A question for forum moderators

Users who are viewing this thread

In this moment I've realize we may have had mistreated Mushashi, but it was an accumulation of past responses of his, in my opinion, I doubt he ever wanted to listen to others and he pushed his opinions (taleworlds being this bad company that stole money from the people) in whatever context he could, was it correct or not, so even if we could have approached the subject better as a community I really don't know how much he would have avoided his ban, in the end he found it himself despite our attitude. What I mean is that we could react better to these threads from now on, and try to make our points be understood in a more polite manner.
Most people tried if you look at any of the original comments and replies but when you push too hard people push back

In this moment I've realize we may have had mistreated Mushashi, but it was an accumulation of past responses of his, in my opinion, I doubt he ever wanted to listen to others and he pushed his opinions (taleworlds being this bad company that stole money from the people) in whatever context he could, was it correct or not, so even if we could have approached the subject better as a community I really don't know how much he would have avoided his ban, in the end he found it himself despite our attitude. What I mean is that we could react better to these threads from now on, and try to make our points be understood in a more polite manner.

Most people tried if you look at any of the original comments and replies but when you push too hard people push back

I honestly felt like Musashii was starting to come round just a bit. I mean, still pushing the envelope pretty hard in the mentioned thread, but Musashii actually made some on topic posts in other threads including diplomacy developments, almost as if to make up for past mistakes, and the feedback wasn't so bad. I think there was a realization to some degree that even on the internet a community holds people accountable. Yet, the total meltdown after the thread was locked, as well as the moving into this one to cause further issues, is undoubtedly why Musashii was banned, and not the events from that source thread.

I wish Musashii could have come around, but I saw at least a good part of it unfold before the posts were removed. In the end I feel like this person was given a lot of freedom and was allowed to make all the criticism they wanted, in addition to engaging in loads of flaming and baiting, as were others. It wasn't until the line was crossed at the end there that ban was issued and I don't think anyone is to blame for that except the person who crossed the line. Accountability belongs to each for their own actions. Hopefully this person can find some peace and come back to BL when it doesn't upset them so much.

But this is the last I am going to say about this, I don't want to drag this conversation on any further when there are far more pertinent BL related issues, feedback, and suggestions to discuss.

Last edited:
Shh people, I am taking this moment in. We are in a special place at the moment. The Adventurers' Hall - Website and Forum Information section. If you peek outside you may see this is a rarity for any post other than those by mods to make it here.

Ok got that out of my system :grin:

Perhaps I'm weird, but I've been raised on the principles of respect and humility. Treat others how you would want to be treated. Everyone is human so it happens to even the best of us to get heated, but when that happens, you apologize and try to not do it again. I know no one likes to be insulted, so why start the vicious cycle in the first place? Poison the fountain and poison shall gush forth from it. When you will drink from it, don't be surprised if you end up ill!

The world needs more people like you :smile: .

You should have been the one to answer my email not that troll on [email protected] who intentionally antagonized me by belittling me.
He has 0 communication skills, how he is handling that customer-relations email is beyond me.
That would be me who handles responses for that e-mail address, after the original e-mail is discussed amongst our global moderators.

I recall that you're the person who received a trivial 1-point warning with no consequences (those take 4+ points within a month) and proceeded to write us an essay about how that warning "defiled" your previously spotless account. I admit to being unsympathetic to your plight.

That would be me who handles responses for that e-mail address, after the original e-mail is discussed amongst our global moderators.

I recall that you're the person who received a trivial 1-point warning with no consequences (those take 4+ points within a month) and proceeded to write us an essay about how that warning "defiled" your previously spotless account. I admit to being unsympathetic to your plight.
I see your manners are as good as ever. I'm not surprised to once again hear you misrepresent my 'essay'.
Which was about the consequences of rough handling moderation, which I would assume you to have a interest in.

Nevertheless, I need not say anything for the fruit of the tree lay already beneath it. @armagan

Which was about the consequences of rough handling moderation

You made a thread titled "An auto-blocking option was added for single player." where your OP was simply "For the noobs who wanted it (Y)".

Given the heated debates we've observed in the past around auto-blocking, your OP constituted a slight bait and for this you received a minor 1 point warning (which had no consequences and which faded away quickly). Get over it and stop making it seem like we are torturing you in a dungeon, you are not a victim here.

Get over it and stop making it seem like we are torturing you in a dungeon, you are not a victim here.
I admit to being unsympathetic to your plight.
Looking at this from an outside perspective, and as someone who has experience in being a moderator, I would count both of these parts of your statements as baiting Cri11e.

Definition of a forum:

noun

1. 1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
There will always be baiting within a forum, as the whole point of a forum is to debate views and ideas which requires baiting of one kind or another. From this part of the statement:
your OP constituted a slight bait and for this you received a minor 1 point warning
It does seem like heavy handed moderating, even if it is just a 1 point warning. If Cri11e had been given points for trolling people who disagreed with his statement then that would of been a lot more understandable.

Moderators do have the ability to message someone and say to them that the statement they have put up could lead to a warning. Due to the high chance of it leading to a heated discussion and ask the to change it before that happens. This would seem to have been the better option than giving points at the offset.

...it's a single point. It doesn't do anything but get the user's attention. Essentially all it serves is to mark for future reference that the poster was politely tapped on the shoulder and told not to do that again. It isn't worth worrying about.

Furthermore, flamebaiting is against the rules. Discussion does not require flamebait. Bait isn't an argument, it's something meant to piss off someone else and start drama.

Looking at this from an outside perspective, and as someone who has experience in being a moderator, I would count both of these parts of your statements as baiting Cri11e.

Definition of a forum:

noun

1. 1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
There will always be baiting within a forum, as the whole point of a forum is to debate views and ideas which requires baiting of one kind or another. From this part of the statement:

It does seem like heavy handed moderating, even if it is just a 1 point warning. If Cri11e had been given points for trolling people who disagreed with his statement then that would of been a lot more understandable.

Moderators do have the ability to message someone and say to them that the statement they have put up could lead to a warning. Due to the high chance of it leading to a heated discussion and ask the to change it before that happens. This would seem to have been the better option than giving points at the offset.
That's an obtuse and--in my opinion--disingenuous interpretation of "baiting" in this context. The term "baiting" in this context refers exclusively to flamebaiting, which is the act of inciting flaming by posting something unnecessarily provocative or rude for no other purpose. There are plenty of threads he could have used to discuss the autoblock feature earnestly, and there are infinite ways he could have broached the subject in his new thread that did not disrespect or provoke other users. The fact that he created a new thread just to be rude to other users of the forum did merit a moderation response.

As laid out in the rules of the forum, warning points last for one month and there are no restrictions imposed by them until at least 4 points are active at one time. There are further thresholds at 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 points which correspond to greater restrictions.

I must say, it's ironic to take the position that a moderator must approach a user's problematic post in good faith when it is abundantly clear that the user did not submit that post in good faith in the first place.

That's an obtuse and--in my opinion--disingenuous interpretation of "baiting" in this context. The term "baiting" in this context refers exclusively to flamebaiting, which is the act of inciting flaming by posting something unnecessarily provocative or rude for no other purpose. There are plenty of threads he could have used to discuss the autoblock feature earnestly, and there are infinite ways he could have broached the subject in his new thread that did not disrespect or provoke other users. The fact that he created a new thread just to be rude to other users of the forum did merit a moderation response.

As laid out in the rules of the forum, warning points last for one month and there are no restrictions imposed by them until at least 4 points are active at one time. There are further thresholds at 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 points which correspond to greater restrictions.

I must say, it's ironic to take the position that a moderator must approach a user's problematic post in good faith when it is abundantly clear that the user did not submit that post in good faith in the first place.

I do not disagree over flame baiting, however one of the moderators on this thread has stated that it was a minor bait which does not put it in that category. I do feel that when you next have a team talk on the rules this needs to be discussed.

As to finding it ironic, I seriously hope that you are joking. Moderators are supposed to be the customer service of forums. everything done with a smile, as you want that customer to buy more products in the future.

You're no customer of mine. None of us are employees, or even compensated for our time here. This is a strictly volunteer gig. We are members of the forum first, just like you, and we are never put upon by TaleWorlds to play nice with users that are creating trouble. We do what we do to keep the community active, not for TaleWorlds' bottom line.

Sorry but it really isn't at all. If anything I felt like mods have been too soft on some people. I don't think its fair to complain about how "strict" they are. I just randomly saw this thread and l agree with their decisions in those instances.

You're no customer of mine. None of us are employees, or even compensated for our time here. This is a strictly volunteer gig. We are members of the forum first, just like you, and we are never put upon by TaleWorlds to play nice with users that are creating trouble. We do what we do to keep the community active, not for TaleWorlds' bottom line.
Hol up, do you get paid for being a forum moderator? Which forum!? Where can I sign up???
@Callum is this correct that none of your moderators sign a contract with TaleWorlds including an NDA? Because if they do, they are employees of TaleWorlds which according to these two moderators they do not understand. If not are TaleWorlds crazy?

No seriously, I have never, ever heard of forum moderators getting paid. I need to know of this magical site that pays you, and I also need you to put a good word in for me pls

On that note, ditto for websites that require moderators to sign NDAs.

No seriously, I have never, ever heard of forum moderators getting paid. I need to know of this magical site that pays you, and I also need you to put a good word in for me pls
Did I say I got paid for it? Please show me where I said that. I said that moderators are a form of customer service, nothing more than that. If you are not capable of being nice to people without being paid for it, that shows more about your character than it does about anything else.

You do realise that this is TaleWorlds offical forum. therefore you are representing the company on here?

If that is not what you want to do then you should resign from your posts as moderators.

Back
Top Bottom