What do you want Bannerlord to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

since you guys have "necroed" this topic I'll give my sincere opinion: First I want it to be whatever the devs have planned it to be, then I can give feedback to improve upon their idea, not change it.
The dream-game for this genre of which they hold "monopoly"(there's only M&B like M&B) would be something with KCD like combat, but more fluid, M&B base game system, RPG like quests even if radiant like in Skyrim, but a bit more interesting like the ones we see in Witcher 3 contracts, CK2 systems for RTS part, dynasties, and game length, but improved, with better simulation of fiefs. Such a thing would be extremely hard to do because KCD combat is clumsy due to it being too hard to simulate a realistic system for sword fighting, the rest can still be done in the game, though to reach such scopes for both dynasty and game length, the map would need to be WAAAAAY bigger.

Last edited:
What i Want:
- Dynamic and real personnality of your companions.
- More possibles roles in the game (for now, the only interesting thing to do is kingdom and war)
- Religion things (like Brytenwalda mod & Viking expansion)
- Boats, ports, attack from boats and between boats.

Mount&Blade is a crossover between a classic roleplaying game, CK2 type strategy and total war battles from ego perspective.
Whilst it didn't do any of the above great (it cannot do them all great since it does them all at once) every aspect of the game was just about
good enough that it kind of worked. This crossover made it unique and revolutionary.
This.

It's hard to achieve all these, but once it does, it would be a game that lasts another 10 years (hopefully not).

With the traits and relationship system, I also think the devs are trying to have a honor system in the roleplaying part, but this part is sadly broken now. A well-designed honor system does not force the player to choose one path. Instead, the two (or more) paths bring different flavors to the game. Like the honor system in RDR2, different choices lead to slightly different dialogues and contents. Bannerlord honor system is more of a placeholder atm. Hope they have something better prepared.

At the least just replace all the stuff missing from Warband.

Unique castles and villages instead of the same thing copypasted over and over. Decent looking helmets. Feasts. Equipment box on the battlefield, and also a stash box in the castle. Bunch of other stuff I can't recall right now.

I wish it'd be more event based game. It's got a lot better in recent beta (1.4.2) but still 90% of the stuff happening in game is RNG based and ruins immersion.

In addition, things are happening too quick. I don't see that happening but adding roads and speed penalty for travelling off roads would fix this issue, along with castles having finally a usage for guarding these roads.

At minimum I wanted Bannerlord to be warband with better graphics and some streamlined UI. During develpoment phase my hopes got up a notch, with some nice info from blogs I began to imagine it something more to my tastes, like more visual appealing, less buggy Viking Conquest. But somewhere along the line videos from cons were published, and I abandoned hope for this extra bit.

At the moment, Bannerlord is shaping to be exactly what I expected: Warband with better graphics and some general gameplay improvements. And I accept it. Fighting seems enjoyable, rudamentary tactics sorta work. I am confident mods will make this game as replayable as predacessor. Bryttenwalda 2 FTW :smile:

I want it to be playable. So give us at least the features we already had in Warband, improve (or better add) the AI, make combat "better" and so on.

While I'd be semi-content with Bannerlord being little more than Warband with updated graphics, I'd really hope for a bit more meaningful interaction with the world. That would include more (and better) diplomatic options with other lords. It would also include some semblance of an economy and population model, so factions don't keep respawning large numbers of fresh high-tier troops out of thin air after 20 defeats in the past month alone. I want things to do both in times of war and in times of peace, rather than merely being a battle generation system with a few strategic bits thrown in.

In other words, I want a little more of a world to explore and manipulate between the combats, and diplomatic options deeper than merely "Die" or "Goodbye".

I'd like to see day and night cycles, dynamic global lighting in addition to static global lighting, more realistic and diverse weather systems, more animations, including but not limited to NPC animations in towns, quests, town-building systems, all houses hopefully having their own scenes,

A simple strategic game with excellent battle animations (very life like), a BASE that modders can use to create gems.

So modding should be easy ... like placing all the data in a SQL Server database, and changing the data with SQL Windows Query language. (just like CIV 5) - ZERO hard coding !

Why do you both want good animations as if it has any considerable impact on the gameplay.
A simple strategic game with excellent battle animations (very life like), a BASE that modders can use to create gems.

So modding should be easy ... like placing all the data in a SQL Server database, and changing the data with SQL Windows Query language. (just like CIV 5) - ZERO hard coding !

It's funny how just a year ago, excepting feasts in the first months of EA was considered a reasonable estimate and now the most realistic expectation is for TW not to hinder the modders so they can put together a worthy sequel.

At this point, I'd throw out all of the new gimmicks if they could just make it Warband but with new graphics and some fixes to obvious bugs and smaller issues. I'd much rather have a fun game than a sinkhole of a game with numerous half-baked gimmicks, hundreds of bugs and no real gain in sight.

Basic Mount & Blade was excellent as a battle generator with some RPG elements to build your character, companions, and an army. The problem was that you ended up "all dressed up and nowhere to go". There was no way up from "vassal". It was possible to play as a traveling merchant, but there wasn't a lot of depth to it. You could build up Relations with other lords, but ultimately there was no point in it. There were no kingdom options at all, since you couldn't form your own kingdom.

Warband allowed you to create your own kingdom, but the diplomatic and economic options were extremely limited. Once again, aside from generating battles and painting the map, there wasn't really much to "do" as king, and keeping your vassals from rebelling was tedious and unrealistic. Other than offering to do menial "quests" for other lords, there was very little interaction possible with the NPCs.

Now we've got a much higher-resolution game with even less "to do" while at peace, and keeping your vassals in line is still tedious and unrealistic. Rather than expanding on the options in Warband, we seem to have lost a few.

If this were more like a Paradox grand-strategy game, there would be ways to corner the market on specific products, or at least deny them to the enemy, and the enemy would suffer shortages of supplies or equipment as a result. You'd be able to utilize spies to undercut a rival's authority or sow discontent. You'd be able to entice lords of other factions through bribes, trade deals, offers of military support, or other possibilities. You'd be able to build up and improve your holdings, or provide economic incentives for your vassals to build up as well, in order to insure a decent supply of critical resources and manpower, while improving relations. In short, you'd be running a kingdom, not just leading an army.

If it were a Bethesda game, the world would include at least a few NPCs with unique dialog or quests, hidden things to discover, and an interesting "world" to live in, not just a battle generator. As it is, there's not much reason to visit the towns and villages after you've met the few merchants and the town leader. Basically, there's no reason to go there unless sent on a quest, such as to buy cattle or hunt down a fugitive.

At this point, about all I can hope for is that the game is moddable enough for someone to put a real economy, diplomatic system, and personalities in the game to turn it into a hybrid with working tactical, strategic, and RPG elements. As it stands, only the combat element is really functional.

Back
Top Bottom