Are spears and pikes ever going to be fixed?

Users who are viewing this thread

This is just a problem with animations in the game, which I do agree, are lacking. Simply because the animation is bad does not mean spears should be in the game.
This is not a lack of animation, it is a game mechanic. You have to move with the strike. This is how spears work in the game. It was like that in Warband, Vikings Conquest and so in Bannerlord. If you change the spears, they will be too OP, and there will be no reason to use other weapons.

Yep this. Even in Warband, Taleworlds seems to have an obsession about tacking penalties onto spears. Low base damage + penalty for being over a certain length + penalty when using one-handed + poor AI and formation + lack of attack angle.... all reduce spears to utter uselessness.

I may start to sound like a broken record, but look at what Viking Conquest is doing. Spearman actually use spears in formation, formations that work
with troops supporting each other using the long reach of the spear. Shieldwall is so bad in Bannerlord. If VC can automatically put troops with actual shield in front and arrange troops according to weapon length (short weapon in front and longer one in the back), why take a step back here?
well, gotta admint, VC's formations are superior to Bannerlord's. If we could throw their units against any unit in BL, they'd wipe them out in 10 seconds while the BL units would be headbanging each other and deforming the formation like a bunch of plume bags.

Can you kill with a spear by simply extending your arm? No, you cannot. You have to include body movement into your strike. In the game they strike only by extending their arms. And they lean forward just for the range. There is no power on their strikes. Do you want good damage in the game? - move you body during a strike.
Stop this nonsense with body movement, it won't take a noticeable effect until you are literally running. If by "body movement" you mean apply body weight, than you don't need to move at all. You can grip spear tightly (coach under arm), and just push against enemy body with your weight and leg muscle.

Having done historical shieldwall reenactment, you're wrong. Firstly, most of the representations are of spears far too long to be thrown, and in periods where this wasn't really common practice regardless.

Secondly, the overhand grip allows for a level change, now while your fellow spearmen stab at the legs and feet of the enemy, you stab over and into their neck/face. There is plenty of leverage to kill someone, and you actually have more of an arc infront of you where the spear is dangerous with an overhand grip. You'll also need an overhand grip to effectively fight 2nd rank with kite shields, the tail of the shield of the man infront of and to your right will severely restrict your movements.

A spear can kill you through chainmail, a spear can kill you through plate armor even. Chainmail primarily stops slashing blows, and makes you a harder target to hit square, as you will glance off at bad angles even with a spear, but a direct hit will penetrate and potentially kill. The gambeson may save you from a spear if it's very thick and paired with chainmail to allow less of the spear to reach your body as fast, but spearheads are plenty long enough (usually, there are of course exceptions) to reach through these defenses with enough force to kill you.

For an example in Bannerlord, look at the Thin Fine Steel Hewing Spear. That could reach through and out your back, regardless of the armor.
you should learn more about real armor, what you've said about spears in formation is correct, what you've said about armors is just mind-boggling. A full plate armor is impenetrable unless there's so much force applied, that you'd have to be the Incredible Hulk or be mounted on a full speed charge to puncture it effectively. And even if you did, you could say goodbye to your spear/lance.

you should learn more about real armor, what you've said about spears in formation is correct, what you've said about armors is just mind-boggling. A full plate armor is impenetrable unless there's so much force applied, that you'd have to be the Incredible Hulk or be mounted on a full speed charge to puncture it effectively. And even if you did, you could say goodbye to your spear/lance.

I never said puncturing plate armor was easy. I said it was possible, which it is, and it can be deadly. Spears against plate armor is somewhat anachronistic, a peasant levy wielding spears would run before they fought plate armored knights, and trained footmen would be using two-handed polearms (pollaxe, corseque, halberd, etc), which have far more deadly offense against plate armor.

I remarked about gambeson & chain not being thick enough to stop a spear from hitting vitals if effort is applied, such is not necessarily true for plate armor, unless the specific style of armor had thin spots or a fatal design flaw guiding the spear-point to an opening in the armor(surprisingly not uncommon, such as some Gjermundbu style helmets guiding spears into the eyehole).

It's not really relevant to the game, where there is no true plate armor anyway. Spears should be a viable weapon in the game, right now they have some serious flaws that prevent them from being competitive.

I never said puncturing plate armor was easy. I said it was possible, which it is, and it can be deadly. Spears against plate armor is somewhat anachronistic, a peasant levy wielding spears would run before they fought plate armored knights, and trained footmen would be using two-handed polearms (pollaxe, corseque, halberd, etc), which have far more deadly offense against plate armor.

I remarked about gambeson & chain not being thick enough to stop a spear from hitting vitals if effort is applied, such is not necessarily true for plate armor, unless the specific style of armor had thin spots or a fatal design flaw guiding the spear-point to an opening in the armor(surprisingly not uncommon, such as some Gjermundbu style helmets guiding spears into the eyehole).

It's not really relevant to the game, where there is no true plate armor anyway. Spears should be a viable weapon in the game, right now they have some serious flaws that prevent them from being competitive.
You would not be able to kill anyone doing that, you'd only get your spear stuck and make the guy wearing the armor really angry... The only way to do it would be hitting the ridiculously small gaps on the plate armor, which is one of the hardest things to do with a spear, unless you were as close to the guy as to kiss him, if you did that, he'd probably bash your skull in with a mace before you could say "puncturing".

I also agree that spears should be fixed, but saying armor is penetrable is like saying that you've won a 1vs50 fist fight. I've said that MAYBE with a full speed horse charge one could kill a guy in full plate, but he'd probably fall down the horse, break hist hand and lose the spear in the process, or like in Jousting, the spear would simply break and the guy would be killed by either the shatters if they were directed towards the gaps, or the impact... For those that do not understand that impact kills, go learn about hand grenades, those are incredible impact killers, sometimes the explosion doesn't even hit the person, but the after-wave does, which kills with air impact... Air, Impact...

Last edited:
You would not be able to kill anyone doing that, you'd only get your spear stuck and make the guy wearing the armor really angry...

Just to point out. If a spear is stuck good in plate armor, for example in the chest piece.. that means you have a pretty good lever to push against and drop the guy to the floor. If he will resist, than you both work on further penetration. So he is completely useless, even if angry. :party:

Just to point out. If a spear is stuck good in plate armor, for example in the chest piece.. that means you have a pretty good lever to push against and drop the guy to the floor. If he will resist, than you both work on further penetration. So he is completely useless, even if angry. :party:
clearly you have zero martial art training :smile: That's not how it works buddy.

clearly you have zero martial art training :smile: That's not how it works buddy.
If boxing is considered martial art, than you are very wrong. But I admit - I never held a spear in my hands. My previous post was half a joke, but seriously - if a polearm weapon is stuck in your chest plate you won't be able to move as fast. If able to move at all.

So, you are well trained with sharp spears and plate armor?

If boxing is considered martial art, than you are very wrong. But I admit - I never held a spear in my hands. My previous post was half a joke, but seriously - if a polearm weapon is stuck in your chest plate you won't be able to move as fast. If able to move at all.

It's the internet. He can appear to be whatever he wants to be. :sneaky:

If you change the spears, they will be too OP, and there will be no reason to use other weapons.

In a single player game this isn't necessarily true. As long as you can get kills and do well with other weapon sets it doesn't matter if one is a more powerful option than the others.

As an example you'll be hard pressed to find a weapon set more versatile and deadly than a horse archer with a glaive. Yet plenty of people play other weapon sets purely because they enjoy them and can still be effective at beating AI troops using them.

This is not a lack of animation, it is a game mechanic. You have to move with the strike. This is how spears work in the game. It was like that in Warband, Vikings Conquest and so in Bannerlord. If you change the spears, they will be too OP, and there will be no reason to use other weapons.

I think there are several approaches for "fixing" spear that people are talking about.

I mostly want a fix for AIs so that they use spears as primary weapon in formation and be more true to history and immersive. I'm not saying that spear is a purely formation weapon, but AIs are not really using spears to their full extent. I don't really want super-weapon spear.

It certainly is possible to achieve it. Bannerlord as an engine seems promising enough. I think the bottleneck is AI and animations but with enough time and effort Taleworlds can overcome both hurdles. If not in this game I expect brand new combat mechanics in M&B III if it is ever made.

keep dreaming

Stuck? It's STEEL not wood. Typical medieval plate armor was 2-3 mm thick. For reference a US nickel is 1.5 mm thick. Much of the steel they used was of much higher quality (higher carbon count and/or heat treated) than most of what you will commonly come across in your everyday life. Because, ya know, their lives depended on it. A spear, thrust by a man, would do **** all to a 2-3 mm thick steel plate. You may scratch it. If it were so easily defeated by such a simple, cheap and easily made weapon then why would anyone have bothered to make something as expensive and time consuming as plate armor?

Edit: Also forgot to mention, plate armor had curves all over. Good luck landing a blow that doesn't immediately glance off.

Edit2: Apologies for the stuck part, i assumed you were still speaking of spears. Didn't realize you had switched to polearms.

Last edited:
Yeap, I would like the spear to be more interesting in Bannerlord.

First thing is, at least two handed, you should be able to thrust incomparably faster than in the game right now and without signaling it. Now it feels like some 80 years old guy in slow motion.

BTW. Spears contrary to later lances had rather big blades and considering it's mass spear would kill the men on the spot.

When I see a spear with some 30cm wide blade going through head coming out another side and the guy just fighting like nothing happen?

A spear can kill you through chainmail, a spear can kill you through plate armor even. Chainmail primarily stops slashing blows, and makes you a harder target to hit square, as you will glance off at bad angles even with a spear, but a direct hit will penetrate and potentially kill. The gambeson may save you from a spear if it's very thick and paired with chainmail to allow less of the spear to reach your body as fast, but spearheads are plenty long enough (usually, there are of course exceptions) to reach through these defenses with enough force to kill you.

While the way you phrased that sentence is mild enough, I'm still debating as to what force has to be applied for a spearhead to pierce 3 mm of steel, then find its way through the thick gambeson underneath the plate, and still have enough kick to it to deal significant damage to body tissue. Unless you're fighting with some sort of a poisoned spear, just punching through all that protective gear, which is already a tremendous feat, is gonna do jack to the person inside it. My bet is that a spear thrust from horseback would shatter the spear rather than penetrate plate, although the armor wearer is still gonna be quite unhappy because of the impact (don't quote me on that, I don't claim to have any level of expertise on the matter).

Piercing through chainmail, even higher weave density mail, sounds at least more credible, but debatable nontheless. It isn't like armor was designed to resist slashes and do nothing with other, not edge-based cutting weapons - you still have to overpower the strength of linkage, then the gambeson underneath, yada yada.

A very important point to consider when discussing MnB armor in such context (though it has nothing to do with Hndzm's post, just wanna throw that thought out seeing the direction the thread itself is progressing in) is that buying plate doesn't mean you're wearing it over a bikini - the other undebatably important shock absorbing and thrust-stopping piece such as the gambeson underneath is always implied.

Back
Top Bottom