Recent content by iffy

1. Becoming the KING!

To officially become king you need to leave your faction and have land.  I've become king twice, but I've never joined a faction.  If you have a castle it will be official, if you just have a town I don't know what will happen. 

Beware, when you attack a faction and you aren't part of a faction you will probably get attacked by A LOT of men.  There are many strategies for making this work, but it's a tough road.  Read up and if you get stuck post again.
  2. Dye Works most profitable in Calradia?

I have a dieworks in every city and I normally get about 10K/week.  It's simple and mindless.  Sometimes when you stock your own place you are better off buying and selling yourself.
  3. Haralus is being VERY GREEDY

I had Sanjar Kahn and King Ragnar join my faction in my game.  (pure native - no mods)

Their factions are both alive still too.  (though they are hanging on for dear life)
  4. A little garison advice please!

As far as recruiting, try to recruit from the same villages all the time.  If there are bandits there, kill them and take nothing.  This should give +8 relations each time.  I have a village that gives me up to 25 or so men if it's been a while since I recruited.  (I have 30+ relations with them).  The ones I've killed bandits for just once will give me up to 10 recruits. 

You should be able to keep your businesses, you just have to stop being at war with whichever faction owns that city at the moment.

If you rebel you become your own faction and war is reset.
  5. Best troops for a non-strategist?

obscure said:
    Swadian Knights.
    (You just need to get out of their way because they won't let you kill anything yourself)

This is too true! ha ha.
  6. Recruiting efficiently

Rogue Zombie said:
    So what happened is I had beat the Rhodooks down to just one castle.

I understand now.  I thought you meant the castle itself (without lords) had that many.  I know what you mean about the last castle/city.  It's a PAIN!
  7. Advice for a new King?

I don't agree with everything listed above.  There will come a time (most likely) when you are captured.  It will be very difficult to get by if your character has just leadership. 
    I personally think the best route is to get about 15 charisma, and 5 points in leadership.  Then read The Life of Alexsus the Great.  (leadership will go to 6).
    Having personal skill in surgery/pathfinding helps me a lot. 
    Prisoner management is worth a lot of money, but I have a silk factory in every city in Calrandia and I make about 10K dinars/ week.  My character is level 30 now and she has 815K dinars. ( I do have PM level 3..)
    I've noticed that my character is about 8-10 levels higher than my companions.  There is no doubt that I'm helping my companions level (I have level 10 trainer). 
    My char has 10 in surgery/pathfinding/trainer.  I have decent numbers in tactics/wound treatment so I'm not toast if I get into a fight with no companion.  I never give my companions feifs or make them into tanks.
    I give 2-3 characters "doctor skills" as if a doctor is knocked out you lose that skill.  I have one with high trade, and one with high agility (for looting.... after battles)
    I play on 100% native. (no mods)  My first char is a king who was never part of any faction and he controls about 1/2 the map.  (the other 1/2 is Vegirs and Sarrinids...  Sanjar Kahn and King Ragnar are part of my faction now even though their factions still exist...)

8. Recruiting efficiently

w00d said:
    The computer, in less than a day can refill its troops from 200 to 1200 within a day, maybe 2.

Are you playing native? I've never seen a city or castle with more than about 450 guys.  I've also never seen a city/castle re-build more than a spattering of knights in a few days.  Are you exaggerating? :?:
  9. right to rule

Right to rule:

Talk to your companions, ask what they think of you, tell them you want to be king/queen.  Send them off to talk to people.  Each companion can get you 3 right to rule.

Day 100 is really early to start your own kingdom.  I'm at day 450 and I just started mine.  You have to be able to train troops quickly and lead at least 100 people.  60 is a good size army for day 100.  It's just early to start your own kingdom.  I think you should wait until you are level 28 at least.  Try and kill bandits attacking villages to get good relations.  Then you can recruit fast.  Swadians are an excellent choice for your troops.  If Swadia is about to get knocked out you're in luck because if you go to war with Swadia and you have a bunch of knights you have to be very careful because they will have a terrible morale modifier.  Post more if you want more info.

Just FYI I've started my own faction twice and I've never been a vassal.  Most recently I was at war with the Rhoduks and when they asked for peace I was at war with just them.  My max army is about 110.  I try to separate them and fight them 200 at a time or so.  Each time you beat them you will have an easier time doing it again as their army size goes up fast, but they are low level troops.
  10. It seems I am not progressing at all...

Taking a city is a matter of attacking over and over again.  It's very difficult to take a city in one attempt. 

I play on normal difficulty and it was very difficult to finally get a foothold and keep a castle.  I must have attacked it 4 times before I actually took it.  I lost it 3 times, but every time it was easier to take because when it gets re-stocked the troops are low level.  The same goes with the faction armies.  At one time I lost 100 (mine) vs. 250 theirs.  After I had given them a couple beat-downs I was able to win 100 vs. 350.  I was fighting a bunch of farmers when I fought them the 2nd time.

The castle defender numbers were:

first attack (it took 4 assaults before taking the castle):    ~130  (difficult to take, lots of sharpshooters)
    second attack:  ~170  (easy to take, lots of low level guys)
    third attack:~220  (easy to take, lots of low level guys)

Another thing to note is that some troops will die much more often than others.  I had about 90 slaver chiefs when I was trying to take that castle the first time.  They died like flies even with Surgery 12.  Now I'm using Swadian knights with the same surgery skill and they rarely die, they get knocked unconscious instead. :smile:

11. The next step...what to do?

I would expand into Khergit territory.  They stink at castle/city defense, but are decent on the open plains.  Beat them up with your knights.  :wink:
  12. The best

Infantry:  Nord Huscarls
    Archers:  Rhoduk sharpshooters
    Cavalry:  Swadian Knights or Mamlukes (verdict isn't out on this one)
  13. Why would I want to give away a Fief?

Dohati said:
    I just wish I knew how to take away their fiefs. :sad:

If you are king you can indict them for treason and strip them of their feifs..

I don't want more than 1 feif because I have to pay for troops.
  14. The never ending war?

Fearghus The Killer said:
    If the faction doesn't have property like he claims then that faction is deemed "defeated" and any vassal that's left is supposed to leave the game.  (Remember he said it's been a year)

Unfortunatley, even if you take the last bit of land the faction owns they are not deemed "defeated".  Usually it happens within a few weeks, but sometimes (like in this case), it may not happen for a LOOOONG time.  :???:
  15. Game progression stalled

Velax said:
    Wait until the siege battle actually starts, then join, Hopefully the allied lords will join in then. If not, wait and see if they move toward the battle on their own before you join.

Not sure where else you're going wrong. When I was Sarranid marshal, wars lasted ages, so we could easily take a bunch of fiefs before it ended. Which kingdom are you with?

Joining a battle against 1400 is dangerous (in a castle or city).  Make sure that if you do this you stay alive during the first wave.  If things are going poorly get out of there!  (Once you kill about 400 guys you'll get an opportunity)  If you lose a battle while in a castle city and you're out of men you'll be captured and that's just ugly.
Back
Top Bottom