Resolved Questions about engine_module.ini file

Users who are viewing this thread

problemsolver

from this reddit thread: My comment there:
Finally a well thought attempt at stopping this game's annoying stuttering. Is there anyone with coding experience that knows exactly what this means: enable_occluder_depth_prepass = 0
For some reason this was disabled by default on my .ini file. from what i googled: Occlusion culling is a rendering optimisation technique that refers to not drawing triangles (meshes in general) that will not be visible on screen due to being occluded by (i.e. they are behind) some other solid geometry. Performing redundant shading of to-be-occluded triangles can have an impact on the GPU, such as wasted transformed vertices in the vertex shader or shaded pixels in the pixel shader, and on the CPU (performing the drawcall setup, animating skinned props etc) and should be avoided where possible. (i am asking because i don't know if this info means exactly the same as that parameter)
Upon further testing i've found that turning enable_occluder_depth_prepass = 0 to 1, helped to reduce my stutter by about 85%, keep in mind that this could very well be placebo, though it's unlikely. Since i felt a huge stutter reduction.
There is also this option disable_shadow_occlusion_pass = 1 which if try to enable it(make it 0), it makes the game crash every time. Does anyone know exactly what enable_occluder_depth_prepass is, and why it was turned off by default on my pc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
With the 1.0.8 patch, we have fixed lots of memory leaks which should highly increase the smoothness of the game. The two options are some optimizations techniques that we have tried in the past. I am not sure whether they are working right now, they may crash your game.
Im gonna try this one, if it can help me, I will write it.
Upon further testing i've found that this options is likely to make your game crash after about 20 minutes of normal gameplay. More testing is required to confirm this. (enable_occluder_depth_prepass)

From my limited experience with openGL anything labeled as a pass is generally more strain on the GPU, like multiple screen shader passes for after effects like bloom. It could also be a culling pass though the term in that ini file doesn't directly refer to occlusion culling, it's probably a term they came up with or it's something generally more experienced graphics developers know. Much of graphics dev knowledge is sort of closed of from being acessed by the general public since there is like less than 10k graphics developers in the world.

From my limited experience with openGL anything labeled as a pass is generally more strain on the GPU, like multiple screen shader passes for after effects like bloom. It could also be a culling pass though the term in that ini file doesn't directly refer to occlusion culling, it's probably a term they came up with or it's something generally more experienced graphics developers know. Much of graphics dev knowledge is sort of closed of from being acessed by the general public since there is like less than 10k graphics developers in the world.
Thanks for the info mate, so basically this shifts some strain from the cpu to the gpu? so it isn't exactly occlusion culling right? Any ideas as to why this'd be disabled by default? Maybe it wasn't totally stable? what about disable_shadow_occlusion_pass ?

I try it myself, kill some looters 5 - 6 times, run practice fights, some locations.
Looks like in battles stutters almost gone, but still have it in cities, dont know what helped, 1.0.8 or this.

I try it myself, kill some looters 5 - 6 times, run practice fights, some locations.
Looks like in battles stutters almost gone, but still have it in cities, dont know what helped, 1.0.8 or this.
Yeah i noticed this while i tested it in 1.0.7, the stutters are less common and also weaker.

Thanks for the info mate, so basically this shifts some strain from the cpu to the gpu? so it isn't exactly occlusion culling right? Any ideas as to why this'd be disabled by default? Maybe it wasn't totally stable? what about disable_shadow_occlusion_pass ?
I assume thats just ambient occlusion, aka shadow casting in general. Also probably a term they came up with if its not it. If you dont see shadows with it disabled its ambient occlusion.

this thing helped me a lot!! before i didn't it,I was having lots of drops on map in villages,map,now I'm gonna carry my game from HDD to SDD,probably i will not have any problem :grin:

I assume thats just ambient occlusion, aka shadow casting in general. Also probably a term they came up with if its not it. If you dont see shadows with it disabled its ambient occlusion.
Thank you very much for your help, i hope we get more opinions from different people to see exactly what these two are.

With the 1.0.8 patch, we have fixed lots of memory leaks which should highly increase the smoothness of the game. The two options are some optimizations techniques that we have tried in the past. I am not sure whether they are working right now, they may crash your game.

Solution
Back
Top Bottom