This isn't right. (Aserai Cav)

Users who are viewing this thread

Apocal

Grandmaster Knight
So, another Aserai playthrough, this time not going multi-faction (much) for my party. Cool. Aserai have some cool troops, once you get past the sacrifice tiers. But they do have an issue with getting to their high-tier mounted units, specifically T3 (Mameluke Regulars) for their main line and T2/T3 (Youth, Tribal Horsemen) for their noble line.

The problem is that they have serious issues killing things.

They have lances or spears but don't couch and cannot aim a thrust to save their lives, in some cases quite literally. As often as not, they make their approach so the target is on the LEFT side, meaning a very tight angle to successfully connect with their thrust, instead of having the common sense to keep them on the right. That is, when they aren't bowling him over with their horse. Even when they have their swords out, they'll routinely knock over their target rather than keeping him off-set. And even when they do get the approach right, cavalry mistime their sword swings consistently. They go riding with their sword cocked back, ready to swing, go sailing past their intended target, then cut loose and hit nothing but air.

So, I've just discovered that the 'easiest' method for levelling units past their awkward phase (lance-and-sword, with no ranged weapons) is to ride them forward a bit, dismount, step forward a bit more and have them fight on foot. In the case of Mameluke Regulars, Youth and Tribal Horsemen, they aren't actually bad units for their tier; it is just being on horseback makes them terrible melee units. On foot, they go for swords and cut down bandits and other low-tier units perfectly fine, allowing them to rack up enough kills to level quite a bit faster than otherwise. Both in the sense of the number of battles required and also how long in real-time those battles take me to complete.

The only downside is that you miss out on a few kills when the enemy breaks and they have to spend time mounting back up to ride them down.

Anyone else had similar experiences with other troop trees or is this sour-spot specific to Aserai?

I regularly saw sword cavalry to prepare their swing to the right but approaching target via their left instead. Result is strange twisting of the torso with backward (against the motion of the horse) swing completely missing their mark of course. This is very annoying with cavalry that does not have spears or lances like Sturgian brigands. They are very inaccurate with their swords.

Spear cavalry often misses their trusts, but it seems to happen mostly when enemy is running away. When enemy is standing ground or advancing toward horseman, trusts seems to be significantly more accurate.

All in all, cavalry attacks with both trusting weapons like spears and swinging weapons like swords or axes have some room to improve. I however suspect this to not be thing that can be improved easily, therefore I don't expect major improvement anytime soon.

This is why my Mameluke Axemen always excelled more than my regulars do. Cavalry are just in a weird place of being strong and weak in the wrong places.

The Khuzait horseman is t3 as well. Do they have the same issue? I haven't tried a serious Khuzait run at all.

This is why my Mameluke Axemen always excelled more than my regulars do. Cavalry are just in a weird place of being strong and weak in the wrong places.

The Khuzait horseman is t3 as well. Do they have the same issue? I haven't tried a serious Khuzait run at all.

With Khuzait usually you would go for horse archers, which don't really suffer from that problem. I imagine if you went with the melee cavalry troops you would have the same issue. This also seems to be consistent with the feeling of being unable to hit anything from horseback that a lot of people, me included, had when we started playing. Eventually you learn to adjust for it, but mounted combat just feels incredibly awkward when compared to Warband (combat in general does, but I think it's more evident when you are trying to chop heads off while mounted).

It seems like all Cav have issue landing a hit. TBH when I try to swing a sword on horse back I understand their pain. It just doesn't swing like it should.
I don't know why they aren't better with pole arms though. The heavy Cav are okay only because they don't instantly die, but they're still not very good offensively. I use them like a big clumbsy boomerang but I'm very disappointing by Cav in BL.

It's like Horse archers and heavy Cav switched roles from WB. Now HA are amazing and Cav is just annoying.

It seems like all Cav have issue landing a hit. TBH when I try to swing a sword on horse back I understand their pain. It just doesn't swing like it should.
I don't know why they aren't better with pole arms though. The heavy Cav are okay only because they don't instantly die, but they're still not very good offensively. I use them like a big clumbsy boomerang but I'm very disappointing by Cav in BL.

It's like Horse archers and heavy Cav switched roles from WB. Now HA are amazing and Cav is just annoying.
One more problem is their ridiculous maneuverability. When they swing and miss they ride past that guy and instead of riding more or less sane distance and turn around to go back and try again, they ride miles away to turn around and go back and miss again

Back
Top Bottom