1.7 Battle Formations Removed Useful Functionality & Freedom: Pls Fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Prior to 1.7's battle formation system change, you were able to assign individual tiers of units (or individual companions) to specific groups on the party menu. For me, this was particularly useful for training. I would put low tiers of one or another type (archers, cavalry, infantry, etc) in one group, and high ranking tiers of the same type in another group. Then I would chase down bandits, set the high tier units to hold fire and stay put, and send the low tier units to fight, ensuring they would be get all the available experience from a battle instead of all the kills immediately being taken by the higher tiers. I would also keep all my companions in their own group and train them in much the same way, and have them follow me during battles while the rank and file did their thing. This functionality was part of the game from the get-go.

With the new system, this is no longer possible. Units are assigned groups based on their equipment. Khan's Guards are in the same group as Nobles' Sons as well as every other horse archer, and training is a roll of the dice that ultimately takes much longer. The only way to get around this is to station high ranking units in a garrison (presuming you have the option) while you train a party consisting exclusively of newbies. It's a net loss of player control punctuated by unnecessary tedium.

I know there are lots of things that need addressing pre and post launch, but please, for the love of butter, hear my plea. I don't hate the new system - I think the pre-battle formation management is pretty cool, actually - but I can't think of a reason why this step backward is necessary.

Last edited:
Prior to 1.7's battle formation system change, you were able to assign individual tiers of units (or individual companions) to specific groups on the party menu. For me, this was particularly useful for training. I would put low tiers of one or another type (archers, cavalry, infantry, etc) in one group, and high ranking tiers of the same type in another group. Then I would chase down bandits, set the high tier units to hold fire and stay put, and send the low tier units to fight, ensuring they would be get all the available experience from a battle instead of all the kills immediately being taken by the higher tiers. I would also keep all my companions in their own group and train them in much the same way, and have them follow me during battles while the rank and file did their thing. This functionality was part of the game from the get-go.

With the new system, this is no longer possible. Units are assigned groups based on their equipment. Khan's Guards are in the same group as Nobles' Sons as well as every other horse archer, and training is a roll of the dice that ultimately takes much longer. The only way to get around this is to station high ranking units in a garrison (presuming you have the option) while you train a party consisting exclusively of newbies. It's a net loss of player control punctuated by unnecessary tedium.

I know there are lots of things that need addressing pre and post 1.0, but please, for the love of butter, hear my plea. I don't hate the new system - I think the pre-battle formation management is pretty cool, actually - but I can't think of a reason why this step backward is necessary.
Yes this is a real step backwards IMO

Makes the "Train Troops" quest in particular especially annoying - cause good luck keeping them alive.

Could make do with current system with just a few more filters for say like low/high Tier preference. Pre-deployment is nice, but it really wasn't worth losing ability to create custom formations ahead of time.

I agree!!!
Dear developers, please bring the old system back. We need to define specific units to specific numbers!
Thanks a lot.

Just responding to agree. It seems like both systems are compatible, with minimally convoluted changes - just toggle between preset groups and then if people use settings that conflict (by moving a preset group into a different category) then, well, untoggle the preset groups but have an option to reset.

So if I have Falxmen and Wildlings as two separate groups in my party, on the pre-battle screen I might collapse them or use a throwing infantry only group that mixes them, and then I'd be giving up my preset groups but that's totally fine - I have two sets of options this way, instead of only one. And I can still easily use the simplest option if I want.

I like the pre-battle screen for really big armies and big fights generally where you need to play more loosely and adjust on the fly to the situation and coordinate with whatever silly thing friendly AI might be doing, but for many early game battles being able to micro specific units more precisely makes a big difference. Plus, of course I could see some players with more tidy armies preferring that precision even for big battles later in the game too(at a certain point my armies get hodge podge as hell and I just vaguely gesture masses of units at things to kill lol).

It won't be implemented becuse it would be too clunky to control with a console controller and they're not at a stage/nor will they be at a stage anytime soon to reimplement it.

That's why they brought in slow mode when moving troops around the battlefield. It was for the less versatile (in comparison to a keyboard and mouse) Xbox and PS controllers.

You will have to wait for the mod to be updated if it had not been already.

Back
Top Bottom