Heir Skills, Leveling, and Experience

Users who are viewing this thread

DrDragonlance

Sergeant
I am currently doing a long playthrough in which I will be going from myself to my Grandson when I die.

Obviously people are interested in leveling up Heirs. I have found it is actually pretty easy and does not take long.

This is my main character, my son, and grandson when the grandson turned 18.

I had spent some time getting my son leveled up to be a Governor. It takes very little time to level up Steward. When you are just starting a character you are poor and are Clan Level 1. For any Heir, you will probably be Clan Level 6. As such, you get a huge amount of XP for being the Quarter Master since the party size is so large and it is so easy to have a food variety.

Here are the the screen shots from when I made my Grandson the Quarter Master. The first pic is after one day, the second pic is the second day of being the Quarter Master.

If you have a battle and have a lot of injured troops, Medicine will level up in a similar fashion. I think my son hit around 50 Medicine after having my party heal in a town from one large battle. Obviously, the longest one to level up is still Engineer. If TW does swap it to be possible to gain Engineer while using siege equipment then it will level up faster.

Also, while getting my son all his skills, I kept dropping him off to produce grandchildren. He ended up getting his wife pregnant 6 times. So it was very easy to get him skills to be useful as a Governor while still campaigning.

My current plan is to level up my Grandson until I either day or the woman I want him to marry turns 18.

I believe one of the keys to a fast level up for any future Heir will be Smithing. Unlocking most of the recipes on your first character allows any other character to easily craft high XP weapons and rapidly level up Smithing. I ended up creating over a 100 Fine Steel and Thamaskene Steel so my Heir can craft high end weapons and smelt them to rapidly gain XP.

I will post more as I play through and the Heir gains Skills.

I am currently doing a long playthrough in which I will be going from myself to my Grandson when I die.

Obviously people are interested in leveling up Heirs. I have found it is actually pretty easy and does not take long.

This is my main character, my son, and grandson when the grandson turned 18.

I had spent some time getting my son leveled up to be a Governor. It takes very little time to level up Steward. When you are just starting a character you are poor and are Clan Level 1. For any Heir, you will probably be Clan Level 6. As such, you get a huge amount of XP for being the Quarter Master since the party size is so large and it is so easy to have a food variety.

Here are the the screen shots from when I made my Grandson the Quarter Master. The first pic is after one day, the second pic is the second day of being the Quarter Master.

If you have a battle and have a lot of injured troops, Medicine will level up in a similar fashion. I think my son hit around 50 Medicine after having my party heal in a town from one large battle. Obviously, the longest one to level up is still Engineer. If TW does swap it to be possible to gain Engineer while using siege equipment then it will level up faster.

Also, while getting my son all his skills, I kept dropping him off to produce grandchildren. He ended up getting his wife pregnant 6 times. So it was very easy to get him skills to be useful as a Governor while still campaigning.

My current plan is to level up my Grandson until I either day or the woman I want him to marry turns 18.

I believe one of the keys to a fast level up for any future Heir will be Smithing. Unlocking most of the recipes on your first character allows any other character to easily craft high XP weapons and rapidly level up Smithing. I ended up creating over a 100 Fine Steel and Thamaskene Steel so my Heir can craft high end weapons and smelt them to rapidly gain XP.

I will post more as I play through and the Heir gains Skills.
they did reduce the xp from smithing a ton in 1.7 so it is not as easy. I still think the easiest way to level characters will be steward since its passive and at later tiers it doesnt take long.

Early game, trade caravans are an excellent leveller for family - and trade is handy for governors later on, and contains good leader perks too. But later on they die too quickly, so I tend to put them in parties to keep going with steward. Once they're in the hundreds, they can move to my party.

I also find equipping them with a crossbow on horse tends to level those two skills really fast if they're in armies with you. Just park them behind your line and they level quite fast. Charm used to level really quickly just leaving them in cities, but doesn't seem to go as quick now. Probably because Charm has all of a sudden gotten some great perks.

Early game, trade caravans are an excellent leveller for family - and trade is handy for governors later on, and contains good leader perks too.
Hmm,
must admit that I struggle to see any useful leader perks in the trade tree; do you have something specific in mind? Trade does not work for party leaders.

Hmm,
must admit that I struggle to see any useful leader perks in the trade tree; do you have something specific in mind? Trade does not work for party leaders.

The whole tree has great value, to my mind, in making useful well rounded characters that ad value to your clan, rather than drain it - more so than the fighting perks for family members who might be party leaders, or governors. The cost reductions for wages and recruitment as well as the governor perks are far more helpful than being good with a sword.

But combine this with how easy it is for family members to level up other skills at the same time - like medicine, scouting, leadership and fighting skills, it makes trade caravans a legitimately helpful way to level your kids up. It's set and forget levelling.

In the trade skill?

The good ones:
Level 100 trade perks give passive income when caravans/villagers enter governed towns.
Level 125 perks give passive renown daily ( - more for you than your family - but still one of the most handy perks in the game!)
Level 150 perks halve party wages while they're waiting in a town - that 3000 gold party will cost 1500 while they sort their business out.
Level 125 insures your caravans or workshops against loss
Level 225 perks significantly reduce the cost of party leader recruiting mercenary troops and reduces the cost of caravan guards

Then the perks get OP - although mostly for you, not for your parties.
Level 250 and you start earning interest on your money = 1000 free gold, every day, for nothing.
Level 275 gives a prosperity buff every day for governors
Level 300 is god mode for the game

But like I said... when they're leading a caravan, as well as trade, they also level up scouting, leadership, medicine, and the fighting skills.

The good ones:
Level 100 trade perks give passive income when caravans/villagers enter governed towns.
Level 125 perks give passive renown daily ( - more for you than your family - but still one of the most handy perks in the game!)
Level 150 perks halve party wages while they're waiting in a town - that 3000 gold party will cost 1500 while they sort their business out.
Level 125 insures your caravans or workshops against loss
Level 225 perks significantly reduce the cost of party leader recruiting mercenary troops and reduces the cost of caravan guards

Then the perks get OP - although mostly for you, not for your parties.
Level 250 and you start earning interest on your money = 1000 free gold, every day, for nothing.
Level 275 gives a prosperity buff every day for governors
Level 300 is god mode for the game

But like I said... when they're leading a caravan, as well as trade, they also level up scouting, leadership, medicine, and the fighting skills.
These are not actual npc partyleader skills.

The only one that is relevant is the lvl 150 one and it is hardly worth investing in trade for.

Its not really true either that the fighting skills are unimportant for governors. Stacking garrison cost reducing skills and security modifiers can be incredibly powerful. E.g. I have left my brother in change of my capital Marunath and I only pay 230 for a garrison large enough to provide a +3 security drift at 100 security.

Last edited:
Early game, trade caravans are an excellent leveller for family
Early game? 1 you have at most three family members 2 they're you best captains 3 making them take turns as steward with food variety (only you can do it) will do more for getting them ready for party leaders 4 making sure they shoot form horse back is the way to get extra FP so they can learn skills in the first place 5 blink and eye and early game is over, it's war war war!

Early game? 1 you have at most three family members 2 they're you best captains 3 making them take turns as steward with food variety (only you can do it) will do more for getting them ready for party leaders 4 making sure they shoot form horse back is the way to get extra FP so they can learn skills in the first place 5 blink and eye and early game is over, it's war war war!
Ha, 4 blinks at the most!

Apart from that, it be true.

Arguing for improving trade on NPCs to get perks that does not work for NPCs is hardly a matter of personal preferences.

Oh I see. You're one of those people.

Younger brother, sister, brother's wives... all need levelling. That's 4 people. That's 4 caravans. The rest is subjective.

Last edited:
Younger brother, sister, brother's wives... all need levelling.
1 They actually don't need leveling unless you played badly and took bad spouses on purpose and if you wan anymore level on them you better make sure they landing ranged attack constantly because they're level is high already. If you mean your younger sister THAT IS NOT EARLY GAME and she develops much better if micro her in battle, make her do passive riles you want on her and ssuch.

You gave bad advice, you didn't read the trade perks, you can put that in your sig smarty pants.

Back
Top Bottom