SP - General Casus Belli, Claims and War Exhaustion: An Additional System to Promote a Status Quo among Factions

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparkyninja

Grandmaster Knight
Preface:
So there's no secret that Bannerlord suffers from a snowballing effect as a result of many misbalances and some bugs. This is a series of suggestions aimed at providing an additional system by which factions are required to slow down expansion, preferentially target land once held, seek peace and punish factions that either overexpand too quickly or refuse to seek peace. It should be noted that any numbers I'm stating here are literally thrown out there, if you have a better grasp on how balance should be feel free to say.

Casus Belli:
Casus Belli literally means, "an act or event that provokes or is used to justify war." Basically the onus should be placed on the faction seeking to declare war to have a reason for it. The scope of this suggestion right now only details that a singular claim can be used as Casus Belli at any one time, even if other claims are there to be enforced. Currently at game start factions are at war, preferably with this suggestion they would not be at war at game start.
(Any further expansion of reasons could theoretically include simplier one like right of conquest, prisoner raids, embargos, etc.)

Claims:
"But what is a Claim?" I hear asked. A claim is legal rite pressed by clans that they should legally own a piece of land. Currently at game start every settlement with walls (castles and cities) is owned by a clan, with this suggestion these clans would have permanent claims on these walled settlements (just called settlements from here on out) that do not expire while the settlement is held by that clan. If a clan has a claim on a settlement which they do not control as a result of war or other reasons (expanded in a bit) then their claim begins to decay over a 10 year period.

If a claim can decay due to the clan not owning the settlement then there must be a method by which clans can form new claims for which the faction can use as Casus Belli. There could be developed a clan level intrigue option that utilises clan jobs (setting a clan member as a spy), clan influence and cash, and skills such as roguery, tactics and ?leadership?, and also is influenced by the mental attributes; cunning, social and intelligence of the clan member. This feature would have the clan spy directed towards any settlement that the clan does not have a claim on, and through dice roles influenced by skills and attributes, supplemented by influence and cash costs, the spy would generate a claim on that settlement, which also lasts 10 years. Should remind readers at this point it isn't clans that press these claims but the faction the clan belongs to.

Three more things must be clarified with relation to claims and Casus Belli:
1.If and when a faction goes to war for a claim, when the settlement is captured byt the faction, normal voting should take place to decide who would get the settlement, with the clan with the claim having a buff to their voting block, basically the other clans would have the option to vote and ratify a clan's claim to the settlement and would more likely vote for them if the relationship between the clans is not too bad, while also opening the door for intrigue and clans looking to take advantage of the situation.
2.If a faction captures the settlement it declared war for, it does not end the war, the war continues and further battles and settlement taking can take place. the Casus Belli is only the justification for war, it does not dictate its' conclusion. To this end, War Exhaustion would be a mechanic to encourage factions to make peace.
3.This system of claims could ferment a large degree of internal strife and give justification for clans to rebel against the faction if they are either bullied by the faction leader or lose out due to intrigue by other clans.

War Exhaustion:
Before I get into War Exhaustion; this is the suggestion where I am least confident on the numbers and how they may balance, any issues people have with this, please suggest either alternate methods or numbers.
War Exhaustion exists for both the attackers and defenders, directly influenced by the taking of settlements and a general tick up over months. It would be a scale of 0-100 tracked for each faction in the conflict, with consequences taking effect at the higher limits for the faction that reaches them:
  1. As a base, ?both? sides would have a gradual increase of 10 war exhaustion per month/seasion. This should be consistent and slow enough to allow factions to fight pitched battles and give an impression of stalemate if no settlements are taken.
  2. When war is declared a Casus Belli targets a settlement which has a claim on it from a clan within the aggressor faction. During the war, if either side takes that settlement, no war exhaustion is gained, reflecting a focal point for the war, increasing field battles and general struggle for the settlement (hopefully).
  3. If either side takes a settlement other than the one for which war was declared, war exhaustion should increase for the faction that takes the settlement; 20 war exhaustion for castles, 40 war exhaustion for cities. This should reflect a faction's "Right of Conquest" during the war but also reflect increasing disillusion among the clans for fighting the war if the targeted settlement isn't the focus of attack.
So what effects occur from war exhaustion?
At first, no penalties should be applied to the faction, reflecting a desire and drive among the clans to fight the war. However, after a point, which I suggest should be 60 war exhaustion, penalties relating to influence costs for forming an army should be applied, the gist is that after 60 war exhaustion it should become harder and harder to form a cohesive army to fight enemy armies and lay siege to settlements. In terms of figures I suggest for each point from 60-100 war exhaustion, a 3% increase to influence costs for armies should be applied, leading to a 120% increase in influence costs by 100 war exhaustion, reflecting the unwillingness of clans to continue fighting a war and a desire to return to peace. These figures are the those I am least confident in, if you have a better grasp please comment.

The reason I would prefer war exhaustion to be tied to settlements and not field battles is to keep the system less complex and more focused on the more important feature of taking land from the enemy in a war.

After a point, suggesting 70 war exhaustion, the AI faction leader would begin to have background weight applied to make it more likely to seek peace, but peace must be accepted for both sides, reflecting an attacker over extending themselves and defenders then fighting back with a more cohesive force, helping to prevent snowballing.

The final part of the war exhaustion suggestion (and part I am least sure on, conceptually) is the idea that it can accumulate in multiple wars.
For example; the Vlandians take land from Sturgia, Battania and the Western Empire in seperate wars in quick succession. After a truce period those three factions individually declare war on Vlandia at the same time to attempt to retake the land the Vlandians took, resulting in war exhaustion potentially peaking out at 300 for Vlandia, or a 360% increase in influence costs in forming an army for the Vlandians, reflecting a situation where the Vlandians are completely overwhelmed. This can be prevented by the Vlandians taking and holding over a period of time, those lands until claims have decayed or, the clan with the claim has defected or been wiped out.

The consequences of this prospective series of systems is the following:
  1. Factions cannot declare war without a claim to press from a vassal, or personal, claim to a settlement in another faction.
  2. Provide a system for clans to build claims which allow increased internal strife and, expand and increase clan importance within factions.
  3. Seek to provide a backdrop to allow for longer games, spanning generations of characters.
Any feedback at all would be great, I'll fire up a poll for casual readers who don't wish to comment.

This reminds me to CKII, and I believe casus belli would certainly make things slower.

But, this is something of late medieval age, where Nobles and King's wanted to keep a status quo, by not allowing "commoners" to become nobles by conquering something.

Also as any potential conquering faction as Romans, Vikings, Nomads this would go against their politics.

Also for the player this could become a hindrance because if you manage to conquer a castle and it has a claimant within your faction they would have the upper hand in the election.

But don't take me wrong if wars could be divided in scales like in CKII, claims would be useful to make wars between Lord's not only factions, even for Lord's of different factions.

I agree and will go a long way to help with snowballing, I really dislike large amounts of land changing hands so much. Conquest should be a bit more gradual and limiting like with riots and rebellions popping up. Make going to war expensive and where you have to raise levies or call on lances and bannermen to create a army large enough to to wage an effective war.

I like your ideas.
Sadly that looks like a lot of wor to make this happen. hoping at least for feasts to return so the lords have other dutys than campaing in humongus armies and steamrolling the map ;D

I like your ideas.
Sadly that looks like a lot of wor to make this happen. hoping at least for feasts to return so the lords have other dutys than campaing in humongus armies and steamrolling the map ;D

The system is mostly in place already (at least for the War Exhaustion mechanic) since the number of casualties, succesful sieges and raids are already tracked in the diplomacy tab.

I like the idea of War Exhaustion and I feel like it would go a long way to prevent snowballing. As for numbers and mechanics, I would say that casualties / battles should absolutely be counted towards War Exhaustion, otherwise an inferior faction won't be able to win the war at all, since it doesn't have enough men to take and hold enemy settlements against a larger faction (in this case, the inferior faction should be defensive and seek to protect its cities and villages rather than trying to conquer enemy lands).

Another mechanic I feel would greatly benefit the game is Threat, where other factions view a larger / more powerful faction as a threat to their existence and seek to ally each other (or to declare war simultaneously on the larger faction, putting it on the defensive and forcing it to fight on multiple fronts).

Aside from that, I feel like there should be a lot more animosity among clans in the same faction. For example, clans could dispute settlements that are already in their faction among each other given certain requirements, having other clans back their preferred side or just abstain. If the clan claiming ownership of the land feels like it has the upper hand, it could demand the settlement be handed to them or go to war, bringing in the supporters on their side. Otherwise, the king could try to mediate peace by promising future conquered lands, giving away money or just outright supporting one side. If both sides can't come to a solution but also don't want to fight (maybe they feel war would be too costly, or that a stalemate would be more likely), then clans on the same side would gain relations amongst themselves and lose relations with the clans on the other side.

The system is mostly in place already (at least for the War Exhaustion mechanic) since the number of casualties, succesful sieges and raids are already tracked in the diplomacy tab.

I like the idea of War Exhaustion and I feel like it would go a long way to prevent snowballing. As for numbers and mechanics, I would say that casualties / battles should absolutely be counted towards War Exhaustion, otherwise an inferior faction won't be able to win the war at all, since it doesn't have enough men to take and hold enemy settlements against a larger faction (in this case, the inferior faction should be defensive and seek to protect its cities and villages rather than trying to conquer enemy lands).

Another mechanic I feel would greatly benefit the game is Threat, where other factions view a larger / more powerful faction as a threat to their existence and seek to ally each other (or to declare war simultaneously on the larger faction, putting it on the defensive and forcing it to fight on multiple fronts).

Aside from that, I feel like there should be a lot more animosity among clans in the same faction. For example, clans could dispute settlements that are already in their faction among each other given certain requirements, having other clans back their preferred side or just abstain. If the clan claiming ownership of the land feels like it has the upper hand, it could demand the settlement be handed to them or go to war, bringing in the supporters on their side. Otherwise, the king could try to mediate peace by promising future conquered lands, giving away money or just outright supporting one side. If both sides can't come to a solution but also don't want to fight (maybe they feel war would be too costly, or that a stalemate would be more likely), then clans on the same side would gain relations amongst themselves and lose relations with the clans on the other side.

Maybe make it so that raids, casualties etc. factor into a single war exhaustion number

Somebody likes EU too much :razz: The concept WOULD be a nice addition to the game. It would also make sense that the higher the War Exhaustion, the cheaper it is to make peace, which would make it easier for players when fighting a much larger Kingdom. If you can hold out for a while, the political pressure will lead the enemy to value the peace more.

However, a 10 year claim man? That seems way too long for this game

clan vs clan feuds please.

This reminds me to CKII, and I believe casus belli would certainly make things slower.

But, this is something of late medieval age, where Nobles and King's wanted to keep a status quo, by not allowing "commoners" to become nobles by conquering something.

Also as any potential conquering faction as Romans, Vikings, Nomads this would go against their politics.

Also for the player this could become a hindrance because if you manage to conquer a castle and it has a claimant within your faction they would have the upper hand in the election.

Yea I've played ck2 for years alongside Warband so it is inspired.
I would say that with regards to being more a late medieval phenomenom in terms of Casus Belli and claims, absolutely you are probably right however I should point out William the Bastard invaded Egland in 1066 to press his claim that Edward the Confessor had appointed him as heir to the Kingdom of England, and presenting a 'Just' reason for war was a key part in gaining papacy approval and solidifying, rightfully or otherwise, his claim to the throne.

As for other more appropriate Casus Belli for other cultures I left that out of the initial post as to keep the idea concise and directed to the overall systems rather than convolude the post. Imperials should absolutely gain Casus Belli against other Imperial factions and/or reconquest. The Nords (when their added) should get outright conquest reasons for war. However for initial balance (which I have no idea about) I felt limiting the scope would help applying the game practically.

As to the final part about claims becoming a hinderance, that's actually part of the reason for the internal claims to be allowed. Players should have to deal with internal power struggles alongside external and seek to either exploit it for their gain, or fail and potentially see revolt as the only means to further the clan's goals. Its just as much about giving NPC clans teeth to cause internal strife instead of just opposing votes, potentially letting players form personal vendettas against clans, perfect meme potential if not for creating a lively back story.

I suppose the background for tracking background is in place as you said. So yea, I agree with you that battles and casualties could contribute to War Exhaustion, the original idea was to keep it simple and sweet as possible, but if there's already tracking there; a few formulae could be applied to work out an adequete war exhaustion tick.

As for threat I definitely see the appeal and the claim system of keeping a claim for 10 years is a form of that, just simplified. If a faction takes land then the faction that lost it should keep a claim for a while at the least, and if lots of small limited wars take place eventually a faction will accrue Casus Belli against it leading organically to almost consistent wars against the initial agressor. This is in conjunction with the mentality of this suggestion that the ideas should be as simple as possible (If you can keep ideas "simple stupid" they will work much better at practise)

Internal wars between clans in a faction would absolutely be a dream of mine in future, a tad out of scope of this suggestion but the background to that is definitely what I was going for, proper internal intrigue, diplomacy, warring politics :grin:

Somebody likes EU too much :razz: The concept WOULD be a nice addition to the game. It would also make sense that the higher the War Exhaustion, the cheaper it is to make peace, which would make it easier for players when fighting a much larger Kingdom. If you can hold out for a while, the political pressure will lead the enemy to value the peace more.

However, a 10 year claim man? That seems way too long for this game

I wouldn't say so much it should be cheaper to make peace, just that the AI should be pushed towards it. If the 'defender' of the war can punish an enemy for marching into their lands then that would be fantastic application of War Exhaustion. (also aye I like EU4 too :lol:)

As for length of claims, I honestly pulled the numbers from my ass. I reckoned 10 years was a good middle ground between life long dynasty styled political gameplay and more casual burning through the map as quick as allowed. Just came down to personal preference for what I think the game's pace should be.

Just as a last point for any reading, cheers for having a take on the idea, I hope someone is inspired by this to include some ideas in the game or a mod. The idea is based around looking to encourage limited wars between factions. Some would see that as boring and restrictive, but I think Bannerlord would really excel with elongated campaigns.

I love to see a more fleshed our RPG clan-dynastic political game. I almost feel the map is too small. Need more clans and more major factions, not necessarily cultures, but more multiple kingdoms of the same general culture.

One thing I don't like is that if I am playing as say Sturgia and get a Battanian fief, I can't recruit my own cultural troops. Should culture of fiefs change over time? Should you be able to get your own culture troops as well?

Back
Top Bottom