"+1 Shield" Possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Deus Ex said:
Ahh, Ealdormann Hussey

You are right, AND you are wrong.

Fisheye - who has tremendous skills with modding and python scripts - got so fed up he deleted his account.  Now all of that incredibly valuable experience is gone.

As you know, Winter is the intensely creative author of StoryMod - should he get fed up and decide to never come here again, there would be MANY, MANY people who would be dissapointed. 

There are many more, Yoshi, Janus, Thorgrim, Effidian, Ancientwanker, Gandalf the grey  - just to name a small subset.

So yes, it is not such a big deal - in a single instance, but over time - it starts to wear you down.

Fisheye's gone? no, really? Oh and I think GandlaftheGreys already left us, I haven't seen him post in ages, and worst of all he hasn't updated Hundred years war. Perhaps the admins ought to be more viscous, personally I think all people asking for mod ideas of theirs to be made by other people should be banned immediately :smile:

Deus Ex said:
Ealdormann Hussey said:
Winter said:
...You know, why do I even bother? There is no 'normal 8', you utter nob. Skills go up to 10 -- THEY ALWAYS HAVE.

Wordlessly,
Winter
Calm down Winter, its not that big a deal.

Ahh, Ealdormann Hussey

While a small thing such as what bothered winter is indeed not earth shattering, the problem is - the folks around this forum with the most experience, and hence the most valuable information to share - often times get so fed up with the sheer IDIOCY of many posters - they give up and they stop coming here - hence we lose their valuable insight and experience.

Fisheye - who has tremendous skills with modding and python scripts - got so fed up he deleted his account.  Now all of that incredibly valuable experience is gone.

As you know, Winter is the intensely creative author of StoryMod - should he get fed up and decide to never come here again, there would be MANY, MANY people who would be dissapointed. 

There are many more, Yoshi, Janus, Thorgrim, Effidian, Ancientwanker, Gandalf the grey  - just to name a small subset.

So yes, it is not such a big deal - in a single instance, but over time - it starts to wear you down.

DE

So those people who can mod well can be assholes without fear of reproach from the mods?  **** that.  If they think they can have this place as their personal battlefield because they're talented, in my book they can **** off.  Make your mods and put them on Janus' site, sure, but leave alone the rest of us trying to learn.
Now that said, I know Winter's a good guy, as are most of the veteran modders here, and most are willing to help newbies (I know from experience), I just hate that mentality.  I've expressed my distaste for it before.
*Prepares to butt heads with the mods once again*

Anyhoo, as to the actual topic:  Do chests have special inventories?  Because I created a new chest troop (for an economy mod I'm considering) and gave it ten inventory management.  However, when I went to the chest itself on the map (in Radoghir castle), and compared it to my new character with no inventory management, it appeared to have enough spaces for level 13 inventory management.  I counted it multiple times, but I may have still made a mistake.  Any idea what it could be? :???:

did u count the 16 slots u have before adding inverntory managment?

16?  I thought you started with only twelve (four rows of three)?  But even if troops start with 16, it still has enough slots for level 11 inventory management.  I'm still thinking it's because I'm using a chest and not a normal troop (though technically, it might be :???:).
Anyone with the knowhow care to edit a character to have level 10 inventory, and then count how many rows the inventory is?  (It sounds more tedious than it will actually be. :razz:)

Deus Ex said:
Ahh, Ealdormann Hussey

While a small thing such as what bothered winter is indeed not earth shattering, the problem is - the folks around this forum with the most experience, and hence the most valuable information to share - often times get so fed up with the sheer IDIOCY of many posters - they give up and they stop coming here - hence we lose their valuable insight and experience.

DE

Or the forum 'veterans' just need to learn to chill out a bit...

Stonewall382 said:
Deus Ex said:
Ealdormann Hussey said:
Winter said:
...You know, why do I even bother? There is no 'normal 8', you utter nob. Skills go up to 10 -- THEY ALWAYS HAVE.

Wordlessly,
Winter
Calm down Winter, its not that big a deal.

Ahh, Ealdormann Hussey

DE

So those people who can mod well can be assholes without fear of reproach from the mods?  **** that.  If they think they can have this place as their personal battlefield because they're talented, in my book they can **** off.  Make your mods and put them on Janus' site, sure, but leave alone the rest of us trying to learn.
Now that said, I know Winter's a good guy, as are most of the veteran modders here, and most are willing to help newbies (I know from experience), I just hate that mentality.  I've expressed my distaste for it before.

[...]

Stonewall382 - please explain to me exactly what you are upset about?  What was it from MY post (which you quoted) that you feel was inappropriate or wrong?

"So those people who can mod well can be assholes without fear of reproach from the mods?  **** that. "

So you are saying Winter was ******* for his comment?

"Make your mods and put them on Janus' site, sure, but leave alone the rest of us trying to learn."

I don't really understand your point here. 

"Now that said, I know Winter's a good guy, as are most of the veteran modders here, and most are willing to help newbies (I know from experience), I just hate that mentality.  I've expressed my distaste for it before."

Please elaborate.  What mentality is it that you dislike? 

I am trying to understand what you find to be so bad.

"*Prepares to butt heads with the mods once again*"

Hmm, sounds a bit like you are coming in here looking for a fight.  I would have to say, that might not be the best approach...

Please help me understand your concerns.  That way, maybe I can help. 

Otherwise, if you are simply looking to stir things up and start a fight - there will not be anything constructive that comes out of this.

DE

*Puts one hand forward, palm up*

DE, we've had some contact in the past.  I've been a member for almost a year now.  I'm not some n00b who's here to start a fight.  Let me take your questions one by one, so that I can (hopefully) explain myself more clearly and constructively.

Deus Ex said:
Stonewall382 - please explain to me exactly what you are upset about?  What was it from MY post (which you quoted) that you feel was inappropriate or wrong?

You said that
Deus Ex said:
...[experienced modders] often times get so fed up with the sheer IDIOCY of many posters - they give up and they stop coming here - hence we lose their valuable insight and experience.
, which to me, sounds like you want the rest of us to adapt to the wants of the experienced, veteran modmakers.  To me, that doesn't sound fair.

Deus Ex said:
Is he an *******?  No.  Was his comment unnecessarily rude?  Yes.

Stonewall382 said:
Make your mods and put them on Janus' site, sure, but leave alone the rest of us trying to learn.
I mean that those experienced modders who don't like the patrons here can still make mods, and we can still give them feedback, but they don't have to come here and be rude to the rest of us.

Deus Ex said:
Stonewall382 said:
I'm referring to the idea, as I interpret it, that people who make mods and make them well are given free reign to belittle, criticize, and deter others, because of their abilities.  I just don't agree with the idea that the community should be forced to adapt to the personalities of a few patrons; rather, the veteran modders should have to either adapt to the community and be courteous and considerate, or be forced to leave if they don't on their own.
If this is really the way the mod team wants to operate, and armagan is okay with it, I guess I can't really change anything.  At the very least though, I can express my disagreement on the matter.

Deus Ex said:
Stonewall382 said:

Hmm, sounds a bit like you are coming in here looking for a fight.  I would have to say, that might not be the best approach...
I was referring to the fact that the last time I brought this up, I got into an argument with Pav via PMs.  We sorted it out, but I just figure I'll be disagreeing with the mods here, and that's potentially dangerous territory.

At any rate, I appreciate you reading my concerns and offering to help, Deus. :smile:

Stonewall382 said:
I'm referring to the idea, as I interpret it, that people who make mods and make them well are given free reign to belittle, criticize, and deter others, because of their abilities.  I just don't agree with the idea that the community should be forced to adapt to the personalities of a few patrons; rather, the veteran modders should have to either adapt to the community and be courteous and considerate, or be forced to leave if they don't on their own.

Stonewall, I've got nothing against you, but I seriously think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. In my opinion (and the opinion of most of the other modders I know) the forums have been becoming progressively more idiotic with the constant influx of annoying newbies who refuse to use proper English, propagate misinformation, and generally bring the quality of discourse further and further down from what it once was.

When I first came here, there was nary an 'OMGLOLASL' poster to be found. Now they're slowly starting to become the majority. If you're telling me I should adapt to that, then sorry, I will not. I'd sooner exit stage left and leave the OMGLOLASL people to try and put together a mod. We all know how that will turn out. And if that becomes the official face of Taleworlds being put forward on these forums, then I'll just say a quiet prayer for M&B's sales while doing something for a community that hasn't been corrupted that way.

Personally, I think your stance on this matter is what causes so many of the good things on the internet to sour and break apart from the inside. If you allow stupid, pointless talk on your forums, then you will get stupid, pointless talk -- more and more of it until it's all that's left. I like to call this 'No Quality Control'. And in a free market where people can go somewhere else to get what they want, things without quality control -- even communities -- either go out of business or quickly slide into irrelevance.

Motorically,
Winter

Winter said:
Stonewall382 said:

Stonewall, I've got nothing against you, but I seriously think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. In my opinion (and the opinion of most of the other modders I know) the forums have been becoming progressively more idiotic with the constant influx of annoying newbies who refuse to use proper English, propagate misinformation, and generally bring the quality of discourse further and further down from what it once was.

When I first came here, there was nary an 'OMGLOLASL' poster to be found.

Too much advertising on Elderscrolls.com (ie "play M&B while waiting for Oblivion") I think... Nothing against TES people but there is definitely a 'demographic' and I've seen the threads where taleworlds gets hyped over there.

Now they're slowly starting to become the majority. If you're telling me I should adapt to that, then sorry, I will not. I'd sooner exit stage left and leave the OMGLOLASL people to try and put together a mod. We all know how that will turn out. And if that becomes the official face of Taleworlds being put forward on these forums, then I'll just say a quiet prayer for M&B's sales while doing something for a community that hasn't been corrupted that way.

I definitely think the mods need to be a bit stricter. Crack down on people asking stupid questions by automatically shutting the threads and deleting spam. I don't agree that ordinary forum people need to be rude... a forum full of assholes is as bad as a stupid/spammy forum. It's a job for the mods which we should leave them to do. It's not difficult: if a post annoys you, either tell a mod or ignore it.

Stonewall382 said:

DE, we've had some contact in the past.  I've been a member for almost a year now.  I'm not some n00b who's here to start a fight.  Let me take your questions one by one, so that I can (hopefully) explain myself more clearly and constructively.
I know you are not a noob :grin: - and thank you for the cordial reply! 
So much more can be accomplished through constructive discussion.

[quote author=Stonewall382]
Deus Ex said:
You said that
Deus Ex said:
...[experienced modders] often times get so fed up with the sheer IDIOCY of many posters - they give up and they stop coming here - hence we lose their valuable insight and experience.
, which to me, sounds like you want the rest of us to adapt to the wants of the experienced, veteran modmakers.  To me, that doesn't sound fair.[/quote]
Ahhh, well - I did not actually say that.  I was making an observation.  If all of the experienced folks (modders and non-modders alike) who have been here for a long time, and have lots to contriubute, got fed up and left, I think it would be a REAL SHAME.  I would hate to see that happen.  The primary reason for the existance of this forum is for us to collect and share information about this game.  Personally I would like to see EVERYONE be a bit kinder.  But sometimes people get a bit fed up.  (and given my own frustration level regarding the signal-to-noise ratio here, it is hard for me to get very upset about that)
Stonewall382 said:
Deus Ex said:
Perhaps.  But perhaps you should also notice that I was very even-handed with EH - I tried to explain that - yes, while the minor issue that got Winter's goat is indeed not such a big deal - the problem is LOTS and LOTS of minor things, add up.  Could winter have let it go? Should winter have let it go? - probably.  On the other hand, I would be willing to bet (actually I know for a fact) that he constantly lets lots of minor **** like that go.  So it is real hard for me to get real upset at him. :grin:

Stonewall382 said:
I mean that those experienced modders who don't like the patrons here can still make mods, and we can still give them feedback, but they don't have to come here and be rude to the rest of us.
That is entirely valid.  However, I doubt that they don't like all the patrons - just a subset who don't take the time to learn how to be part of this community.  While this is certainly an option, again, I would hate to see that happen - since many of them have tremendous knowledge and experience with the game - and for the most part are glad to share that knowledge and help others.

Stonewall382 said:
Deus Ex said:
Stonewall382 said:
If this is really the way the mod team wants to operate, and armagan is okay with it, I guess I can't really change anything.  At the very least though, I can express my disagreement on the matter.
Now I have to say, that is most definitely YOUR interpretation.  As far as I am concerned, NOBODY on these forums (well perhaps Armagan) has the right or the free reign to belittle, criticize or deter others - regardless of their modding abilities or experience.  THAT is how I feel about it.  In fact, IMHO a couple of the worst offenders in this regard do not even MOD, but have simply been around a long time.  IMHO EVERYONE should be less rude, and a lot more patient than most are.  That said, I have only been doing this job for a short while, and I cannot change everything over night :wink:.  I agree, some of the 'vetran' members do tend to get away with being quite rude, quite often.

Stonewall382 said:
Deus Ex said:
Stonewall382 said:

I was referring to the fact that the last time I brought this up, I got into an argument with Pav via PMs.  We sorted it out, but I just figure I'll be disagreeing with the mods here, and that's potentially dangerous territory.

At any rate, I appreciate you reading my concerns and offering to help, Deus. :smile:
Well, I am not Pav, nor am I Nair, LL, or Narc.  I am just me.  I cannot begin to speak for them.  All I can do is try to be as consistent as I can - by myself.  I agree - sometimes some of the vetran folks here get a bit more slack than others do.  ~shrug~ we are only human.

What I will say - I see way too much rudness around here.  Period.

I try very hard to be polite and informative to folks who make mistakes.  This takes quite a bit of my time to do - rather than just locking/deleting/banning without much comment.  I try to help people here learn how to be constructive, contributing, members of this community. But to be honest, I also get tired of some of the idiocy.  I'm a very reasonable man.  Talk to me and there is a good chance we can work things out.  But my patience does have it's limits.

That said, we are working on some things that might help make things better around here.  But the number one thing that would improve these forums, in my mind, is for the people around here to all just cut each other some slack - be polite, be kind, provide information if you can/want to.  If you cannot do any of those things, then just be quiet.

The fact of the matter is, some of the other moderators (ok, all of them :grin: ) think I am TOO easy going and need to be a bit more vicious....  but I still believe - in general - most people are not trying to be difficult. 

We are all here because we love this game - in order to get along and be a constructive community - we need to be patient and polite.  Unfortunately not everyone gets that - and even those that do, sometimes have trouble with it.  IMHO unless it becomes excessive, it's not really a problem.

If anyone is experiencing continued rudness/criticism etc from another forum member, they need to let me or one of the other mods  know - and let us take care of it.  Don't respond, let it die and let us deal with the perp.  No vigilante justice :grin:

I hope this makes some sense, and you can also perhaps see some of the other perspectives around these issues. 

Thanks

DE

Winter said:
[...]When I first came here, there was nary an 'OMGLOLASL' poster to be found. Now they're slowly starting to become the majority. If you're telling me I should adapt to that, then sorry, I will not. I'd sooner exit stage left and leave the OMGLOLASL people to try and put together a mod. We all know how that will turn out. And if that becomes the official face of Taleworlds being put forward on these forums, then I'll just say a quiet prayer for M&B's sales while doing something for a community that hasn't been corrupted that way.

Winter, if I have any say in the matter, it will never get that bad.  I am working hard to keep that from happening.

DE

dagorkan said:
[...]I definitely think the mods need to be a bit stricter. Crack down on people asking stupid questions by automatically shutting the threads and deleting spam. I don't agree that ordinary forum people need to be rude... a forum full of assholes is as bad as a stupid/spammy forum. It's a job for the mods which we should leave them to do. It's not difficult: if a post annoys you, either tell a mod or ignore it.
(emphasis added)

dagorkan speaks wisdom!

But it's funny, some people complain that I have been locking TOO many threads  ~shrug~

DE

i'm not, its a good thing. As I said, we need instant banning for any little **** that thinks people will make mods for him/her.

Deus Ex said:
Stonewall382 said:

I know you are not a noob :grin: - and thank you for the cordial reply! 
So much more can be accomplished through constructive discussion.

[quote author=Stonewall382]
Deus Ex said:
You said that
Deus Ex said:
, which to me, sounds like you want the rest of us to adapt to the wants of the experienced, veteran modmakers.  To me, that doesn't sound fair.
Ahhh, well - I did not actually say that.  I was making an observation.  If all of the experienced folks (modders and non-modders alike) who have been here for a long time, and have lots to contriubute, got fed up and left, I think it would be a REAL SHAME.  I would hate to see that happen.  The primary reason for the existance of this forum is for us to collect and share information about this game.  Personally I would like to see EVERYONE be a bit kinder.  But sometimes people get a bit fed up.  (and given my own frustration level regarding the signal-to-noise ratio here, it is hard for me to get very upset about that)
Stonewall382 said:
Deus Ex said:
Perhaps.  But perhaps you should also notice that I was very even-handed with EH - I tried to explain that - yes, while the minor issue that got Winter's goat is indeed not such a big deal - the problem is LOTS and LOTS of minor things, add up.  Could winter have let it go? Should winter have let it go? - probably.  On the other hand, I would be willing to bet (actually I know for a fact) that he constantly lets lots of minor **** like that go.  So it is real hard for me to get real upset at him. :grin:

Stonewall382 said:
That is entirely valid.  However, I doubt that they don't like all the patrons - just a subset who don't take the time to learn how to be part of this community.  While this is certainly an option, again, I would hate to see that happen - since many of them have tremendous knowledge and experience with the game - and for the most part are glad to share that knowledge and help others.

Stonewall382 said:
Deus Ex said:
Stonewall382 said:
Now I have to say, that is most definitely YOUR interpretation.  As far as I am concerned, NOBODY on these forums (well perhaps Armagan) has the right or the free reign to belittle, criticize or deter others - regardless of their modding abilities or experience.  THAT is how I feel about it.  In fact, IMHO a couple of the worst offenders in this regard do not even MOD, but have simply been around a long time.  IMHO EVERYONE should be less rude, and a lot more patient than most are.  That said, I have only been doing this job for a short while, and I cannot change everything over night :wink:.  I agree, some of the 'vetran' members do tend to get away with being quite rude, quite often.

Stonewall382 said:
Deus Ex said:
Stonewall382 said:

Well, I am not Pav, nor am I Nair, LL, or Narc.  I am just me.  I cannot begin to speak for them.  All I can do is try to be as consistent as I can - by myself.  I agree - sometimes some of the vetran folks here get a bit more slack than others do.  ~shrug~ we are only human.

What I will say - I see way too much rudness around here.  Period.

I try very hard to be polite and informative to folks who make mistakes.  This takes quite a bit of my time to do - rather than just locking/deleting/banning without much comment.  I try to help people here learn how to be constructive, contributing, members of this community. But to be honest, I also get tired of some of the idiocy.  I'm a very reasonable man.  Talk to me and there is a good chance we can work things out.  But my patience does have it's limits.

That said, we are working on some things that might help make things better around here.  But the number one thing that would improve these forums, in my mind, is for the people around here to all just cut each other some slack - be polite, be kind, provide information if you can/want to.  If you cannot do any of those things, then just be quiet.

The fact of the matter is, some of the other moderators (ok, all of them :grin: ) think I am TOO easy going and need to be a bit more vicious....  but I still believe - in general - most people are not trying to be difficult. 

We are all here because we love this game - in order to get along and be a constructive community - we need to be patient and polite.  Unfortunately not everyone gets that - and even those that do, sometimes have trouble with it.  IMHO unless it becomes excessive, it's not really a problem.

If anyone is experiencing continued rudness/criticism etc from another forum member, they need to let me or one of the other mods  know - and let us take care of it.  Don't respond, let it die and let us deal with the perp.  No vigilante justice :grin:

I hope this makes some sense, and you can also perhaps see some of the other perspectives around these issues. 

Thanks

DE

[/quote]

*Scans a third time*
Uh, heh, I've got no beef with really anything you said.
*Squints*
Yeah, lol, sounds like a plan.  Glad I got to hear your side of the story.:wink:

@  Hussey--What about suggestions for mods?  Should those be banned?  When I've "Modder's Block," I sometimes look through the suggestions or mod forums for ideas for a mod.  Should those not be allowed?

Winter said:
Stonewall382 said:

When I first came here, there was nary an 'OMGLOLASL' poster to be found. Now they're slowly starting to become the majority. If you're telling me I should adapt to that, then sorry, I will not. I'd sooner exit stage left and leave the OMGLOLASL people to try and put together a mod. We all know how that will turn out. And if that becomes the official face of Taleworlds being put forward on these forums, then I'll just say a quiet prayer for M&B's sales while doing something for a community that hasn't been corrupted that way.

Personally, I think your stance on this matter is what causes so many of the good things on the internet to sour and break apart from the inside. If you allow stupid, pointless talk on your forums, then you will get stupid, pointless talk -- more and more of it until it's all that's left. I like to call this 'No Quality Control'. And in a free market where people can go somewhere else to get what they want, things without quality control -- even communities -- either go out of business or quickly slide into irrelevance.

Motorically,
Winter

*Raises one hand in peace*
Ahem, I made ONE mistake. And it really wasn't a mistake. I did not know that the "normal" skill stop has been 10, last I looked it was 8. Second, I do not talk idiocy, 1337, or any other butchery of English. Hell, I try and use proper grammar.

Also, I do not TRY and propograte misinformation. I thought that the information I was "propograting" was correct. And, another point: I don't consider myself a "nob" for asking a question that I thought was valid, messing up a detail, and then fixing my mistake. Look, modders don't need to put up with idiocy with rudeness. I know, I used to be a modder on the ES forums and had to deal with the influx of noobs due to Oblivion's announcement.

-Dvd

I like that this thread is no longer about adding bonus statistics through eqippable items and is now about whether or not people should be nice to each other, patient with each other, or be allowed to post at all if they submit nothing but inane chatter.

So, I'll have my say.  There are times when two people disagree on something and will try to rationally and cordially explain there opinion.  Sometimes that diffuses the situation (very rarely), but most often it escalates.  People on the forums generally refuse to back down or see another persons point of view.  This leads to people bullying and the build up of contempt, often it even leads to individuals bearing a grudge against another and seeking to pick fights, that is the point where arguing becomes unhealthy.  Another might believe that actual vituperation should count as "having gone to far".  I for one don't believe that, I believe that most of the insults thrown out there should be taken for what they are, an irrational lashing out against somebody they'll never meet in real life and so have less inhibitors to do so.  It only makes the abuser look like an ass in the eyes of others. 

Also, it is the nature of the forums that people are here to help each other in one way or another.  This can easily include indicating ones displeasure at any glaring mistakes made by "newbies".  Once the person understands that they have done poorly, hopefully they'll learn, if they do it again, they are continually reprimanded until they do learn.  It shouln't be necessary for a moderator to handle every first time poster that makes a blunder.  I see nothing wrong with the current system.  The only problem I have, in fact, is the over abundance of people who post of the "Finish the Sentence" thread in what is clearly not English, and is clearly inane or childish.  And I let them know that and generally they change their habits.

Just my million cents on the matter.

-Grocat the Barbaric Ice Cream Sampler

hey... to put a stick in anyones eye...

i inadvertantly modded a bonus to str/agl +1 when successsfull through combat in the arena... and had my agl over 20 without crashing... some other players mentioned that it happened to them also  in my thread... but they were 'one ups' not a big jump thing...

when i tried to mod it in through the start game character menu, it was rejected and would't complie... so i dunno.

i do know that, in game, under those circumstances, you can increase past 10 at least in agl. maw

Back
Top Bottom