even from you, if possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

hunter370 said:
Just wondering, What's the music you guys play in the menu screen?
I think its now my 3rd favourite song
How the west was won movie! Perfect huh?
For military, indian and adventures fights!
And there s a better versin during fights, heard it???
gabby

Hi guys.
I have recently download the mod and I think I have a problem.Flags,cities,some uniforms and all the lords are from 1755 Old Frontier mod.My soldiers let has flag...the portuguese flag of 18th century??Also mexicans,mexicans rebels and natives are defeated just starting the game.Is this only happening to me or is a global bug that will be solved?

Not sure if anyone's done this yet, but have you considered replacing the various loading screen hints with period-correct quotes?  I'm looking still for various non-military ones (likely taken from several of the texts I suggested in the History thread), but these 38 quotations should be a fine start.

Loading Screens -

1.  "Ma'am, I got there first with the most men,"
- Nathan Bedford Forrest, on his strategy of mass and manoeuvre.

2.  "The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on."
- Ulysses S Grant, on the Tennessee River Campaign, 1862.

3.  "In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country."
- Robert E Lee, letter to Mary Anne Lee, 27 October 1856.

4.  "My heart bleeds at the death of every one of our gallant men."
- Robert E Lee, after the Battle of Fredericksburg, December, 1862.

5.  "We must forgive our enemies. I can truly say that not a day has passed since the war began that I have not prayed for them."
- Robert E Lee.

6.  "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them — the desire to do right — is precisely the same."
- Robert E Lee, letter to Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard, October 1865.

7.  "I forgive everyone, beg that everyone forgives me as well, and wish that my blood, that is going to be shed now, will benefit the country.  Long live Mexico!  Long live Independence!"
- Last words of Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico  (1832-1867)

8.  "In politics, evils shoudl be remedied, not revenged."
- Napoleon III.

9.  "We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."
- Abraham Lincoln, First Inaugural Address, 4 March 1861.

10.  "All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it."
- Alexis de Tocqueville.

11.  "Americans are so enamoured of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom."
- Alexis de Tocqueville.

12.  "The Indian knew how to live without wants, to suffer without complaint, and to die singing."
- Alexis de Tocqueville.

13.  "There are two things which a democratic people will always find very difficult - to begin a war and to end it."
- Alexis de Tocqueville.

14.  "But these comparisons are idle. I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect an early success."
- William Tecumseh Sherman, Letter to Atlanta, 1864.

15.  "I confess, without shame, that I am sick and tired of fighting — its glory is all moonshine; even success the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies..."
- William Tecumseh Sherman, 1865.

16.  "Three years ago by a little reflection and patience they could have had a hundred years of peace and prosperity, but they preferred war; very well."
- William Tecumseh Sherman, 1864.

17.  "If they want eternal war, well and good; we accept the issue, and will dispossess them and put our friends in their place."

18.  "You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors. You are bound to fail."
- William Tecumseh Sherman, December 1860.

19.  "You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end."

20.  "God gave us Lincoln and Liberty, let us fight for both."
- Ulysses S Grant, prior to the Vicksburg Campaign, February 1863.

21.  "The Southern rebellion was largely the outgrowth of the Mexican war. Nations, like individuals, are punished for their transgressions."
- Ulysses S Grant, "Personal Memoirs of General US Grant"

22.  "The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; when it does come, my advice is to draw the sowrd and throw away the scabbard."
- Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, Speech to Virginia Military Institute cadets, March 1861.

23.  "To move swiftly, strike vigorously and secure all the fruits of victory is the secret of successful war."
- Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.

24.  "Once you get them running, you stay right on top of them, and that way a small force can defeat a large one every time."

25.  "Then, Sir, we give them the bayonet!"
- Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, at Bull Run, 21 July 1861.

26.  "Duty is ours; consequences are God's."
- John Jay (October, 1856)

27.  "This question will be settled."
- John Brown, 1859.

28.  "I am fully persuaded I am worth inconceivably more to han than any other purpose."
- John Brown, Speech to the Court at his Trial, 2 November 1859.

29.  “All wars should be systematic, for every war should have an aim and be conducted in conformity with the principles and rules of the art. War should be undertaken with forces corresponding to the magnitude of the obstacles that are to be anticipated. “
- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims on Warfare."

30.  “The passage from the defensive to the offensive is one of the most delicate operations of war.”

31.  “When you have it in contemplation to give battle, it is a general rule to collect all your strength and to leave none unemployed. One battalion sometimes decides the issue of the day.”

32.  “Nothing is more rash or more opposed to the principles of war than a flank march in presence of an army in position, especially when that army occupies heights at the foot of which you must defile.”

33.  “It should be adopted as a principle never to allow intervals through which the enemy can penetrate between the different corps forming the line of battle, unless you have laid a snare into which it is your object to draw him.”

34.  “Fortresses are useful in offensive as well as defensive war. Undoubtedly they cannot of themselves arrest the progress of an army, but they are excellent means of delaying, impeding, enfeebling and annoying a victorious enemy.”

35.  “Infantry formed in line should be in two ranks only, for the musket cannot otherwise be used with equal effect. It is admitted that the fire of the third rank is very imperfect and even injurious to that of the first two. “
- Napoleon Bonaparte, “Maxims on Warfare.”

36. “It is a function of the cavalry to follow up the victory and prevent the beaten enemy from rallying.“

37. “The first quality of a soldier is constancy in enduring fatigue and hardship. Courage is only the second. Poverty, privation and want are the school of the good soldier.”

38. “Defensive war does not exclude attacking, just as offensive war does not exclude defending, although its aim may be to force the frontier and invade the enemy's country.”
39.  "My people are few.  There was a time when our people covered the land...but that time long since passed away with the greatness of tribes that are now but a mournful memory."
- Chief Seattle, 1855.

40.  "At night when the streets of your cities and villages are silent and you think them deserted, tehy will throng with the returning hosts that once filled them and still love this beautiful land.  THe white man will never be alone."
- Chief Seattle, 1855.

I know that there are quite a few from a relatively small selection of people, but as I said, this is a work in progress, so I'll put more in as I come across them.

Geredis said:
Not sure if anyone's done this yet, but have you considered replacing the various loading screen hints with period-correct quotes?  I'm looking still for various non-military ones (likely taken from several of the texts I suggested in the History thread), but these 38 quotations should be a fine start.

Loading Screens -

1.  "Ma'am, I got there first with the most men,"
- Nathan Bedford Forrest, on his strategy of mass and manoeuvre.

2.  "The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on."
- Ulysses S Grant, on the Tennessee River Campaign, 1862.

3.  "In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country."
- Robert E Lee, letter to Mary Anne Lee, 27 October 1856.

4.  "My heart bleeds at the death of every one of our gallant men."
- Robert E Lee, after the Battle of Fredericksburg, December, 1862.

5.  "We must forgive our enemies. I can truly say that not a day has passed since the war began that I have not prayed for them."
- Robert E Lee.

6.  "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them — the desire to do right — is precisely the same."
- Robert E Lee, letter to Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard, October 1865.

7.  "I forgive everyone, beg that everyone forgives me as well, and wish that my blood, that is going to be shed now, will benefit the country.  Long live Mexico!  Long live Independence!"
- Last words of Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico  (1832-1867)

8.  "In politics, evils shoudl be remedied, not revenged."
- Napoleon III.

9.  "We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."
- Abraham Lincoln, First Inaugural Address, 4 March 1861.

10.  "All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it."
- Alexis de Tocqueville.

11.  "Americans are so enamoured of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom."
- Alexis de Tocqueville.

12.  "The Indian knew how to live without wants, to suffer without complaint, and to die singing."
- Alexis de Tocqueville.

13.  "There are two things which a democratic people will always find very difficult - to begin a war and to end it."
- Alexis de Tocqueville.

14.  "But these comparisons are idle. I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect an early success."
- William Tecumseh Sherman, Letter to Atlanta, 1864.

15.  "I confess, without shame, that I am sick and tired of fighting — its glory is all moonshine; even success the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies..."
- William Tecumseh Sherman, 1865.

16.  "Three years ago by a little reflection and patience they could have had a hundred years of peace and prosperity, but they preferred war; very well."

17.  "If they want eternal war, well and good; we accept the issue, and will dispossess them and put our friends in their place."

18.  "You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors. You are bound to fail."

19.  "You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end."

20.  "God gave us Lincoln and Liberty, let us fight for both."
- Ulysses S Grant, prior to the Vicksburg Campaign, February 1863.

21.  "The Southern rebellion was largely the outgrowth of the Mexican war. Nations, like individuals, are punished for their transgressions."
- Ulysses S Grant, "Personal Memoirs of General US Grant"

22.  "The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; when it does come, my advice is to draw the sowrd and throw away the scabbard."
- Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, Speech to Virginia Military Institute cadets, March 1861.

23.  "To move swiftly, strike vigorously and secure all the fruits of victory is the secret of successful war."

24.  "Once you get them running, you stay right on top of them, and that way a small force can defeat a large one every time."

25.  "Then, Sir, we give them the bayonet!"
- Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, at Bull Run, 21 July 1861.

26.  "Duty is ours; consequences are God's."
- John Jay (October, 1856)

27.  "This question will be settled."
- John Brown, 1859.

28.  "I am fully persuaded I am worth inconceivably more to han than any other purpose."
- John Brown, Speech to the Court at his Trial, 2 November 1859.

29.  “All wars should be systematic, for every war should have an aim and be conducted in conformity with the principles and rules of the art. War should be undertaken with forces corresponding to the magnitude of the obstacles that are to be anticipated. “

30.  “The passage from the defensive to the offensive is one of the most delicate operations of war.”

31.  “When you have it in contemplation to give battle, it is a general rule to collect all your strength and to leave none unemployed. One battalion sometimes decides the issue of the day.”

32.  “Nothing is more rash or more opposed to the principles of war than a flank march in presence of an army in position, especially when that army occupies heights at the foot of which you must defile.”

33.  “It should be adopted as a principle never to allow intervals through which the enemy can penetrate between the different corps forming the line of battle, unless you have laid a snare into which it is your object to draw him.”

34.  “Fortresses are useful in offensive as well as defensive war. Undoubtedly they cannot of themselves arrest the progress of an army, but they are excellent means of delaying, impeding, enfeebling and annoying a victorious enemy.”

35.  “Infantry formed in line should be in two ranks only, for the musket cannot otherwise be used with equal effect. It is admitted that the fire of the third rank is very imperfect and even injurious to that of the first two. “

36. “It is a function of the cavalry to follow up the victory and prevent the beaten enemy from rallying.“

37. “The first quality of a soldier is constancy in enduring fatigue and hardship. Courage is only the second. Poverty, privation and want are the school of the good soldier.”

38. “Defensive war does not exclude attacking, just as offensive war does not exclude defending, although its aim may be to force the frontier and invade the enemy's country.”
39.  "My people are few.  There was a time when our people covered the land...but that time long since passed away with the greatness of tribes that are now but a mournful memory."
- Chief Seattle, 1855.

40.  "At night when the streets of your cities and villages are silent and you think them deserted, tehy will throng with the returning hosts that once filled them and still love this beautiful land.  THe white man will never be alone."
- Chief Seattle, 1855.

I know that there are quite a few from a relatively small selection of people, but as I said, this is a work in progress, so I'll put more in as I come across them.
GREAT IDEA!!!
Thx Gerry!  :wink:
I thought at that, but even more making some PICS with words written to read while you wait that Menus load.... heheheh :roll:
Even more, having SHORT historical descriptions...huh? :shock:
Gabby

Gabby:

Something like this perhaps?

Drew a very general one up for Canada here using Paint to give an example and a rough template.  But in short, there'd be one for each faction with its name, map, and a brief blurb of both historical context as well as a bit at the end to hint somewhat at the nature of the troop trees the faction has access to.

CanadianLoadingScreenMockup.png

Remember, this is not at all indicative (I hope) of the quality of the stuff you'll be getting.  No, instead this is a quick and dirty mockup to get a sense of where I'd be going with it all, make sure you and I are both on the same page of the sort of hting you want.  And somewhere in all that maybe/maybe not a quote will be placed based on the hint pop-up.

Radetzky said:
Looks very good for me!
I think this could be great ingame, so every time players will load 1860s, they'll get more information about one country, during their loading. :smile:
True! That s what I meant!  :mrgreen:
Thx Gerry, and thx to Baskonia as well...I see you guys on the Forum and apreciate your efforts.
Thx very much to my raddy as well...you are doing so well on the Forum with your ideas and troop trees and helping out evbody.
Pls be all patiente and keep in touch.  :cool:
I will be updating still one ROUGH version, 0,8, soon. After that, in some more weeks, we will use a completely new "base" for this Mod, and we will add a lot of your suggestions/issues, etc.
Pls forgive my absence on forums of my Mods, but as raddy well knows, I am extremly busy at the moment, and running some personal problems... :oops:
Love you all!  :wink:
Gabby

Thank you, Gabby.

You are doing a great job. And I'm eager to try out the new mod version 0.8.  :mrgreen:

And above all, I hope to see soon in the mod, some Mexican units !!  :lol: :razz:

Well, basically, find the 'basic' layer, which is basically the folded cloth you see under the banner.  THen you layer the banner itself over it, play around with opacity for both layers until you have the main image layer as well as the faint cloth layer to give that ripple effect and all.

I knwo it's relatively vague and all, but it's just an overview of the process.

Geredis said:
Well, basically, find the 'basic' layer, which is basically the folded cloth you see under the banner.  THen you layer the banner itself over it, play around with opacity for both layers until you have the main image layer as well as the faint cloth layer to give that ripple effect and all.

I know it's relatively vague and all, but it's just an overview of the process.
sorry i thought you meant like when the banners dint end up like you like in the game

sorry for my  bad English

von Afton said:
Geredis said:

sorry i thought you meant like when the banners dint end up like you like in the game

Oooohhh, my God, Afty!  :shock:
Noooo, be careful, please.....somebody might hate your bad english, then....  :twisted:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,201758.msg4861370.html#msg4861370

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

Just kidding, hehehe.
Relax; you are a member of Gabby's Bunch, my friend....or a Gabby Meat Ball, like mate 5argy likes to say....so you are authrized to spikk bed inglisshh!!!

A HUGE HURRAY FOR ALL NOT SPEAKING ENGLISH THAT MAKE A HUGE EFFORT EVERYDAY ON M&B FORUMS!!!!!!!!!​

Gabby :wink:

GABRILDURO said:
von Afton said:
Geredis said:

:shock:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,201758.msg4861370.html#msg4861370

You can find very rude people online...

Well,turning back to the topic,how goes 0.8? Do you already have a date to launch it? I have lot of hopes in this mod,because 1866 for M&B was great,but they didnt port it to warband...So,in Gabby and his great team we trust.

Good evening Gab,I found pictures of the Belgium Foreign Legion,which fought in Mexico :wink:

Grenadier Battalion (one officer,two N.C.O's and one regular):
index.php

Very left,Foot Officer (same dress as Lt.Col Van Der Smissen wore)
The two at the middle and right,N.C.O (middle possible sergeant,can't count the chevrons)
Can't see the rank of that lonely guy at the background

Voltigeurs Battalion (Jaegers)
index.php

Very right,Colonel
Very Left,bugler
middle,regular

2d173e066041f2a32c329d5ee73cd55b.jpg

Left,Infantry
Right,Voltigeur

De%2Bveldtocht%2Bin%2BMexico.jpg

As you can see,a lot of Belgian Volunteers wore the haverlock over their kepi. Because I can't find many information about
the kepi they wore, wouldn't be easier to give everyone who wear the kepi a haverlock? Besides,give some soldiers the white slouch hat or garrison cap.

Flag Used by the Belgian Legion
voluntaires_belgique.png

Dont know if it is a bug or a problem of my computer,but when I tried to play the singleplayer mode,in the part you create your character I get a RGL error.The same in Quick Battle.It appears me ''Impossible to load winchester.dds or imposible to load whiteboot.dds'' and million of errors in the textures.Whats happening?

Back
Top Bottom