Recent content by Sparkyninja

1. SP - General Casus Belli, Claims and War Exhaustion: An Additional System to Promote a Status Quo among Factions

This reminds me to CKII, and I believe casus belli would certainly make things slower.

But, this is something of late medieval age, where Nobles and King's wanted to keep a status quo, by not allowing "commoners" to become nobles by conquering something.

Also as any potential conquering faction as Romans, Vikings, Nomads this would go against their politics.

Also for the player this could become a hindrance because if you manage to conquer a castle and it has a claimant within your faction they would have the upper hand in the election.

Yea I've played ck2 for years alongside Warband so it is inspired.
    I would say that with regards to being more a late medieval phenomenom in terms of Casus Belli and claims, absolutely you are probably right however I should point out William the Bastard invaded Egland in 1066 to press his claim that Edward the Confessor had appointed him as heir to the Kingdom of England, and presenting a 'Just' reason for war was a key part in gaining papacy approval and solidifying, rightfully or otherwise, his claim to the throne.

As for other more appropriate Casus Belli for other cultures I left that out of the initial post as to keep the idea concise and directed to the overall systems rather than convolude the post. Imperials should absolutely gain Casus Belli against other Imperial factions and/or reconquest. The Nords (when their added) should get outright conquest reasons for war. However for initial balance (which I have no idea about) I felt limiting the scope would help applying the game practically.

As to the final part about claims becoming a hinderance, that's actually part of the reason for the internal claims to be allowed. Players should have to deal with internal power struggles alongside external and seek to either exploit it for their gain, or fail and potentially see revolt as the only means to further the clan's goals. Its just as much about giving NPC clans teeth to cause internal strife instead of just opposing votes, potentially letting players form personal vendettas against clans, perfect meme potential if not for creating a lively back story.

The system is mostly in place already (at least for the War Exhaustion mechanic) since the number of casualties, succesful sieges and raids are already tracked in the diplomacy tab.

I like the idea of War Exhaustion and I feel like it would go a long way to prevent snowballing. As for numbers and mechanics, I would say that casualties / battles should absolutely be counted towards War Exhaustion, otherwise an inferior faction won't be able to win the war at all, since it doesn't have enough men to take and hold enemy settlements against a larger faction (in this case, the inferior faction should be defensive and seek to protect its cities and villages rather than trying to conquer enemy lands).

Another mechanic I feel would greatly benefit the game is Threat, where other factions view a larger / more powerful faction as a threat to their existence and seek to ally each other (or to declare war simultaneously on the larger faction, putting it on the defensive and forcing it to fight on multiple fronts).

Aside from that, I feel like there should be a lot more animosity among clans in the same faction. For example, clans could dispute settlements that are already in their faction among each other given certain requirements, having other clans back their preferred side or just abstain. If the clan claiming ownership of the land feels like it has the upper hand, it could demand the settlement be handed to them or go to war, bringing in the supporters on their side. Otherwise, the king could try to mediate peace by promising future conquered lands, giving away money or just outright supporting one side. If both sides can't come to a solution but also don't want to fight (maybe they feel war would be too costly, or that a stalemate would be more likely), then clans on the same side would gain relations amongst themselves and lose relations with the clans on the other side.

I suppose the background for tracking background is in place as you said. So yea, I agree with you that battles and casualties could contribute to War Exhaustion, the original idea was to keep it simple and sweet as possible, but if there's already tracking there; a few formulae could be applied to work out an adequete war exhaustion tick.

As for threat I definitely see the appeal and the claim system of keeping a claim for 10 years is a form of that, just simplified. If a faction takes land then the faction that lost it should keep a claim for a while at the least, and if lots of small limited wars take place eventually a faction will accrue Casus Belli against it leading organically to almost consistent wars against the initial agressor. This is in conjunction with the mentality of this suggestion that the ideas should be as simple as possible (If you can keep ideas "simple stupid" they will work much better at practise)

Internal wars between clans in a faction would absolutely be a dream of mine in future, a tad out of scope of this suggestion but the background to that is definitely what I was going for, proper internal intrigue, diplomacy, warring politics :grin:

Somebody likes EU too much :razz: The concept WOULD be a nice addition to the game. It would also make sense that the higher the War Exhaustion, the cheaper it is to make peace, which would make it easier for players when fighting a much larger Kingdom. If you can hold out for a while, the political pressure will lead the enemy to value the peace more.

However, a 10 year claim man? That seems way too long for this game

I wouldn't say so much it should be cheaper to make peace, just that the AI should be pushed towards it. If the 'defender' of the war can punish an enemy for marching into their lands then that would be fantastic application of War Exhaustion. (also aye I like EU4 too :lol:)

As for length of claims, I honestly pulled the numbers from my ass. I reckoned 10 years was a good middle ground between life long dynasty styled political gameplay and more casual burning through the map as quick as allowed. Just came down to personal preference for what I think the game's pace should be.

Just as a last point for any reading, cheers for having a take on the idea, I hope someone is inspired by this to include some ideas in the game or a mod. The idea is based around looking to encourage limited wars between factions. Some would see that as boring and restrictive, but I think Bannerlord would really excel with elongated campaigns.
  2. SP - General Casus Belli, Claims and War Exhaustion: An Additional System to Promote a Status Quo among Factions

Preface: So there's no secret that Bannerlord suffers from a snowballing effect as a result of many misbalances and some bugs. This is a series of suggestions aimed at providing an additional system by which factions are required to slow down expansion, preferentially target land once held, seek...
  3. Screenshot Mega Thread

Amagic said:
    March 3 supply barges, base assaults in june, building sized Chryssalid queens. Pain hardly describes it, more like !!FUN!!

Or you can have it my style of longwar... Ironman impossible first try, only maybe 4 missions in March, so I only have a handful of Specs and 1-2 Lcpls. 5 April, terror mission.

In otherwords, how to **** any human resistance in 1 month solid.
  4. Rome II: Total War

Playing with Radious myself, tis decent enough. There ARE times when those little one settlement factions can pump out 2-3 stacks and it pisses you off, while the larger factions aren't able to field THAT many more. Learnt that you never trust Iberians or the senate... Never never never...
  5. Scottish Independence

Jhessail said:
    Britain has also wanted to rid itself of Falklands but obviously that has been impossible since the war. Pesky public opinion getting on the way of the better-knowing civil service...

Not so much anymore considering the possibility that there be oil under it! That's almost certainly one reason why the Argentines had a brief flourish of anti-British-ness a few years back. Well, a more evident period of, "**** you Britain!" Than it usually does..
  6. Ukraine Today

ScreamingCommie said:
    Putin be like Cri-me-a river.

Hope that helps
  7. Ukraine Today

Tancred_de_Houdan said:
    Crimean gays are now even more buggered than ever!

Scotland will get nukes!

A plane has disappeared into the immaterium!

Aaaaaeeeeghhhooouugh!!!

tumblr_mir686U51Q1qif29xo1_400.gif

:lol: That gif along with the last  'word' just made me laugh.
  8. Merry Christmas

Well I for one celebrate a lot on the Eve of Christmas Eve :razz:

Then Christmas morning of course, then out on Boxing day :grin:
  9. Screenshot Mega Thread

So I decide to try and land on Duna...

1024x768.resizedimage

Going well!
  10. Who are these banned/muted/warned people? (Discussion thread links in OP)

I loved the part when he called me Sparkyboy then proceeded to be unable to fathom why on Earth I had suddenly decided to 'comment' on his discussion. Us random people simply cannot comprehend the genius that this man, von Hiller was displaying, oh no. We had to resort to 'calling him names' and! Dare I say it, 'Disagreeing with him:eek:
  11. The United States of America and the Money

I hate you all, I tried salvaging this.

[me=Sparkyninja]throws his papers in the air[/me]
  12. The United States of America and the Money

Mage246 said:
    Uh wut? Are you trying to say there was some kind of government conspiracy to manipulate the markets?

More manipulation, sort of like when a government reduces business taxes to encourage businesses or increases the minimum wage and reduces state financial aid to persuade people into work.

EDIT: Think man waving his arms wildly at children trying to scare them then a kid kicks him in the sack.
  13. Screenshot Mega Thread

While I believe that such a rule would be advantageous in certain ways it could have the opposite effect. I think requiring to ask about a game will almost make the asker more intrigued in the game, I also believe for the sake of it, it increases post count and furthermore activity between users and the original poster or someone who knows the game in a shot might then offer up their view and worth of the game.

My 2 pence anyway.
  14. Why are the users on this forum so intelligent?

Well thank God. He did make this place seem more retarded than it usually was.
  15. The United States of America and the Money

Righto, down to the actual topic of 'Murica and its ****tard government. Now considering the whole drama about the debt ceiling and the timing.

Through a little analysis and previous events, I'd like to point out that, while there was a real disagreement in Washington over a treasury deal, it was almost handled in a way to attempt to effect the Dow Jones(And other markets).
    I'd point to the previous Debt Ceiling crisis in 2011; Dow Jones chart. Change it to the 3 year chart

With the chart you can see that during the crisis in 2011, there is a period through August and September of the Dow Jones (For future reference DJ) being lower, as naturally the Exchange went ****ing mental at this new and scary problem of the American government running out of money.*

Now, we all now through our own experiences that governments like to think they have a handle on things, perhaps Americans more often than most. If you flick the DJ chart back to 1 month you'll see the shock the crisis caused at the start, as you'd expect to happen when your government says it'll run out of money, however I find it interesting that within a few days, the DJ began to rally again, and didn't contract through even the worst news and threats coming out of Washington, as would be expected from previous debt crises.
    Now, even in the backwater country of Northern Ireland, we constantly heard a ****lot about how bad everything would be and even some apocalyptic bull****, but the message from the markets seem to contradict this, even as Republicans tried messing with Obamacare, almost as if there was no opportunity for a break in the grid-lock of the Senate, yet the Markets continued to grow. I'd like to theorise that a lot (Not all) of the huffing and puffing from the Senate was an attempt to 'correct' the DJ down a 1000 points or so considering the fundamentals aren't growing with the bullish growth nearly every market worldwide has seen.

Then consider the sudden yet expected deal, I'd like to say that a lot of the later bickering and stalling of the Senate was rejected by investors and share holders essentially calling the Senate's bluff, which seemingly paid off.

TL;DR Gov bluffed, Markets call it, Markets win.

Now the point of this theory? Is really to ask if the American government should really be using something as serious as a Debt Ceiling crisis to try and manipulate markets to what they think they should be? I mean, if they bluffed once and took it to the wire, whats saying another time the wire snaps? Then a little manipulation attempt by some jackass in 'Murica will end up screwing quite a sizeable proportion of the world.

*I thought posting charts of other markets such as the FTSE 100 and DAX would prove the effect of American debt ceiling to the rest of the world;
    FTSE 100 As before check 3 year
    DAX ^
Back
Top Bottom