Search results for query: *

• Users: Tiera
  • Order by date
  1. Any way to make javelins not to stick?

So I just got this quick question: Does anyone know a way to mod the game so that javelins/throwing spears wouldn't stick on the character after the impact? It really bugs me that my character looks like a pin cushion in most battles (being too lazy in my full steel armor to dodge those...
  2. Banner glitch and some noob questions

clock4orange said:

Thanks for the reply! I need to see if this works.

However, I'm now suffering from another bug. In enlisted my character to a noble's army, but something weird happened during a siege attack. I "retreated" from the battle because all the other troops were killed so I could fight with a fresh wave of troops. Apparently the battle was lost and the lord my character served disappeared for some time so I couldn't return to his army (for some reason my character was not taken captive but was kinda thrown out of the besieged castle on the campaign map). Then I did something stupid: I pledged my character to serve a king while technically still in the army. I thought I could just ask to leave the army once the lord reappeared but I didn't have the dialogue option anymore. What was even worse was that my character couldn't join tournaments anymore.

I know I could "fix" this by becoming free of bond with the king. I tried it and I could then choose the dialogue option to resign from the army. But could there be some other way to solve this? Maybe reset the quest that marks my character as part of the army?
  3. Banner glitch and some noob questions

Hi! I think I'm suffering from some kind of a glitch with my character's banner. My character (who started as a noble) served in a lord's army so he wore his colors on the battlefield. After leaving the army his shield still had the other noble's colors and when I re-equipped it, it lost the...
  4. List of Characters in the Game

Why not just check the in-game character list? They are listed by their title, I think, so you can for example search Norse lords easily. Or then search the faction information - all the lords of the faction are listed in the info.
  5. How to get a great army?

Hi! I'm really just a beginner with this game myself, but I want to share what I have learnt this far.

erennuman_mb said:
    Don't lose your soldiers! :mrgreen:

I think this is much more important in VC than in regular Warband, especially since training troops takes more time. Luckily the shield wall formation (with stand closer x 2) is so effective and the AI doesn't know how to use it!

Great army isn't necessarily great in numbers. The key is to make your army effective. I prefer to have up to 100 elite troops, mostly mercenaries (Svear Warriors <3). With an army of 100 veterans you can easily beat lords with 200-300 men, and smaller armies are much faster. Learn to use formations and different troops effectively (although I'm quite lazy myself so I just use infantry).

BUT! This is expensive. To have a great army one also needs to have a great treasury. It took me some time to understand this but now I prefer to have 200k of silver before having more than 55 men (the size that fits in one Skeid ship). Keeping hundreds of elite warriors is, however, just too expensive and not worth it.

So make money. One of the best ways in my opinion is to attack enemy caravans, since this doesn't piss off any lords. Buying farmsteads in towns is also important. They will take a lot of time until you get back your investment, but they'll provide a nice base revenue. Make your own towns and fiefs prosperous and protect them from being looted. Take your time - this a slow pace game.

And when you finally have hundreds of soldiers, don't run around with them, unless you need them. Keep them protected in your towns and castles so that you can pick them up on your way to conquer that enemy town. Or ideally, let your fellow lords bring the meat wall with them!
  6. B Dark Ages Viking Conquest - Reworked Environment [RELEASED v1.0]

I hope this is not a silly question: Does this mod cause any performance loss (are the textures the same size as the original ones)? I love the screenshots and very much would like to download.
  7. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

Jeyko said:
    Thank you for your quick answer. I took the foreigner cutlure btw.

I got another question: The father of a maiden i was looking for is pitiless and everytime i ask for his daughter he says no, because iam not part of his faction. The relation is 43 atm, does it help if i improve it more, or do i have no chance of convincing him beside making him join my faction?

I also have a question related to this. I have courted Ragnahild of Danmark and have about 60 relation with her. However, her brother is angry because I had been meeting her without his permission, so he won't give me his blessing, even if I pump my relation with him to 100. My character is a vassal on Danmark and his renown is about 600, right to rule 10. Is it possible he changes his mind if I get more powerful? It's probably vanilla WB mechanics, but I can't recall I've had this problem in other modules.
  8. How to be a successful viking conqueror? Please help!

kalarhan said:
    Tiera said:
    Does anyone know how to tweak the amount of money you can get from raiding a monastery in reforged edition? It seems the tweaks posted by Kalarhan don't work in 2.005. A slightly bigger loot would make looting monasteries a lot more tempting.

1) Tweaks you should ask on the.. Tweaks thread!  :mrgreen:

2) It works (it uses regex...)

1) I know but it's not such a major thing and I thought it relates to my topic so perhaps someone reading this can also answer this question.

2) I feel myself really stupid now but I don't understand how. The text in my menus.txt is totally different than in the one on the tweaks thread. Or do I need to add it? I'm really sorry I'm being such an idiot, but I don't understand regex. I know it's probably not that hard but after long days at the university all my brain power is exhausted :grin:

kwbudirt said:
    But, we'd just rather post a question. It's easier than searching, reading, and figuring things out. I mean, really.  :razz:

Really, especially since people on this forum seem so helpful. You can always ask, right? :smile:
  9. How to be a successful viking conqueror? Please help!

Does anyone know how to tweak the amount of money you can get from raiding a monastery in reforged edition? It seems the tweaks posted by Kalarhan don't work in 2.005. A slightly bigger loot would make looting monasteries a lot more tempting.
  10. Mercenary pay 2.005

Jellyfish_sammich said:
    Tiera said:
    I think getting started as a warrior is a bit too difficult in this game, especially if you choose to serve any of the Norse realms (because they seem so peace loving they hardly wage any war). For a role player like myself it feels wrong (and unrealistic) that a fierce viking raider needs to be a half time merchant and half time real estate investor just so that he can do a little fighting and pillaging in his spare time.

That is why I tweaked monasteries to award 3000-5000 gold whenever I raid them. Balance is everything.

How does this work in reforged edition? I've searched the tweak thread but all the lines and numbers in my menus.txt are different.
  11. Mercenary pay 2.005

I think getting started as a warrior is a bit too difficult in this game, especially if you choose to serve any of the Norse realms (because they seem so peace loving they hardly wage any war). For a role player like myself it feels wrong (and unrealistic) that a fierce viking raider needs to be a half time merchant and half time real estate investor just so that he can do a little fighting and pillaging in his spare time.
  12. How to be a successful viking conqueror? Please help!

Kjertesvein said:
    kaiser said:
    You can make them pay a toll first, usually 800-1000 gold, then attack them again to plunder  :twisted:
    Strange, I get 4000-5000 gold per toll. It's usually way more profitable than attacking them.  ^^

I wonder if the toll is leveled somehow, because i've never got anything more than 600 from a 60+ member caravan.
  13. Tweaks for Viking Conquest (one for 2.028, others for 2.021, 2.012, 2.010 etc)

kraggrim said:
    Tiera said:
    Tweak request: Is there a way to remove relation drop with a lord when you refuse their task? I'm especially thinking of the request to pillage a monastery. I just hate that quest!

Probably change this this bit on conversation.txt to 0:
    dlga_lord_mission_rejected:close_window 4095 2076  0 Is_that_so?_Well,_I_suppose_you're_just_not_up_to_the_task._I_shall_have_to_look_for_somebody_with_more_mettle.  6  7 2133 2 144115188075855916 1 1 3 936748722493063523 144115188075855902 -5 4 0 546 3 144115188075856069 25 0 506 3 144115188075856069 25 1 3 0 500 3 144115188075855902 20 1 NO_VOICEOVER

This is the generic refusal dialog, so some other quest refusals might not be affected.

Thank you, it worked!
  14. Tweaks for Viking Conquest (one for 2.028, others for 2.021, 2.012, 2.010 etc)

Tweak request: Is there a way to remove relation drop with a lord when you refuse their task? I'm especially thinking of the request to pillage a monastery. I just hate that quest!
  15. How to be a successful viking conqueror? Please help!

ThorsHammer said:
    Remember you can be a merc, pick a factions that seems to always being going to war (generally the ones in Britain) then when you raid and pillage you wont get a red wall of hate(text) If your thinking long term remember every Lord you piss off will want his revenge on your fiefs, so piss off as few as possible.

I've also noticed that raiding caravans of enemy faction as a merc is really profitable when you're fighting for a faction that has many enemies (quite often Northubria it seems). The caravans always use more or less the same routes so I just need to park my raiders on a good spot and wait.

I think you can call this learning since I'm practically answering my own question also :grin:
  16. Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

I have a quick question:

In which skill should I invest to get the shield taunt ability? There seems to be mixed information around whether it's leadership or athletics. Do any other skills affect?
  17. How to be a successful viking conqueror? Please help!

Thanks again for good answers. The thread linked by Kalarhan about where to build your kingdom was really good.

So i'm thinking now that my goal is to take Dunwic from East Engla. The main reason for this is rp, but I also want to be able quickly get more pagan warriors from Norse lands. It will not be the easiest pick but taking it in coastal assault shouldn't be hard. I'm a bit worried about how to hold the city, though. Perhaps I could provoke other factions on waging war on them so they wouldn't be too powerful.

One more question: Is the chance of capturing a lord after battle purely random or can I somehow affect it? I find it very frustrating that when I'm trying to capture a noble he often escapes after the battle even if I personally knock him out. I am referring to one of those guides which suggests that I should try to capture the enemy's king and marshal to make the faction weaker.

OT:
    I found a hilarious way to exploit the way AI handles formations in VC. I was attacking 220 men with 40 men just to see how things would go. My character has a horse so I ordered my troops to hold position and rushed ahead to pick some of their soldiers and also to knock out their leader. I got too carried away and they killed my horse but since I don't use realistic saving I thought I'd see how many I could kill on my own. The answer was 180.

I saw that most of the enemy troops were poor, mostly tier 1 and tier 2 without shields, and about 40 better armed soldiers who were all in the front line. For some reason the left flank in enemy formations have poor troops so I started attacking the last guy in the row with a big axe. Now the enemy formation started turning, trying to face my character but I kept pushing the left flank and killing every time some poor farmer stepped in to take the last place in the line. The scene was absurd: the enemy formation kept rotating counter clockwise and kept killing the left flank untill only the 40 elite troops were left and then let my men take care of them. It took a lot of time and I consider it cheating but it was kinda fun. High athletics is necessary so that you can keep up with the rotation of the formation and i also had berserker skill which helped a lot.
  18. How to be a successful viking conqueror? Please help!

Thank you for the link. I am aware of most of these tips and my problem on my viking career is not that i can't make enough money (by trading and killing bandits) or that I can't win battles.  It's my long term strategy that is failing. I get by very well as a thieving and murdering raider but when I try to actually get a foothold in Britain everything starts to go wrong. So if someone wants to share strategic tips on how to actually start conquering as a viking.

I tested VC playing as a nice guy with high positive reputation and good relations with christian kingdoms and the game was quite easy. But also lame. I've read often that it seems that this game encourages players to be "bad" and have negative reputation but I think it makes the game a lot harder.
  19. How to be a successful viking conqueror? Please help!

Greetings fellow raiders and plunderers! I've been playing VC for couple of days now and I love it even more than the original Brytenwalda mod. Finally I can make my character a real viking!... Except that being a viking made my character's life so miserable that after almost 200 days of raping...
  20. Viking Conquest map camera tracking

Thank you everyone for such quick answers! Indeed when I kicked out Caio the camera started to work just fine. I will also try to download the newest patch.
Back
Top Bottom