Mercenary pay 2.005

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
So I signed up with a faction to be a mercenary to help with cost, but it was next to nothing. My upkeep was around 4,500 and I was getting 100-300 for mercenary pay which is too low imo. It should at least cover half your parties upkeep.

What do you guys think? In other mods it ussally covers most of the upkeep, but in VC it hardy covers food costs.

Maybe this is a bug?

300 coins might cut it if I bring 8 ruffians, but if I bring the Jomsvikings the faction needs to pay up. This is something that needs to scale with your upkeep. Otherwise it is a waste of time and coin to follow a marshal around.

reiksmarshal said:
300 coins might cut it if I bring 8 ruffians, but if I bring the Jomsvikings the faction needs to pay up. This is something that needs to scale with your upkeep. Otherwise it is a waste of time and coin to follow a marshal around.

being a mercenary is not about getting free toops (no wage), but about having permission to attack/raid/pillage a faction with the support of a kingdom behind you.

You will help them in battles, but mostly you will enjoy the freedom to make war and get loot

Being a mercenary is about getting paid, even in warband in general you get a much better weekly pay. I get your point, but 100-300 coins in this game is literally peanuts.

erennuman_mb said:
Buy farmsteads in towns.

I have been grinding for 112 days and I just bought my first farmstead in Norway for 17,000, it should give me 600-800 a week which is a help.

reiksmarshal said:
Being a mercenary is about getting paid, even in warband in general you get a much better weekly pay. I get your point, but 100-300 coins in this game is literally peanuts.

300 is too little (companions cost a lot if you have them). But remember that the marshal will ask you to bring 8-10 soldiers, not 100. So if you are a small warlord working as a mercenary you should not have a big weekly wage.

If you want to have a army (big one) ... that is on you  :razz: (you should join a faction as a vassal and work on getting fiefs so you can get rent/tariffs)

or visit the tweak thread http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,323613.msg8061394.html#msg8061394

I think getting started as a warrior is a bit too difficult in this game, especially if you choose to serve any of the Norse realms (because they seem so peace loving they hardly wage any war). For a role player like myself it feels wrong (and unrealistic) that a fierce viking raider needs to be a half time merchant and half time real estate investor just so that he can do a little fighting and pillaging in his spare time.

Tiera said:
I think getting started as a warrior is a bit too difficult in this game, especially if you choose to serve any of the Norse realms (because they seem so peace loving they hardly wage any war). For a role player like myself it feels wrong (and unrealistic) that a fierce viking raider needs to be a half time merchant and half time real estate investor just so that he can do a little fighting and pillaging in his spare time.

That is why I tweaked monasteries to award 3000-5000 gold whenever I raid them. Balance is everything.

Its strange that the OP was only getting 100 - 300 when his upkeep is 4500. Buggy game?  I've always gotten at least a quarter of my upkeep paid.

It's tough getting started, you should keep your party size low in the beginning.  I ran around with just companions until i could afford a few farmsteads.  Hit up every tournament you come across as well.  Once you're strong enough to start raiding villages and caravans, the gold will start flowing in.

Jellyfish_sammich said:
Tiera said:

That is why I tweaked monasteries to award 3000-5000 gold whenever I raid them. Balance is everything.

How does this work in reforged edition? I've searched the tweak thread but all the lines and numbers in my menus.txt are different.

Stoned Crusader, It does it by party-strength value divided by 2 plus 30 (or something like that).  Seemed to work out at roughly a quarter of wages as you said. I'm guessing that he put most of his troops into a refuge in an attempt to keep costs down, then they weren't counted for the party strength. 

Hi guys,

I will try to answer all the comments at once.
The mercenary payment is made (actually it comes from native) for the very begin of the game so you will be asked to bring few troops and not an army. Thats why the payment is that low. In addition, the purpose of the game is to encourage the player to follow his own path (maybe this expression doesn't make much sense) and use these minor quests as a "help" to his economy and no the "big" part. Maybe, and only maybe, this payment if increase once we confirm it isn't doing the role we think for it.
An army of 4500 coins/week is a huge one, try to create your own kingdom hahahaha

Tiera said:

mmmm The vikings were more merchants than warriors  :roll: They raid in order to have something to trade with.

I think the assumption is that a lot of your money will come from raiding villages. You don't get dishonour (at least in native) when raiding villages while signed up as a merc since you are basically doing your job. You do get dishonour from harassing villagers though, or from raiding caravans and villages while unaffiliated (banditry)

Make sure you have a core of strong units like Svear Warriors, about 100 total, then go raiding villages. Any lords who do spot you will probably leave you, and if they dont you will win because svears are equal to tier 4 norse units, answerable only to Huscarls, they will stomp through tier 1-3 norse and 1-4 everything else units with ease. It's also worth noting that when attacking the villagers, if you tell your men to hang back and just send your companions ahead then they will get a ton of weapon skills and exp. You can level them super fast and get 250+ weapon skills on them by doing this. I typically use str 12 int 30 (trainer 10) companions so they are slow as heck and can barely equip the good gear and have like 2 weapon master, but they still end up with super high level and weapon skills eventually, and your party skills end up high (I also go 12 str 30 int so I end up with 10+4 party skills doing this)

KiriKaneko said:
I typically use str 12 int 30 (trainer 10) companions

Hmm not sure if you know but in VC you only need 20 int to get 10 trainer skill. They changed it to half rather than a third, sorry to be the bad bearer. May need to do some editing :wink:

Sorry my mistake, I am aware it was 20 int, I typically use the minimum str, 30 int build in warband mods but for VC it's min str, 20 int. Training is still kinda awful and I don't bother with it much but there's not much other use for companions since the cost of equipping them and the time to train them just isnt worth it for a few immortal top tier units, I'd rather have the millions of cash so I can buy as many mercs as I want

KiriKaneko said:
Sorry my mistake, I am aware it was 20 int, I typically use the minimum str, 30 int build in warband mods but for VC it's min str, 20 int. Training is still kinda awful and I don't bother with it much but there's not much other use for companions since the cost of equipping them and the time to train them just isnt worth it for a few immortal top tier units, I'd rather have the millions of cash so I can buy as many mercs as I want

Glad to hear i haven't ruined your day :lol: :lol:

Once you get a kingdom or even just a town while your vassal i find it very useful as i normally go on the defensive to build up cash flow, a few days of your peasants with 5 good trainers and you got some good troops. Its just troops in VC start quite high levels so your companions need to be level 20 before the trainer skill is worth anything but tbf you aren't going to have a town until at least lvl 20 anyway.

My companions equipment comes off dead men :twisted: I rarely buy my self equipment tbh normally comes from tournaments/special locations then my companions get my left overs, because im nice like that :shifty:

KiriKaneko said:

ThorsHammer said:
KiriKaneko said:
I typically use str 12 int 30 (trainer 10) companions

Hmm not sure if you know but in VC you only need 20 int to get 10 trainer skill. They changed it to half rather than a third, sorry to be the bad bearer. May need to do some editing :wink:

In VC RE you can only have 5 training (skill). If you have 18 intelligence you get a small bonus to training on refuge/your court. So for max skill you need 10 INT, and for the extra bonus 18 INT.

kalarhan said:
In VC RE you can only have 5 training (skill). If you have 18 intelligence you get a small bonus to training on refuge/your court. So for max skill you need 10 INT, and for the extra bonus 18 INT.

Never tried to go past 5, now i know not to bother :roll: glad i checked back was going to go all out trainer squad for my new campaign lol

Oh something this just reminded me that your trainer in your refuge relies on your main chars trainer skill (if this hasn't changed), that took me ages to figure out :lol: anyways thats me done, Ive got well off-topic!! :oops:

kalarhan said:

(Off topic) but thanks for verifying the max trainer skill is 5.

Pre-patch it was 10, wasn't sure if my game was bugged until I read this. It means you really only need 8 INT for max training (4 points) & the Trainer book "Epitoma Rei Militaris" will give you the final 5th point. Even if you have a natural 5 training, the book does NOT bump it up to 6 (tested in 2.005)

Back
Top Bottom