SP - General Bring back Late Medieval Age gear to Bannerlord!

Users who are viewing this thread

The criteria is revealed in the pinned Top Suggestions, post #3 - its 30+ organic non-spam replies and 500 views OR 50+ voters on that thread's poll.
I probably should have found the sticky for that then. I just kind of stumbled upon this lol. Ty for the info.

Yeah, feels like an equipment downgrade in comparison to Warband.

+ plate armor (gothic armor, italian armor, maximilian armor, etc. all the good **** :wink:
+ plate shoulders (different types, like for cavallery or foot knights)
+ more meele weapons in general (huge zweihänders, poleaxes, more elite versions of every kind of weapon)

I'm in favor of adding more plate armor into the game. It would be mostly for Vlandia and the Empire though, as it really doesn't fit the other factions.

Technically some of the items referred to here are "late" medieval period, but there are already some parts of Bannerlord already in the game that could be described as late medieval anyways.

Strictly speaking, there should be a way to distinguish between tailor made plate armor and mass produced Munition Armor. Perhaps tier 4 and 5 units would get Munition Armor. Only Lords and maybe tier 6 units would get top end customized plate armor.

Another consideration is that some of the Renaissance era armors mentioned here aren't really meant for combat. They were jousting armor. They could weigh as much as 50 kg and was not really meant for free moving combat - mostly limited by the carrying weight of the horse. Of course, that super-heavy armor would make for an insanely cool tournament idea.

So strictly speaking we should distinguish between:
  1. Custom made combat armor (typically in the 15-25 kg weight range) that is for Lords and tier 6 units. These are full combat suits.
  2. Mass produced "munition" plate armor for ordinary soldiers - probably tier 5 or maybe tier 4 troops. These too are made for combat.
  3. Ultra heavy jousting armor not really meant for combat, but would be a really cool tournament idea.

Alongside that would be a greater emphasis on counterattacking armored units. Blunt weapons (we will need 2 handed maces), pollaxes, halberds, longer tarpered swords, war hammers, etc.

See (skip to 0:22 or later, as this is selling a product - no promotion is intended on my part - I just wanted to show what a war hammer can do):

We have maces and billhooks as of 1.5.x - it just needs to be expanded on.

+ where are the crossbows?

Technically we do have Crossbows. Vlandia in particular emphasizes them.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd rather the game have some sort of progression system that allows new 'more advanced' armors and weapons to show up and be introduced as the game progresses. As it is, the game is meant to be played in such a way that if you have a long running campaign, you'll be moving along through the Calradian years. I'd be in favor of having certain things like 'Wall Level 2' be locked behind a check against the game's current date. Same with certain weapons and armor. I'd much rather this be a way to bring in 'kewl' plate armor than just throw a bunch of random armor from all sorts of periods. I'd also prefer, if this was the case, that armor like the Vlandian Coat of Plates and others be moved into those later game dates.

See I want the opposite, I dislike the high middle age setting and would prefer something closer to a dark age vibe. Plate Armor and High Middle Age settings are overdone, I'm tired of it.

Same! I want like an -the rise of the looters type of dlc :smile: with epic forged sickles and dragon made rags from the mountains of Urmant...But i guess those where probably just drunkard stories they told me at the Inn

Last edited:
Personally, I was disappointed to see heavy featuring of leather and studded leather armor, despite the fact that realistically, that isn't too good of armor. My guess is since the era they chose doesn't have as many armor options, they needed something to fill the gaps, but that's speculation. They should absolutely focus on the core mechanics and gameplay first and foremost, but later on I would *love* to see another pass taken at the armor designs. A full on later-medieval expansion in the future would be absolutely amazing, and I'd buy that even faster than I would buying the base game.

I'm not actually a huge fan of the aesthetics of the early medieval period either, but it's too late to change the game's whole look now. Visual overhauls to suit people's preferences are something that can and will be done with mods. I'd prefer the artists were working on new battle scenes, since those benefit everybody.

Last edited:
I think new armors and helmets like I suggested in my thread bellow would be very welcome (and some shoulder armors too). Could fit in the game..

Look, I understand. You wanted to set the game in early 11th century or whatever. Problem is that the gear variety and design is **** for that age. It's either super heavy armour for the Sarranids (I dont remember the name nor do I care, too long to remember) or the medium ish armour for the European based Kingdoms. Warband was cool because it also had cool armours and weapons. With Bannerlord, everything is a huge improvement (despite huge fps loss in sieges) except for the ****ty gear.

Now, before people start claiming they wanted to make the game based in early medieval age. Well, let me tell you something. Trebuchets for one, weren't a thing in Europe until early 1200s... next? The castles. Their constructions, their design and layout is far too advanced for early medieval age. The cool **** we seeing rn is actually late medieval, or somewhere close to that age. So stop with the BS
Also, they showed concept art of crusader helms in one of their concept arts. Not in the game tho smh

LeyJo.png

Hard Hard pass, can not disagree more. We did that. We had that game already.

I find Early Medieval far more interesting than Late Medieval.
And personally I hate full plate armors.
Me too i like personally the current lamellar gear a lot more then some ****ty overdone plate gear like i have already seen that a million times and in mount and blade too so to me i 100% agree with you

Nope
unhistorical
I really want more valliation of vlandia armor tho

I believe they should set it just after the western roman empire fell which would make sense with the calradian empire falling and the kuhzaits could then be like the huns and battanians would be the barbarians. I also firmly belive that the empire should have more plumed helmets like a centurions helmet or something hell they could even add a new noble troop tree meant to be for officers and they could have a tessararius, an optio, a centurion the list goes on I think this would add more depth to the game on a whole!

Back
Top Bottom