Recent content by Mike Hawk

1. SP Native Realistic Battle Mod

I have to thank you for making this mod, it actually makes Bannerlord playable for me now.
  2. The Game is a Mess

Lord Milky said:
    Narushima said:
    Lord Milky said:
    The video you are referencing is a modern day race horse. Are you honestly saying,  that is an accurate portrayal of the training and temperament of a medieval Destrier?

You cannot use the term , "Medieval sources are far and few between , so let's use 19th century etc..
    They did not have cannons or musket fire in the early period.

That's like saying we can't study lions but let's use cheetahs as a representation of wild cats.

Thoroughbreds (racing horses) are larger than medieval cavalry horses. The horse that collided with the lady had it's leg broken and was later put down.

Honestly, I've only seen one side provide any actual sources for what they claim. All you really have is vagueness and straw men.

So just stop the charade and provide actual proof of what you claim. Not wordplay, not vague accounts of how cavalry charged in the general direction of infantry. Provide proof that cavalry would regularly slam into infantry 3 lines deep.

3 lines deep? I made no mention of said statement. Perhaps you should read the thread more clearly. I have only referenced the battle of Arsuf. Resources for that are readily available. If you have cause to open your mouth, maybe post your own sources instead of being a hypocrite.

This is literally how this discussion started. One guy claiming horses could go through 3 people. What sources should I post that haven't already been posted? It's been demonstrated pretty clearly that horses cannot go through people as the man claimed, and who's opinion you've been defending.

Pretty much every source on cavalry tactics will tell you that cavalry were horrible at frontal charges, and were very rarely used as such. Sometimes they got lucky and would break a badly prepared opponent, but most of the time it ended in disaster.

But you've posted nothing to support what you claim, so I see no reason to debate this with you.
  3. The Game is a Mess

Lord Milky said:
    The video you are referencing is a modern day race horse. Are you honestly saying,  that is an accurate portrayal of the training and temperament of a medieval Destrier?

You cannot use the term , "Medieval sources are far and few between , so let's use 19th century etc..
    They did not have cannons or musket fire in the early period.

That's like saying we can't study lions but let's use cheetahs as a representation of wild cats.

Thoroughbreds (racing horses) are larger than medieval cavalry horses. The horse that collided with the lady had it's leg broken and was later put down.

Honestly, I've only seen one side provide any actual sources for what they claim. All you really have is vagueness and straw men.

So just stop the charade and provide actual proof of what you claim. Not wordplay, not vague accounts of how cavalry charged in the general direction of infantry. Provide proof that cavalry would regularly slam into infantry 3 lines deep.
  4. Mafia III - Release Date: October 7, 2016

Current user review score on metacritic is 3.2. No critic review score yet.

Oh boy...
  5. Cossacks 3 Released!

Are unit commands bugged? Every time I order them to stand their ground they ignore it.
  6. Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

Any good realism mods yet?
  7. Kingdom Come: Deliverance

You can sharpen the sword yourself. That way, when you decide to go on a murdering rampage with it they can simply say "Hey don't look at us, we only shipped blunt swords. The guy made it deadly on his own".
  8. War Thunder, Update 1.97: Swedish Tanks

Bluehawk said:
    Red Navy was trash in WW2, so it'll be interesting to see how they un-nerf history.

Through the miracle of time travel they will never face it's historical opposition. Expect cold war ships to be fighting German pre war ships.
  9. Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

kalarhan said:
    Guray said:
    Can we swim in bannerlord now? if so how is it gonna work with heavy armors,equipments and such?

https://www.quora.com/How-much-did-medieval-suits-of-armor-weigh

A full length mail hauberk with a coif over the head and mail chausses on the legs worn by a knight in the Twelfth or Thirteenth Centuries would have come in at around 16 kilos or 35 lbs

Would extra 16kg stop you from swimming?

Wrong question. The human body is near neutrally buoyant when naked. Armour is not. So it's not just extra 16kg.

Average density of human body = 985 kg/m^3, 945 average maximum with full lungs. Density of water is 1000. Density of armour would be around 6000-8000 (mostly steel, some cloth, some leather).

So 16 kg of armour, if we assume that the average weight of a medieval soldier was around 75kg-80kg, would increase total density of the soldier to about 2000-2600 kg/m^3. This would make him sink like a rock. Literally. Density of rocks is about 2000-2600.
  10. Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

Jhessail said:
    Any minor can do anything. Yes, even build a nuke. The game is a ****ing mess. Italy is strong enough to conquer France, Yugoslavia and Egypt at the same time. Battleplan AI does not realize the army got additional divisions and leaves them inactive until you redo the battleplan. I have no way to gauge how the air campaign is going. Transport planes cannot be used to resupply troops or it's hidden somewhere.

The GUI is abysmal - why can't the tabs expand to full screen? Why does the national focus window not resize/zoom so I could see the whole tree in one glance instead of having to scroll sideways? It's actually very difficult to play historically because each focus takes exactly 70 days and some have ridiculous requirements, like Anschluss and the Molotov-Ribbentrop treaty. The leaders are a mess too because in the government tab the bonuses are quite limited, meaning that you would prefer to switch them out depending on what you research but it costs 150-250 Fuhrer-mana for each switch so it isn't actually feasible. Would be better to have smaller bonuses that are more wider in effect.

As for generals, because a Field Marshall has no limit to the number of divisions they can command and the probability of getting a battle event is dependant on the leader skill level vis-a-vis the opponent, it's just best to have all of your divisions under your best leader and ignore the others. Oh and Rommel is available as a tank theorycrafter when the man never did any theoretical/doctrinal work but Guderian who wrote the ****ing book on tanks isn't? Both are skill 4 leaders as is von Manstein - most German generals seem to have been downgraded one or two skill points, where the generals of minors have gotten some serious upgrades. The Polish army was commanded by skill 4 general, whom I googled - turned out he had an utterly unremarkable WW2 career of leading a cavalry brigade but thanks to the Polish DLC, Pdox made him equal to the best German generals - meaning that since von Rundstedt was demoted to skill 3, the infantry battles are actually quite difficult - since the Polish guy is better, the defenders get the majority of battle events, meaning German advance is slow and tortuous. Oh and another nice piece - Panzergruppe Guderian had orders to push through to Warsaw from the north-west, south of Vistula. Well, he took his sweet time because the AI decided to leave all of his Panzer divisions to guard a 2-province encirclement near Poznan AND decided to cross Vistula from south-to-north, move one province east and then attack Warsaw from the north through ANOTHER river crossing. WHAT THE **** AI?! And micro-managing my divisions is impossible because there is no OOB and no notification of battles ending or units reaching their destination, not to mention the INSANE +50% combat efficiency bonus from the battleplans.

OH yeah and the auto-pause is a ****ing mutilated mess of what it was - before you could individually customize each type of message as either log, pop-up or pause - now you can't do any of that. Pop-up messages are hard coded and while you can make them pause the game, as soon as you click "ok" the game unpauses automatically! WHAT THE **** - when I get a message that national focus has been completed, I need to select a new one you retard game while the game is still paused and oh god try to do it manually if you get focus and research (or multiple researches) happening on the same day because you press space to pause but the other event had popped up and paused the game so you actually unpaused it and now it's running at full speed in the background without you realizing and since both focus and research are counted in individual days - FOR ****S SAKE.

And let's not get in to the ****ing 3D models of units. Tanks are tiny and easily lost in the OH SO PRETTY terrain, the soldier models for infantry are GIGANTIC, it's difficult to see exactly individual provinces because of how the ****ing map rolls along hills and weather effects. I'm so glad I get to listen to rain and see snowfall! Certainly worth losing clarity. Oh yeah and when war starts for good, the map is full of airplanes flying around which is yet again completely useless thing but surely makes my GPU work hard.

Who the **** decided that air units should not have default sizes? I have to manually change each air wing/squadron to a certain size, otherwise I have no idea if I've built enough planes for them or not. Not that it matters because air combat is a ****ing bar on a side-tab with numbers that don't seem to matter - like I have total air supremacy over northern france but that doesn't stop the French planes from flying in western germany because they are two different "air zones" or something.

I haven't even gotten to actual number crunching yet, but just like in Stellaris where dodge/evasion is broken and you can make corvettes that hardly ever get hit, you can make a tank division which is smaller and less supply-hog than an infantry division, with higher soft attack, enough hardness that it takes little damage and has a smaller combat width than an equally powerful infantry division, meaning you can stack at least 4 of them in any battle. Combine that with the braindead battle AI that does not exploit holes in lines, you could just make a few dozen infantry divisions to generally hold the line while your invincible tank divisions destroy everything in their path. How the **** did stuff like this pass through their QA testing AND the semi-public beta?!

So, Stellaris was clearly aimed as the 4X game for people who have never played 4X games and don't really like them, and HoI4 seems to be a war/strategy game for people who don't like war/strategy games.

A lot of the problems you are having with the battle plans is because you don't know how to use them. They do take some time to get used to.

Best advice I can give you is break up your armies into several groups.

For me 2 tank and mech groups and 1 huge infantry group works well. Next, give a single line of attack to each of your tank groups. For encirclements you want to start your offensive line at your front, extend it into enemy territory and then end it again at your front. So Your attack plants will look like giant penises.

For the infantry group make several shallower and wider attack plans and assign divisions to each line by selecting divisions and ctrl+left clicking on the battle plan.

Adjust your battle plans by deselecting all units (so you don't accidentally give them orders) and alt+right click and dragging the arrows and lines.

Once you get the hang of it battle plans get super useful.

I agree with the rest of your assessment though.
  11. Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

Was playing as Germany and had Romania, with 70% support for fascist, with every neighbour, except for SU being fascist and an axis member, decide it'd be a good idea to join the Allies in December of 1940. Brilliant AI.
  12. Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

All right, after playing for a few hours I have to say the base game is pretty ****ty. The AI is ****ed. The German AI decided to invade Sweden through Øresund with 86! divisions and completely failed against 8 allied divisions. They've been doing this for 2 years. They also did this in Denmark, and would still be doing it had I not capture Copenhagen for them as Spain. Meanwhile SU is wrecking them on the Eastern Front.

The balance is all over the place. You can make any minor into a superpower in 5 years, just spam civilian factories then build military ones and trade for resources.

Don't even get me started on plane and tank variants for major nations... or politics... or country names...

As far as potential goes this game has a lot of it. We are going to see some really awesome mods coming out in the near future.
  13. Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

China takes Japan. Fascist Poland in the Allies takes the Soviet union. Radical Yugoslavia takes half of Italy and Bulgaria turns into the Golden Horde.

14. Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

Comrade Temuzu said:
    Supposedly very little is going to be hardcoded in HoI4. Guess we'll see on Monday.

Yeah that's what I've heard as well. If not, well then we'll have to wait another year for the AI to get fixed.
  15. Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

ColonicAcid said:
    For the border gore I present:

EDIT: Oh yeah there's also this gem as well.

Yep that's Poland steamrolling Germany in 1939.

I think I know what the problem is. First terrain doesn't give enough bonuses, so attacking equal or weaker forces is far too easy, even into mountains. Second the AI is far to eager to sacrifice it's troops. Germany will gladly kill 500 000 troops at the Maginot line for no progress. I think both of these will be easy to mod once the game is out.
Back
Top Bottom