Voice acting is useless, dynamic lord relations are

Users who are viewing this thread

Goyyyio

Sergeant
Sorry, I understand this team wants to add voice acting into the game, I agree it adds to the experience, but right now the way we relate to NPCs is a void, what's the use of putting all your work into lip syncing if the lines will be so limited and boring. I prefer hard worked relations over 3 lines of dialog.

I feel like coding NPC relations to be more useful/immersive/worthwhile would be done by coders, while lipsyncing animations would be done by 3D animation artists. So I don't think it would be an issue or cause the rest of the game to be slowed down.

What IS an issue is TW's lack of communication after nearly 3 months of no substantial game improvements. That's where our complaints should be targeted.

I'm totally against 'voice acting'. Except for a few lines like it was in warband. I WILL DRINK FROM YER SKULL being one of them.
I'm not against good and meaningful dialogue, which we currently don't have...
And this is my quick question, where would the dialogue go?

IDK what do they want to add voice acting for. It is not the type of the game which needs VA, there are few generic sentences in general, like "Hi", "Bye", "Prepare to die" etc.

The fact that main character has a voice is a bit irritating in combat "Archers, go", "horse, go!", "Horse bowmen! go!", "Infantry! Shield wal- go!!"

We all know how great Voice Acting were for the main protagonist in Fallout 4.. right? RIGHT?
:roll:
Yes.
No. (Yes)
Yes. (Sarcastic)

But in all seriousness TW are only planning on voicing greetings and the fairly linear main quest, not full voice acting, and not the player, so it won't restrict the variety possible in the dialog (which either way would be fairly limited as this game is only an RPG-lite).

I don't think it's going to take much time away from developing the rest of the game (since it would mainly be animators and voice actors implementing it, not coders). IMO what people should really be complaining about is the radio silence from TW+the lack of significant improvement to the game in the last 3 months.

Yeah, i know... I remember gettin to the point in the campaign when the conversation was voiced... but it was a long time ago and I find it very weird.
About radio silence, i guess it's their standard now, sadly...

Lines for some stale linear plotline arent all that interesting especially after youve heard it once or twice

Better is the old classic RPG lines like a Royal Greeting when addressing your advisors: "Yes Sire?", "Your wish is my command" -kinda stuff.
When you are a lowly nothing having the opposite -like voices of disdain but keep it general and reactionary to the player. Also audio effects like a Horn blast when you are the lord of a Town/Castle and you are entering with maybe some crowd/guards banter "Its the King!" would give a better sense of ownership.
Of course "Less Talking, More Raiding" is immortalized -theres a reason for that ..

Sorry, I understand this team wants to add voice acting into the game, I agree it adds to the experience, but right now the way we relate to NPCs is a void, what's the use of putting all your work into lip syncing if the lines will be so limited and boring. I prefer hard worked relations over 3 lines of dialog.
I totally agree. Aside from the main quest its not desired and bad for mods with extra dialogue. Besides there is a mod that adds text to speech to almost every line in the game modded or vanilla. The mod has been around since early access and has progressed to the point of allowing the player to set different text to speech voices from Windows to each culture to act as accents. This serves the purpose of voicing dialogue without wasting development time on voice acting every line in the game only to limit the lines in the game and conflict with mods.

Its entirely possible that modders can set up voice over projects in the future to be added in the game. This might mean that there would even be more voice actors than Taleworlds can assemble while rushing to complete this game. Each really important character like the 8 rulers could have a specific voice rather than just hiring a few actors that try to cover every character only for us to constantly here the same voices repeatedly just like it was text to speech.

Last edited:
Not one npc's stands out to me not one, i still don't know all the leaders of the kingdoms . Relationships have no impact ,that's the way it seems. Considering that character interactions is as big a point as battles you think TW would put some time and more effort into this part of the game. If they did the world would feel more alive and active. At the moment npc interaction is relationships are so boring and flat. i don't think voice acting would fix the issue.

There's one small complication that the voice actors would need to deal with: first they need dialog to voice. So far, there isn't much. Adding another 50 lines of dialog would do far more for the game than voice acting.

I'm reminded of the changes between Morrowind and Oblivion in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series. Morrowind had literally thousands of lines of dialog, and you could often find newly available lines from NPCs you had previously talked to as you unlocked those lines through quests or other dialog. Many of the NPCs had a dozen or more topics (not all active at the start), and most of those led to further dialog. There was a SMALL list of voiced lines, primarily greetings and taunts, which was sufficient to provide a bit of flavor without the monumental overhead which full voice acting would have required.

In contrast, Oblivion went with fully voiced dialog, which restricted the number of lines to about a tenth (or less) of Morrowind's list (and cost a lot more). Most Oblivion NPCs had only 3-4 lines, and were easily "tapped out" after the first meeting. Worse, they used the same handful of voice actors for everything, so one actor would voice ALL of the dialog for that sex of 2 different races. Then there were the odd cases where the game pulled dialog from two different actors for the same NPC, so their voice would switch from one to the other in mid-conversation.

TW, PLEASE don't do this.

Adding another 50 lines of dialog would do far more for the game than voice acting.
Agreed.

TW, PLEASE don't do this.
Agreed².

This is also part of my gripe with the so called "main quest"... You put a story, voiced characters, epic-wannabe scenes, and then all you have is a shallow shell of adventure...
Let the epicness happen naturally with a good foundation (more diplomacy + better dialogues) for god's sake!
A story that is MY character story is far better than a premade lame-ass one...
I just can't understand why this game need these things (voiced dialogue, premade story)

Back
Top Bottom