My Gut Reaction to 1.6.0

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
It's actually not what is in the patch.... it's what is not there.... still .......

There are so many of the community who, like me, aren't even going to play another damn minute of Bannerlord until:

1) Sieges are working

2) There is some sort of functioning diplomacy with a tiny bit of depth

3) There's a far wider variety of scenes (with functionality)

As a role-player, I find it utterly astounding and staggering that we still only have one single tavern scene per culture!

There should be two or three per TOWN! ... Never mind one per damn culture!

(For many, that's just a silly + small thing. But it's really not... it's indicative of so much more that has been thoroughly neglected)

Sorry, but this is just my astounded and disappointed reaction to realising that 1.6.0 is just another incremental patch! ... and I'm a British guy who usually doesn't lose his cool as well!

sorry @mexxico! (I can see you're viewing this thread now) .... I just want this game to be what it really should be )

at least we will have war declaration reasons in 1.6.1 - that is a start.

Last edited:
I wonder if they'll dare to release the game before making all locations unique. I have a strong feeling that they will though.

Yeah, I know. I wonder too. I mean why fight for a castle? - when there's almost nothing to do with it other than put a few archers on the walls and earn a couple of hundred gold from it's lifeless, boring villages?

Last edited:
Before completely dismissing the patch try it out. So far just starting the game gives me a good feeling, there don't seem to be any more menu lags, you can see the main production of villages which is really underrated and cool, there's a button that lets your upgrade your troops easier with less clicks which looks lovely. It's the little things that count for the general feel of the game.

Yeah, I know. I wonder too. I mean why fight for a castle? - when there's almost nothing to do with it other than put a few archers on the walls and earn a couple of hundred gold from it's lifeless, boring villages?
The game lacks immersion, it's extremely obvious. Not sure TWs actually understands how boring this game is.

I will copy what I posted in the 1.6.0 Patch Notes thread:

We need more significant updates to the gameplay and immersion in Bannerlord.
  • Improve AI in siege and field battles.
  • Improve the performance of spears in combat.
  • Improve unit collision and make formations really useful and functional.
  • Improve the performance of units with siege weapons and make them able to climb ladders and siege towers properly.
  • Rebalance the cost and benefit of all items in the game, correcting existing inconsistencies and exorbitant prices.
  • Make religions play an important role in gameplay, creating new ways to reach power and influence people.
  • Make minor factions smart and functional, bringing new mechanics and the possibility to join them.
  • Possibility to create feasts and other options related to lords, such as intrigues, romances, sabotage and assassination.
  • Possibility to enlist as a regular soldier and ascending in the military career (Freelancer Mod).

Yes, agree. But also no. I want those things but are still content with the recent update. A lot of QOL improvements add to inproved gameplay. It wouldnt make sense introducing new features when the rest is dong.

No problem. I understand.

About war reasons, I cannot guarentee it to be in 1.6.1 because multiple departments are working on this. I hope it will be ready. Its still not a game changer feature. Mostly cosmetic as explained before.

True. I know. But I think this was also quite cosmetic back in Warband, right? :smile:

The more things we can have in Bannerlord that we used to have in Warband, the better.

• Improve the performance of units with siege weapons and make them able to climb ladders and siege towers properly.
  • Rebalance the cost and benefit of all items in the game, correcting existing inconsistencies and exorbitant prices.
  • Make religions play an important role in gameplay, creating new ways to reach power and influence people.
  • Make minor factions smart and functional, bringing new mechanics and the possibility to join them.
  • Possibility to create feasts and other options related to lords, such as intrigues, romances, sabotage and assassination.
  • Possibility to enlist as a regular soldier and ascending in the military career (Freelancer Mod).
If they add all this (with the exception to religions) I'd be back playing in no time. But sadly they won't or if they add something it will be in the most minimal and least functional way possible.

QoL **** is nice and all but the game still lacks anything to bring me back. It's still fundamentally boring and soulless. Maybe the QoL will make it slightly less frustrating on top of the boring and soulless but that's still leaving it boring and soulless.

QoL **** is nice and all but the game still lacks anything to bring me back. It's still fundamentally boring and soulless. Maybe the QoL will make it slightly less frustrating on top of the boring and soulless but that's still leaving it boring and soulless.

Yes, exactly. I mean, I know they intend to add significant content ...... however, I certainly won't be putting more hours into the game until they do.

Last edited:
I liked the update, got some QoL stuff in there, and what seems to be a nice step in the right direction for modding. It's overall a solid 7 for me. I wasn't planning on it to be the holy grail of updates. You can limit your disappointment by having realistic expectations. Before someone quotes me, granted yes it's taking longer than usual to address the issues mentioned above, and implementing other features that are definitely more important than say, revising culture bonuses. I genuinely wish they would stop beating around the bush. That's all on that, there's no point in going any further.

As for the Elephant stuff. That's kinda.. uhhh. Yeah, would be nice to hear some input from them on that, and why they're doing that. I don't like the concept of DLC for this game yet even if I wouldn't buy it. Either way, popcorn worthy..

Aside from that, time to wait a few days (or more) for mods to update and what not. Haven't played BL in a while, would actually like to. Until then, I'll just play two of my favorite mods on Warband. Prophesy of Pendor and Perisno.

Last edited:
Before completely dismissing the patch try it out. So far just starting the game gives me a good feeling, there don't seem to be any more menu lags, you can see the main production of villages which is really underrated and cool, there's a button that lets your upgrade your troops easier with less clicks which looks lovely. It's the little things that count for the general feel of the game.
After the confirmation of not having the terrain system and keep battles, I kept my expectations very low for this patch (save for the modding changes!). Still, I sympathize with almost everyone here about the game, it has no charm to it. The things you pointed out aren't meaningful enough for starting a new campaign, especially since these were already available through mods (not trying to say the implementation isn't fantastic as a base game function). Basically, QoL changes are always welcome and should be met with praise, however, as OP says, there is really nothing content-wise to warrant a playthrough of more of the same empty boring Calradia that we have right now.

After the confirmation of not having the terrain system and keep battles, I kept my expectations very low for this patch (save for the modding changes!). Still, I sympathize with almost everyone here about the game, it has no charm to it. The things you pointed out aren't meaningful enough for starting a new campaign, especially since these were already available through mods (not trying to say the implementation isn't fantastic as a base game function). Basically, QoL changes are always welcome and should be met with praise, however, as OP says, there is really nothing content-wise to warrant a playthrough of more of the same empty boring Calradia that we have right now.
I agree as well. For me a big enough addition for this patch would have been the roguery perk to let me create a big bandit army... just a new way to play the game, and it could be achieved through a single simple perk. But perks are being added so very slowly. And I get that they want to come up with good ideas for their perks (the new steward perks for example seem like a very cool concept), but for the roguery perk the idea already exists (no defection due to morale... you can also just make it "no defection due to exceeding party limit" instead, to not make morale irrelevant if that's what they're worried about, simple). It just needs implementation, so I don't know why they're not doing it already... it's been so many months, I've literally been waiting for this perk exclusively.

Still, with that put aside, everyone has to take into account their own hours spent in the vanilla experience. Since I have over 1000 hours, it's already hard for me to expect a monthly patch that will bring so many changes that it will make me want to play a new playthrough from start to finish, I've played it so much already. I haven't been playing a long playthrough for quite a few patches now. So I definitely get what everyone is saying, I feel the same way about needing more substance added, but still I have to keep in mind that I played the game so much it's really improbable for the monthly updates to truly make the experience feel like new again. Still, I can appreciate very good additions like those QoLs and the performance improvements because once some significant content comes (which again, can even take the form of one single perk!), it will at least be enjoyable to play and there won't be anymore of the frustrations that used to lower the enjoyment (like having to click 1000 times to upgrade all your diverse troops. I was literally not upgrading my troops because it was so tiresome).

I'll just give the benefit of the doubt and accept that they had other priorities for this patch, which was the modding issue, some multiplayer stuffs and some singleplayer as well which most of it was about performance and QoL. Good enjoyable content can easily come after those. I really hope they understand this point again, that even one simple but good perk can literally change the way the game is played and give another reason to someone to replay the whole game, which is a very valuable thing. A fresh playthrough would be possible If they just gave the possibility of a bandit-like playthrough (no need to go so in-depth either), and they just added a few more bandit units perhaps (looters should also upgrade into something, shouldn't they? at least give them a very cheap bow to replace those mighty rocks! Or some very light low damage javelins, or even better - throwing knives, keeping their throwing trend going).

So yeah, in its current state, with no more menu lags etc, if I haven't played the game 1000 of hours already I would have definitely enjoyed the hell out of it right now I feel like. It's just unfortunate I played so much. This is one fact that I think people are overlooking when complaining about the lack of new content after every patch, that they already spent a generous amount of hours into the game and so it makes sense to be so hardly pleased. Even if I don't get to play the game for long anymore right now, I'd still come back after 2-3-4 months when at least we'll have the terrain system, probably keep battles as well and some other additions, and if we're really lucky siege AI will also be drastically improved by then. It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Agree with this. Improved unit collision especially in big sieges is needed. The mobs look like a swarm of coked-out bees. Religion effecting relation and diplomacy would be nice addition. Game needs massive additions to diplomacy, NPC interaction, quests and scenes.
I think they know, but caring that's a different story...
TW added 3 quests. So it is improving, slowly. Obviously not going to happen overnight.

Back
Top Bottom