My Gut Reaction to 1.6.0

Users who are viewing this thread

There are so many of the community who, like me, aren't even going to play another damn minute of Bannerlord until:

1) Sieges are working

2) There is some sort of functioning diplomacy with a tiny bit of depth

3) There's a far wider variety of scenes (with functionality)
These 3 points at OP are right the point.

I feel there is no reason to ever play without these. The core features and game depth are still missing.

I kno I will just install the patch, check the performance, and not play at all.

These 3 points at OP are right the point.

I feel there is no reason to ever play without these. The core features and game depth are still missing.

I kno I will just install the patch, check the performance, and not play at all.
I'm not gonna bother until the mods I use are updated. I'm hoping @Philozoraptor will be able to fix the siege Ai.
@Bloc is there a chance you will update Diplomacy?

Never trust a gut reaction. It is governed by cognitive biases developed over time and may be clouding expectations with past hangups.

I'm interested in seeing how the cultural effects play out. 50% Forest bonus for Battania is OP as hell given how widespread forests are. It's about time deserts had some sort of consequence.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Sturgia's cohesion advantage and cheaper infantry might be a game changer for the faction... Same for cheaper garrisons for the Empire - their cities are going to be harder to take - at least for AI generals/simulations.

Khuzait speed bonus gone? Again... game changer - horse archers mean nothing in a siege - but all those extra Empire militia, and the influence gain from army participation... they mean something.

- the roguery perk to let me create a big bandit army... just a new way to play the game, and it could be achieved through a single simple perk.
What kind of Perk you thinking of?

I played a lot of Rogue and Mercenary and Peasant Armies but I think Roguery is still to difficult to level because its real strength lies in early game to mid but it is way to time consuming and costly to level.

What kind of Perk you thinking of?

I played a lot of Rogue and Mercenary and Peasant Armies but I think Roguery is still to difficult to level because its real strength lies in early game to mid but it is way to time consuming and costly to level.
If you go to Bannerlord perks website and go to 1.5.6 (jeez, such a long time ago), the perk Partners In Crime on the 6th row presents the (unimplemented) description: "Bandit type troops never defect from your party (which currently is not present in the perk description anymore)." That perk means that no matter if your morale drops very low, no matter if you exceed your party size limit - *if you only have bandit troops in your party you can just keep recruiting bandits above those limitations because they'll never leave*. So you won't need a lot of clan tiers, you won't need stewardship or leadership, you would just be able to recruit a big blob of fairly weaker than normal units once you got the perk. All in good fun.

Now, I understand why it just hasn't been implemented yet. - For one, I think TW is big on morale and doesn't want that to be insignificant. That is why I am suggesting just limiting the perk to "recruiting bandits above party size limit does not cause them to defect" instead of no defections at all. A leader should still take good care of their party, naturally. Food should matter, morale should matter, etc - those are core game mechanics.

- Another thing that would make it stronger than it should be is the poor difference between low tier units and high tier units (armor is not effective enough at reducing damage still). So a lot of looters (3x the amount of a normal party) could possibly easily defeat mid to top tier troops atm. It's supposed to be a fun kind of perk, not an OP perk I'm sure.

- One more thing, the siege AI. Since archers on the wall aren't shooting the attackers as they are supposed to, I imagine you will get away scot free with having units with no shields and no armors in your party sieging a settlement.

- Finally, the last thing I'm thinking is the interaction with the "Veteran's Respect" leadership perk that allows us to turn bandits into regular troops. I mean, I can already see myself upgrade all the troops (lets say 500 looters) to imperial infantrymen with shields and better armors immediately after besieging a settlement (right before the attack), which sounds completely unintended gameplay. Then after winning the settlement I have proper troops defending it instead of the looters that I should instead have. So yeah, maybe some sort of limitation with that system is needed as well, because it sounds really abusable for sieges. Troops just wouldn't have time to defect from you upgrading them to no longer bandits if you did it right before a siege, so just make it so that they cannot be upgraded before a siege if it is too strong. If it's somehow not too strong it would still be a fun little idea and I wouldn't complain.

So yeah, there are some issues that need solving before implementing such a perk, but the main point is that TW gave the hope of a really cool perk at one point (very big bandit party size!) but it never happened yet, and it's been a lot of patches (the perk's idea was first revealed in 1.5.4 if you look at Bannerlord Perks again and it was called "Thieves Honor". So basically I've been waiting for this perk to come out for 7 patches now, which is a really long time. All I truly hope is that they didn't completely scrapped the idea, and they will come with some solutions instead. But every patch has me worried about it and roguery has some fairly useless perks for how hard it is to level, and this perk would give it the redemption it deserves...

About leveling roguery, I didn't level roguery yet since this perk is not out and I don't see the point. Yes it is difficult to level. Try using the prison escape system and help some lords escape, I remember that giving a proper amount of roguery experience, but I'm not sure how reliable it is long term. Also you can get daily experience I think if you have high morale (above 70?) and you have bandit units in your party, which again would be great if you could actually hire bandits over the party limit to gain more daily experience, so still waiting for that perk.

I killed probably 50 archers in siege once with a sword. Not because I am some master, but because the AI is so bad, they must get to point A and anything in their way will be ignored. It's really really bad. A year and some out and the siege AI is worse than WB's is not what I call great progress.

There are so many of the community who, like me, aren't even going to play another damn minute of Bannerlord until:

1) Sieges are working

2) There is some sort of functioning diplomacy with a tiny bit of depth

3) There's a far wider variety of scenes (with functionality)

I don't necessarily agree with 1) and 3) but yeah diplomacy is severly lacking in the game.

I mean for Sieges; you can see that there is some effort and it is mostly going in the right direction. I didn't do a siege since the update but even in previous update despite the army stopping at the inner gate for instance, you had improvments with new siege ladder things, (and I mean why people don't just use catapults in the first place is beyond me).

For diplomacy, it seems it would be simple dialogue options, but for some reason we get a mini-revamp of the Smithy mechanic. Who asked for this? Who asked for any of this?

They didn't even repair the starving cities "mechanic" that was introduced last time.
It starts to look like these updates are one-step forward, two-steps back.

For diplomacy, it seems it would be simple dialogue options, but for some reason we get a mini-revamp of the Smithy mechanic. Who asked for this? Who asked for any of this?
a lot of people asked about smithing improvements, it's just been quite a while since we've heard complaints about it because people have learned to accept the situation (it not being a main priority). It's good we're finally seeing some progress with it imo.

a lot of people asked about smithing improvements, it's just been quite a while since we've heard complaints about it because people have learned to accept the situation (it not being a main priority). It's good we're finally seeing some progress with it imo.
I'm sorry, I immediately went into venting mode about smithing, it is not relevant to the subject at hand.

But, to clarify, I don't meant to say that they don't need to improve smithing. By all means: improve smithing. It just feels like such a minor problem and it is dealt in such a convoluted manner. Maybe I missed it, but nothing has changed here. There is a new interface, there is the new orders thing, but there is no new gameplay mechanics. The weapons will still be overpriced or whatever. Skill increase an experience gain is still determined on weapon price. The core problems/complaints were not adressed.
See what I mean? The interface was the problem?

In 1.5.10 they removed a dialogue option that made it possible to make peace with an enemy lord in the field through dialogue. Now you cannot wiggle out of the peace vote once you're in the peace menu (nevermind you might have clicked accidentaly, or the timer hasn't run out, or you want to finish a siege or whatever). But hey, now you can improve relations with a random character if you craft an item with sliders on auto.

Can we order our units once the enemy routs in 1.6? Or is it still locked?
You can't, but I find it really ok personally, though many might not agree. Half of your troops will start cheering and half will chase the enemy. I kinda like the way it is now, it feels right, but I'm playing in a more unconventional way. I'm limiting myself to infantry-only kind of playthrough (because archers are too OP for my taste) so it's not like I'm trying to abuse farming routed units with cavalry and archers (which many want). For infantry it's a good indirect buff because archers and cavalry are already way better to have, so giving this slight nerf against farming routed troops to archers and cavalry is good in that sense (since infantry will never catch routing troops, making them the hardest units to upgrade, and this brings them closer to the value of archers and cavalry). Still, I can see why people want that feature back, and I wouldn't have a problem with it coming back but I also have no problem with it not coming back, I'm 50-50 on it.

You can't, but I find it really ok personally, though many might not agree. Half of your troops will start cheering and half will chase the enemy. I kinda like the way it is now, it feels right, but I'm playing in a more unconventional way. I'm limiting myself to infantry-only kind of playthrough (because archers are too OP for my taste) so it's not like I'm trying to abuse farming routed units with cavalry and archers (which many want). For infantry it's a good indirect buff because archers and cavalry are already way better to have, so giving this slight nerf against farming routed troops to archers and cavalry is good in that sense (since infantry will never catch routing troops, making them the hardest units to upgrade, and this brings them closer to the value of archers and cavalry). Still, I can see why people want that feature back, and I wouldn't have a problem with it coming back but I also have no problem with it not coming back, I'm 50-50 on it.

I can't? Well that sucks I guess. I think that's rubbish. Might as well just force the battle to end. I like to arrange my troops after every battle. Like a parade if you will ^^

Thanks for the response.

Edit:

TW added 3 quests. So it is improving, slowly. Obviously not going to happen overnight.

Are you kidding me? A single modder releases more content in a week. Besides, until quests have noticeable effect on the world, they're just a waste of time.

Haha Oh Steve, I wonder what you did to get yourself banned?

I mean you were always negative about everything..... :wink: but usually in a polite way! lol
don't see anything excessive in his recent posts either. I just hope for his sake that he doesn't pull a mostblunted and use an alt 5 mins after being temp banned

I killed probably 50 archers in siege once with a sword. Not because I am some master, but because the AI is so bad, they must get to point A and anything in their way will be ignored. It's really really bad. A year and some out and the siege AI is worse than WB's is not what I call great progress.
Haha Oh Steve, I wonder what you did to get yourself banned?

I mean you were always negative about everything..... :wink: but usually in a polite way! lol
What did he even do, did TW's put out a hit on him

maybe it's just orion white knighting again

Inappropriate content
don't see anything excessive in his recent posts either. I just hope for his sake that he doesn't pull a mostblunted and use an alt 5 mins after being temp banned

Some moderators here love to abuse their power. It's sad that the community allows them to do so.

Reminds me of nazi germany:

“When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;