SP - General Game is great, but i always wonder....how would it be coop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrei[beast]

Sergeant at Arms
I love the game the way it is , it's great, yeah i know, issues here and there, many annoying but it's ok the devs talk with us, they try to fix.
BUT, what about a coop singleplayer campaign? It would be amazing and great and all that, and yeah, i am certain about some options, like the relation with lords, with nations, wife etc. but just at the core, you and a friend wondering around Calradia.
Now with the clan option, think about just starting and you have your party and a friend party, you go around recruiting and doing quests for money/relation, and after some time meet back in the middle of the nation you want to join, join them, and after that making your own small army and raid villages
This way it would be easier to go do tournaments and fight for renown to increase your tier faster
I don't know if it would be done, i know it could be hard, I'm NOT saying do it, just atleast consider it, because i don't think i'm the only one who considered this

hi, yeah, there are a lot of people who wishes to have a coop.

my only problem is with coop, when you or you mate are in a battle, the campaign map is in single player always on stop. so if you or your mate are in battle, how you solve the issue to be in a battle and at the same time, the campaign map is still going on? or should the campaign map get into hold, so you have to wait untilt he battle is done?
the easiest way will be to not have even the chance to fight battles and only have auto resolve, but that would be a hard cut in the fun of the game

hi, yeah, there are a lot of people who wishes to have a coop.

my only problem is with coop, when you or you mate are in a battle, the campaign map is in single player always on stop. so if you or your mate are in battle, how you solve the issue to be in a battle and at the same time, the campaign map is still going on? or should the campaign map get into hold, so you have to wait untilt he battle is done?
the easiest way will be to not have even the chance to fight battles and only have auto resolve, but that would be a hard cut in the fun of the game
Yeah, that would be really hard to figure out a way and i kind of get it now
Couldn't be there no way to make the campaign map to continue even when a battle is happening?
Like your mate could see you and the other army like you see other AI fighting

I have thought about this too. In the abstract, I love the concept. But isn't the way calendar time works in the game a huge problem for this to ever work? (E.g. all of the constant pauses?)

Maybe if they slowed down all time to account for time paused normally in SP (e.g. when time stops when you trade, look at diplomacy options screen, etc.) , but then also made it so only active battles could 'pause' time - and then your coop player could choose to join you in battles and vice versa?

I have thought about this too. In the abstract, I love the concept. But isn't the way calendar time works in the game a huge problem for this to ever work? (E.g. all of the constant pauses?)

Maybe if they slowed down all time to account for time paused normally in SP (e.g. when time stops when you trade, look at diplomacy options screen, etc.) , but then also made it so only active battles could 'pause' time - and then your coop player could choose to join you in battles and vice versa?
I recently had no health so my soldiers had to fight by themselves some looters and it showed me the cassualties pannell updating in real time as time was passing by and everything around the battle still going
I'm thinking of something like that but somehow make it work even when you join a battle

if you cant figure out how to make the time skips somehow viable or how to deal with it, just forget coop.
i dont see any solution to that without huge balance issues

Maybe whenever a player battles, the other player jumps in as a random soldier? Or maybe a special companion?

Stuff for the campaign map would have to be redone to support coop though, so that's not all too practical. Maybe if it was Frozen Synapse where players decide what they do, then watch the game unravel? Or just let pauses happen? I dunno. This seems quite impractical for the time being.

i think you idea is better and i fully agree , and am not into coding or anything but what if they make it COOP but one party basically one is main and other is just a spectator / companion in the army i think that would overcome problem of map pause while in battle and all that , it still would be very very awesome , my friend personally not big fan of game like me he will maybe buy after release but if he hear coop he'll be like : SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

just for the 2% of non players, engaing the players to get the non-players? thats not a good goal....

still a complicated think with the battle pause or not pause. evern if you participate as coop partner in battel you will be somewhere else on the map.. so its pretty not good? that just makes no sense

but plz get this thread going and make more suggestions!

i think you idea is better and i fully agree , and am not into coding or anything but what if they make it COOP but one party basically one is main and other is just a spectator / companion in the army i think that would overcome problem of map pause while in battle and all that , it still would be very very awesome , my friend personally not big fan of game like me he will maybe buy after release but if he hear coop he'll be like : SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

yeah, the Second person would Have to be pretty much OK with just sitting there and watching a lot of the game. Which, maybe there’s a small market for that, but I would hope for a more robust experience- if it were even possible.

yeah, the Second person would Have to be pretty much OK with just sitting there and watching a lot of the game. Which, maybe there’s a small market for that, but I would hope for a more robust experience- if it were even possible.
better then nothing i would say , maybe devs won't even implement it

Last edited:
We need to somehow make the devs see this
Atleast give us a reply or something. Or consider it
Basically all my friends from Warband wants coop , so i assume also big part of community as well. so giving us an answer to whether it will be implemented in future or never will at least give us hope or destory it , so i second what u said

Not just the battle pauses. You don’t notice it, but time stops in SP all the time when the player toggles various interfaces and menus.

Would be great, but would involve a really in depth solution.

they can just make it so time passes irregardless in battles
but every party ignores the battle
or if enemy is near
he joins battle
and so on
basically like ck2
but it doesnt speed up its in like 1x speed

Co-op would be great done in the Total War style.

On the campaign map both players do their thing independently.

When a battle starts the not involved player is given the choice to control the opponent AI army, or the player that started the battle grants them a part of their army to control.

Co-op would be great done in the Total War style.

On the campaign map both players do their thing independently.

When a battle starts the not involved player is given the choice to control the opponent AI army, or the player that started the battle grants them a part of their army to control.

To reiterate, what about the Real Time with pauses format vs. the turn-based format of a total war game? E.g. Would time still stop, for both players, every time either player entered a tournament? Entered a tradescreen? Visited a tavern? Clicked into a clan management menu? The party management menu? The inventory management menu? The character management menu? etc., etc.

I agree, battles are the least difficult thing to figure out for coop, because both players could join a battle together. But what about all of the other events, features that stop time in the game? The more you think about it, the more you realize just how much of the game consists of stopped time. Until you figure that out, this doesn't work.

Would those seeking coop be okay if time just didn't stop when all of those things happened? If so, should time just be slower to make it easier to manage all of those things w/out the pause feature? These are the important kinds of questions. Answers are possible, but not easy.

To reiterate, what about the Real Time with pauses format vs. the turn-based format of a total war game? E.g. Would time still stop, for both players, every time either player entered a tournament? Entered a tradescreen? Visited a tavern? Clicked into a clan management menu? The party management menu? The inventory management menu? The character management menu? etc., etc.

I agree, battles are the least difficult thing to figure out for coop, because both players could join a battle together. But what about all of the other events, features that stop time in the game? The more you think about it, the more you realize just how much of the game consists of stopped time. Until you figure that out, this doesn't work.

Would those seeking coop be okay if time just didn't stop when all of those things happened? If so, should time just be slower to make it easier to manage all of those things w/out the pause feature? These are the important kinds of questions. Answers are possible, but not easy.

Well I'm already of the opinion that most things that stop time, shouldn't stop time.

The idea that I can pop into town, unload 2,000 lbs of loot in the market, buy 100 horses, 300 sacks of grain, then recruit a dozen locals into my army, and stop by the pub without a second of time passing is nonsensical.

As well, why can't I manage my clan or kingdom while time passes and my wounded troops heal? Why does TW insist on torturing me by making me only able to pass time by staring at their map not doing anything.

The game needs to pause a whole hell of a lot less.

Back
Top Bottom