Hearts of Iron IV (Release June 6th)

Users who are viewing this thread

Are the Ottoman fun to play?

Edit: there doesn't seem to be a money resource, does that mean i can spam as much tanks/infantry/factory as my population allows?

Edit2: Anyone happy that the game is no longer ''scripted''?
I like how WW2 can either end up COMPLETLY different or not happen at all.

I hope it stay that way.

RabbleKnight said:
there doesn't seem to be a money resource, does that mean i can spam as much tanks/infantry/factory as my population allows?
That's correct, instead you'll have to keep your equipment production up-to-date so the divisions get all their needs. So there is certainly a limit on how many divisions you can have. Pre-war it won't really make a difference, but once you're making losses. The equipment becomes a issue as your factories struggle to keep up with the demand. (This is for the major part a case for the minor-factions)

RabbleKnight said:
Edit2: Anyone happy that the game is no longer ''scripted''?
I like how WW2 can either end up COMPLETLY different or not happen at all.
On the one way, yes. Sure, seeing the AI do unexpected things is a nice change to the always the same road. However though, I fear this came at the cost of the AI doing ridiculous and unrealistic actions like that were mentioned before (Chinese landing in the Crimea etc)

It also sometimes pays to keep up the (one factory) production of old equipment as you can forbid certain types of troops to use certain stuff. Like forbidding garrisons from using the newest and greatest to make your elite breakthrough units won't have trouble finding replacements for their outdated crap.

RabbleKnight said:
I mean, can i survive as Iran or the Saudis.

Can they conquer things?
Yeah you can survive as them if you don't get yourself in on the losing side of the war. Haven't played as either of them. But I guess if you play your cards right. It is possible to conquer other nations as them. Like Yemen, Oman, Iran etc.

Can anyone explain me the air wings? Like, it says ive got all these air wings on reserve, but i gave lots of orders to air superiority and etc to most.... I dont know if the Air wing is the one in the right tab when you open it or on the left tab......

Anyway summing up my UK iron man playthrough, am on 1940 and things are happening basically like in HOI3 and real life. Germany took Poland and now Belgium and Netherlands and France is falling without my help.

My first plan to invade Italian north africa failed, then i commanded my troops manuall and encircled Tobruk and won. After the initial battles it was a quick run to Tripoli. One cool thing was that even Germany had a few troops in north africa. In contrast the battle for East Africa is certainly very hard now, though ive finally got the upper hand. THe italians even managed to connect north africa and east africa for a few months, but the south african expeditionary force saved my ass, now they are on the retreat there too.

On the naval side Italy's surface ships are mostly destroyed in two large battles near Tunis, think i destroyed more than 70 italian ships while losing 1 carrier and 2 or 3 destroyers. The main german surface navy hasnt been sighed yet.

Now what i really like about this game:

Production, much better than in HOI 3. Building a ship doesnt gets in the way of building a tank or recruiting a unit. Research and national focus are great, and the first is much better than in HOI 3. You dont research 4 stuff for a light tank or a medium tank, you just research a cromwell, a crusader, and etc. Same thing with ships. Construction is much better too and quite cool actually, and the military/civilian factories and shipyards thing is awesome.

The plan designer is good, but could be much better. The front lines in specific you should be able to tell a unit to be on the specific spot on the frontline that you want even if it is deployed to the plan already. Now the units always return to the spot on the frontline the AI gave to them.

What i dont like: The nato counter without the sprites is just too damn small, so small that i prefer to play with the 3d units. What i would prefer to play is just with the HOI 3 counters.

Map graphics feel too arcadey for me, and i'd like to have a clean map toggle like the diplomatic map and etc (without the country colours)

Really miss the Corps level. I dont like to click in an army and see a giant list of divisions.... Would prefer a small list of Corps even if its purely optional and gives no bonuses or doesnt needs a general either.

I'm playing a game as Iran right now, took over Iraq and planned on taking Afghanistan, but got cucked by the UK when they started fabricating a claim on me. They havent acted on it yet though, so I'll just wait for the Allies and Soviets to go to war until making my moves.

Any minor can do anything. Yes, even build a nuke. The game is a ****ing mess. Italy is strong enough to conquer France, Yugoslavia and Egypt at the same time. Battleplan AI does not realize the army got additional divisions and leaves them inactive until you redo the battleplan. I have no way to gauge how the air campaign is going. Transport planes cannot be used to resupply troops or it's hidden somewhere.

The GUI is abysmal - why can't the tabs expand to full screen? Why does the national focus window not resize/zoom so I could see the whole tree in one glance instead of having to scroll sideways? It's actually very difficult to play historically because each focus takes exactly 70 days and some have ridiculous requirements, like Anschluss and the Molotov-Ribbentrop treaty. The leaders are a mess too because in the government tab the bonuses are quite limited, meaning that you would prefer to switch them out depending on what you research but it costs 150-250 Fuhrer-mana for each switch so it isn't actually feasible. Would be better to have smaller bonuses that are more wider in effect.

As for generals, because a Field Marshall has no limit to the number of divisions they can command and the probability of getting a battle event is dependant on the leader skill level vis-a-vis the opponent, it's just best to have all of your divisions under your best leader and ignore the others. Oh and Rommel is available as a tank theorycrafter when the man never did any theoretical/doctrinal work but Guderian who wrote the ****ing book on tanks isn't? Both are skill 4 leaders as is von Manstein - most German generals seem to have been downgraded one or two skill points, where the generals of minors have gotten some serious upgrades. The Polish army was commanded by skill 4 general, whom I googled - turned out he had an utterly unremarkable WW2 career of leading a cavalry brigade but thanks to the Polish DLC, Pdox made him equal to the best German generals - meaning that since von Rundstedt was demoted to skill 3, the infantry battles are actually quite difficult - since the Polish guy is better, the defenders get the majority of battle events, meaning German advance is slow and tortuous. Oh and another nice piece - Panzergruppe Guderian had orders to push through to Warsaw from the north-west, south of Vistula. Well, he took his sweet time because the AI decided to leave all of his Panzer divisions to guard a 2-province encirclement near Poznan AND decided to cross Vistula from south-to-north, move one province east and then attack Warsaw from the north through ANOTHER river crossing. WHAT THE **** AI?! And micro-managing my divisions is impossible because there is no OOB and no notification of battles ending or units reaching their destination, not to mention the INSANE +50% combat efficiency bonus from the battleplans.

OH yeah and the auto-pause is a ****ing mutilated mess of what it was - before you could individually customize each type of message as either log, pop-up or pause - now you can't do any of that. Pop-up messages are hard coded and while you can make them pause the game, as soon as you click "ok" the game unpauses automatically! WHAT THE **** - when I get a message that national focus has been completed, I need to select a new one you retard game while the game is still paused and oh god try to do it manually if you get focus and research (or multiple researches) happening on the same day because you press space to pause but the other event had popped up and paused the game so you actually unpaused it and now it's running at full speed in the background without you realizing and since both focus and research are counted in individual days - FOR ****S SAKE.

And let's not get in to the ****ing 3D models of units. Tanks are tiny and easily lost in the OH SO PRETTY terrain, the soldier models for infantry are GIGANTIC, it's difficult to see exactly individual provinces because of how the ****ing map rolls along hills and weather effects. I'm so glad I get to listen to rain and see snowfall! Certainly worth losing clarity. Oh yeah and when war starts for good, the map is full of airplanes flying around which is yet again completely useless thing but surely makes my GPU work hard.

Who the **** decided that air units should not have default sizes? I have to manually change each air wing/squadron to a certain size, otherwise I have no idea if I've built enough planes for them or not. Not that it matters because air combat is a ****ing bar on a side-tab with numbers that don't seem to matter - like I have total air supremacy over northern france but that doesn't stop the French planes from flying in western germany because they are two different "air zones" or something.

I haven't even gotten to actual number crunching yet, but just like in Stellaris where dodge/evasion is broken and you can make corvettes that hardly ever get hit, you can make a tank division which is smaller and less supply-hog than an infantry division, with higher soft attack, enough hardness that it takes little damage and has a smaller combat width than an equally powerful infantry division, meaning you can stack at least 4 of them in any battle. Combine that with the braindead battle AI that does not exploit holes in lines, you could just make a few dozen infantry divisions to generally hold the line while your invincible tank divisions destroy everything in their path. How the **** did stuff like this pass through their QA testing AND the semi-public beta?!

So, Stellaris was clearly aimed as the 4X game for people who have never played 4X games and don't really like them, and HoI4 seems to be a war/strategy game for people who don't like war/strategy games.

Geez, formatting Jhes.
Regarding the inactive divisions and having to remake the plan, not true. You can just add them to the existing one with ctrl+left click.

Had to push myself there to read that massive block. :razz:

But I completely agree with the mentioned flaws. The balancing is also just completely ****ed. I've played various games so far and each and every time. Rep Spain wins the Civil war and China destroys Japan on the mainland. Haven't had one single game yet in which it actually went a historical direction. Co-ping historical events with a national focus system is just plain silly. It obviously doesn't work at all.

Wellenbrecher said:
Geez, formatting Jhes.
Regarding the inactive divisions and having to remake the plan, not true. You can just add them to the existing one with ctrl+left click.
Fixed the formatting. And I really shouldn't need to press ctrl+left click - if a division is added to an army, it should automatically participate in the battle plan.

I think that may be an unfortunate side effect caused by the player being able to override battle-plan AI decisions ad-hoc with the AI still continuing to work with it and because of how a single army can be active in multiple separate battle-plans.
That latter bit really defeats the bloody point of having them in the first place though. Like you said, why should I have multiple not as good comamnders when I can have one god-like Field Marshall in charge of four battle plans/fronts at the same time.

Oh well, I can keep on playing HoI3. I just hope that the three guys mostly working on my favourite mod (DWI) are not lured over to HOI4. That would suck.

I got spanked so bad. I am Communist Iran and i conquered Iraq and Afghanistan.
I sent all my troops to create a defensive line to stop the Italian blitzkrieg thru Arabia.

All things were going well until Fascist Spain and Germany landed a huge army on my southern shore, lets just say I'm fighting tooth and nail to keep the homeland.

Italy is ****ing beast in HoI 4.

When winter first falls, it hits all the provinces above the 49th parallel between America and Canada first, creating SNL-levels of cringe on the map for a brief period every year.

Was playing as Germany and had Romania, with 70% support for fascist, with every neighbour, except for SU being fascist and an axis member, decide it'd be a good idea to join the Allies in December of 1940. Brilliant AI.

Narushima said:
Was playing as Germany and had Romania, with 70% support for fascist, with every neighbour, except for SU being fascist and an axis member, decide it'd be a good idea to join the Allies in December of 1940. Brilliant AI.
Hehe yeah... :lol:

Had that **** with my campaign while playing as the Soviets, Germany was gone Japan was forced back to their homeland. And Italy was only just hanging on.
In other words, the Axis was about to fall. But who would have guessed? At this point Turkey and Peru join the Axis!

Back
Top Bottom