Lets talk smithing.

Users who are viewing this thread

IMO you should unlock new parts by smelting weapons that contain these parts.

How would this work? If I don't know how to smith a certain part, how can I possibly unlock that part by smithing that part? Isn't that like saying you can't get a job without work experience but you can't get the experience without the job?

1: Tie the unlocked traits to the actuall weapon that you are smelting. If you want to have a perk in the smithing tree that allows for random unlocks that is fine, but dont have it be the main method of unlocking components.

2: lower the amount of stamina required to craft items, or make higher experience in smithing make you use up less stamina. It takes forever to level.

3: Speaking of forever to level. Please raise the xp we get for smithing.

4: Allow us to order custom jobs (basicly smithing but an NPC makes it for us?) maybe at inflated prices? I think its abit weird that blacksmiths would only make factory standard stuff.... Also, that way if a player doesent want to grind up smithing he can still get those kind of items, so long as he pays through the nose for it! That way you can have your uber OP excaliber item but it comes at a significant price. Alternatively, it could be cool if you could tell a companion to work on that and so long as you provided the material they could build it? Maybe make the speed dependant on their skill. Or maybe make it a feature of the smith shop that you can buy. Dont know just spitballing now, lol.

5: Would be great if we could smith armor and/or shields as well. But I believe they are working on that?

6: Have things like iron, steel etc. be available in the shops as well. Currently the player is the only one who actually gain acces to it as no store actually has it in stock (or rather I have NEVER seen it?) and when they do have it its because we sold it to them. Makes no sense :meh:

7: Speaking of it beeing in store, crafted weapons should NEVER be cheaper then the raw materials. Amp up the price of weapons or significantly lower the worth of the raw resources. Also prevents people from smelting items and selling them for 5x the price as raw materials to boot. A craftsmen puts alot of time and skill into turning raw materials into an object. Given with the ease at which we can smelt things the price for the raw materials should be significantly lower then the finished product!

8: Some items are listed under completly the wrong item. I think I saw the head for the billhook listed under the 1 handed mace :unsure: dont know if theyre working on that or are aware of it but it makes for some very funky results...

9: Rather then have smithed items that are way above our level to craft have minor penalties to the stats, give us a chance to fail and lose the crafting materials? More gained XP would be a nice balancing factor but it makes no sense that we can make the best weapons so long as we have the materials for it and only marginly fail at reaching for the stars... Alternatively, maybe make items that are a certain threshold above our skill simply be impossible for us to craft. That would also avoid the issue.

Remove the stamina system, and let smithing take time. Each action takes a certain number of work hours; maybe with a small speed bonus from Smithing skill, and you can queue up to 1 day of actions at a time. With companions helping, you can fit even more actions into the queue.

The problem with raw materials prices is that those are designed/balanced for the trading, but realistically smithing should use products on a smaller scale. One way to address this could be to multiple the quantities. So for instance you would buy 10 unit of hardwood for the same price, and smelting a weapon would produce only one. It means smithing would require less products too, so the prices should be balanced. But I believe it would be more realistic. Also, once can gain only limited money from smithing, the stamina limitations can be also easied or completelt removed, as others suggested.

The problem with raw materials prices is that those are designed/balanced for the trading, but realistically smithing should use products on a smaller scale. One way to address this could be to multiple the quantities. So for instance you would buy 10 unit of hardwood for the same price, and smelting a weapon would produce only one. It means smithing would require less products too, so the prices should be balanced. But I believe it would be more realistic. Also, once can gain only limited money from smithing, the stamina limitations can be also easied or completelt removed, as others suggested.
At the moment a unit of steel is only 500g and not 50 kg like other trade goods. They could either reduce the price or make it stacks that can be depleted, with the price adjusting to that.

I wish they just removed the smitihin alltogether. The protagonist is a Bannerlord, not an artisan. Add something else instead, keep the smith in the towns but let us purchase custom made weapons and armor from there that costs a fortune. Add "quests" to the smiths that increase their options what they can create, ie by providing them with thamaskene steel by a fetch quest to get them that resource etc.

The whole smithing part feels a bit unnecessary IMHO. No real leader would ever have the time to actually become a master artisan and you can't be a weaver, a brewer, a potterer or similar, so why can you be a smith? Hell, if I was a leader sitting idle in a town, I'd be a beer brewer ten times out of ten and just pay a smith to forge me things.

Lets talk about ways smithing could be improved. The grind is way too long right now. Here's what I think.

- Increase stamina
- Increase skill gain
It needs a big rework. These are the only two points you made which I agree with. For me its such a hastle, and not worth it at all. If you want to craft a certain sword, you need to spend hours smelting and crafting random crap just praying that somehow you unlock the specific parts you want. There's gotta be a better way to do this.

It should let you spend money instead of stamina and you shouldn't have to unlock parts. I just want to commission my weapon (and, eventually, my armor hopefully) without jumping through leveling hoops.

I love the inclusion of smithing. It was the one new feature I was hyped about (above the game overall.) But it needs much love. I don't care about the costs personally, as I don't intend to use it to earn money (although making steel is way OP.) The part unlocking is atrocious, as is the stamina system. It needs removed completely if not significantly increased. Travelling on the map should count to restore stamina if they keep it in.

I can't make anything even close to what I can buy with my smithing at 75 and still only have three sword blades (the warsword, tournament, and wooden blades.) The highest damage I can get is 53 with the other parts I have unlocked. I won a tournament sword that does 73 and was better in almost every other stat. I don't want to make an overpowered kill-all sword, but something at least in line with what's for sale would be a good start.

It needs a big rework. These are the only two points you made which I agree with. For me its such a hastle, and not worth it at all. If you want to craft a certain sword, you need to spend hours smelting and crafting random crap just praying that somehow you unlock the specific parts you want. There's gotta be a better way to do this.

Unlocking parts makes sense, from a progression standpoint. Unlocking via smelting does make some sense, but not as the only way to get new parts.

There should also be the ability to train under an NPC (spend money) to learn new parts, unlocking some parts as a natural part of leveling up the skill, as well as maybe finding schematics as a reward for clearing out hideouts or something.

I think it should also be expanded to include armors (for more customization mainly).

I do get that it's just a basic implementation right now, and I think TW is aware and will flesh it out more later. It's probably low on the priority list right now (as it should be, given all the other issues and things to implement, such as getting all the perks working and kingdom management).

I also think that you should be able to directly buy ingredients like charcoal, maybe all the way up to steel, and do quests or more complicated trades for fine steel and the fancier steel. That would be a fun interaction with ironmonger merchants or Smith artisans!
Yeh thats kinda weird personally too i found often is more lucrative just to sell charcoal you made off all those 2 gold wood hammers for 36 their should be other "blacksmiths" making those things too maybe you get from towns with a smity

What might be fun is to have the amounts of materials you're carrying affect the probability of unlocking a certain tier of parts. So the more wrought iron you're carrying, the more likely you'll unlock tier 1 parts. Iron 2, steel 3, fine steel 4, thamaskene 5.

I use a mod that disables stamina entirely, and it is still an absolute slog. Also, the idea that you figure out completely random and unrelated weapon parts as you work is idiotic. I do not need a goddamn dagger handle, when I'm working on making pikes. Not to mention the fact that I dont intend to smith daggers. Ever.

While I agree that you should learn parts based on what you smith/smelt. Having a chance at learning a new thing randomly I wouldn't mind. Maybe you figure out a Sword handle - That could be translated into a spear guard as a bonus, or an Axe handle to a spear handle etc.

That said, Stamina is very realistic. Even just smelting metals you will get tired from heat fatigue in the foundry required to smelt said metal and you wouldn't just "Walk away and relax" while it melts/heats up as you needed to pay attention to it and add/remove heat with the use of a blower or more fuel.

Though for gameplay purposes I think they should increase the stamina for certain actions. Albeit weapon crafting could take the better part of weeks in real life.

I wish they just removed the smitihin alltogether. The protagonist is a Bannerlord, not an artisan. Add something else instead, keep the smith in the towns but let us purchase custom made weapons and armor from there that costs a fortune. Add "quests" to the smiths that increase their options what they can create, ie by providing them with thamaskene steel by a fetch quest to get them that resource etc.

The whole smithing part feels a bit unnecessary IMHO. No real leader would ever have the time to actually become a master artisan and you can't be a weaver, a brewer, a potterer or similar, so why can you be a smith? Hell, if I was a leader sitting idle in a town, I'd be a beer brewer ten times out of ten and just pay a smith to forge me things.

Totally agree, should pay the town smith to make you things. Current system feels like some browser MMO that's trying to make you buy stamina potions for $1.99 each. I want to play mount and blade not idle clicker 2020.

Remove the stamina system, and let smithing take time. Each action takes a certain number of work hours; maybe with a small speed bonus from Smithing skill, and you can queue up to 1 day of actions at a time. With companions helping, you can fit even more actions into the queue.
This makes the most sense. Companions should be able to decrease time required as well as a workshop you owned in the town, along with perks and simply increased smithing skill. Smelting and refining should take almost no time while armor should take the most (when they add it).

As much as I dislike this stamina system, I wouldn't want to see swords take a day either, and then not knowing how they'll turn out.

Plus, wtf with literally having to wait around for stamina to replenish? Why doesn't it replenish with the simple passing of time? I can smith then go trading and battling for an entire year and I still wouldn't be able to smith again because I didn't wait for a day.

Back
Top Bottom