Couched lance tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright, this is bloody embarrassing for someone who's been playing this game since the old M&B days... but in Bannerlord I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a couched lance. Well, that's not true. The enemy's horses die all the time (after I gave up trying to hit the riders)... I just can't hit the damned riders. Or anyone on the ground. Shot right through a crowd without hitting a single person, somehow.

Part of it is that I found a bloody long pole to use as a lance -- just over 200 in measure, if memory serves -- but when the thing is in couched position, I can't see where the thing is aiming.

Anybody got tips for a veteran who's suddenly lost his touch? How are you getting the lance tips to connect? The angles from Warband don't seem to do the trick.

I never succed in couched lance in Bannerlord even if I was doing it all the time in WB, I even thought that this feature had disappered, so I completely abandon cav.

Alright, this is bloody embarrassing for someone who's been playing this game since the old M&B days... but in Bannerlord I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a couched lance. Well, that's not true. The enemy's horses die all the time (after I gave up trying to hit the riders)... I just can't hit the damned riders. Or anyone on the ground. Shot right through a crowd without hitting a single person, somehow.

Part of it is that I found a bloody long pole to use as a lance -- just over 200 in measure, if memory serves -- but when the thing is in couched position, I can't see where the thing is aiming.

Anybody got tips for a veteran who's suddenly lost his touch? How are you getting the lance tips to connect? The angles from Warband don't seem to do the trick.

My best results so far came from moving the aim to the right as far as possible to at least get a glimpse of the lance's tip and drive it home. Alternatively, switching to first person seems to be the only effective way of hitting anything.
The couched lance system is really purely designed, compared to Warband, and it is gravely further hindered by the fact things behind the character remain visible in third person. That makes it close to impossible to hit anything while in a wooded area, couched or otherwise. That's pretty much videogame design 101, to make sure anything behind your character is not visible, yet apparently TaleWorlds forgot...

You haven't lost touch. The game plays differently, and I feel more rewarding as a result.

Initially I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and my Spear/Shield Combo on looters early got me murdered more often than I'd like to admit (As it did with many people I watch on youtube) what I found worked for me, was using the hit indicator results as feedback. I noticed when I was hitting it was headshots. Basically only headshots, Well that's odd. I felt like I was aiming at their chest. I started aiming down a bit more ( Horses in Bannerlord have actual height. We're on Warhorses now, not Circus Ponies) so you have to aim down as a result. I can reliably land hits with the Menavilon Spear which is like 170 ish length. Though my prefered start weapon is the Imperial Spear (181 length) or the Triangle head spear (191).

So, Find some Looters, Aim for what you think would be Warband appropriate, and then aim another like half a head down. Take note of where you hit. Head/Neck/Chest and Adjust from there.

As for aiming while couched, you'll have to line up a little before contact, and just go with it. Follow through is the key, don't be trying to adjust mid-lance with jerk movements. Just very small ones until you get an idea of where the spear tip is.

You haven't lost touch. The game plays differently, and I feel more rewarding as a result.

Initially I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and my Spear/Shield Combo on looters early got me murdered more often than I'd like to admit (As it did with many people I watch on youtube) what I found worked for me, was using the hit indicator results as feedback. I noticed when I was hitting it was headshots. Basically only headshots, Well that's odd. I felt like I was aiming at their chest. I started aiming down a bit more ( Horses in Bannerlord have actual height. We're on Warhorses now, not Circus Ponies) so you have to aim down as a result. I can reliably land hits with the Menavilon Spear which is like 170 ish length. Though my prefered start weapon is the Imperial Spear (181 length) or the Triangle head spear (191).

So, Find some Looters, Aim for what you think would be Warband appropriate, and then aim another like half a head down. Take note of where you hit. Head/Neck/Chest and Adjust from there.

As for aiming while couched, you'll have to line up a little before contact, and just go with it. Follow through is the key, don't be trying to adjust mid-lance with jerk movements. Just very small ones until you get an idea of where the spear tip is.

I agree. The feel is just a bit different from M&B which really throws off your timing. Distance and camera angles are different so you have to get used to it. In fact, I hated a lance/spear in M&B but find them one of the most satisfying weapons in Bannerlord. I would go as far as saying that combat is definitely improved and rewarding though the slow skill ups kind of ruin it since even tier 3 troops can swing their weapon faster than you since they usually have 40-60 more weapons skill than you.

As far as the Couch lance, I have figured it out but I hardly ever use it. You just hit X once your up to speed (there will be an icon in the lower right corner indicating when you are at speed) and charge the enemy. The easiest way to hit it just point your horse straight at the enemy you want to hit and run them over. This is disappointing and unrealistic as you would never do this but if you try to offset you tip to the left or right, like you would normally use a couched lance, you miss every time. This is my one left down on combat so far. (Aside from the fact I wish their was auto-block since I suck on foot).

I agree. The feel is just a bit different from M&B which really throws off your timing. Distance and camera angles are different so you have to get used to it. In fact, I hated a lance/spear in M&B but find them one of the most satisfying weapons in Bannerlord. I would go as far as saying that combat is definitely improved and rewarding though the slow skill ups kind of ruin it since even tier 3 troops can swing their weapon faster than you since they usually have 40-60 more weapons skill than you.

As far as the Couch lance, I have figured it out but I hardly ever use it. You just hit X once your up to speed (there will be an icon in the lower right corner indicating when you are at speed) and charge the enemy. The easiest way to hit it just point your horse straight at the enemy you want to hit and run them over. This is disappointing and unrealistic as you would never do this but if you try to offset you tip to the left or right, like you would normally use a couched lance, you miss every time. This is my one left down on combat so far. (Aside from the fact I wish their was auto-block since I suck on foot).

I have also noticed this to be the easiest way to couch, but it also seems that it is surprisingly difficult to do this without enemies landing a hit on your horse? Even if I kill them, they still manage to land a hit. I would have expected the reach of the lance to make that impossible as long as you hit them.

I find the opposite actually. I hold the couched lance, maybe 35-45 Degrees outward, and hit reliably with the couched lance. Dealing upwards of 500 damage on most hits. I did use the "Run over" technique to get used to my Lance's distance, and after a few hits could use the Lance as intended. I also find that I can aim my spear better across my horse, rather than beside it. Which does two things -- Keeps you shielded (in the case you use a shield) and allows you to see the spear tip easier.

I too, am finding combat much more enjoyable. Especially the Shield block angles. I never played warband with Autoblock, so it wasn't really a shock for me, but I understand why players may want autoblock. As long as like in Warband its a toggle feature, that's fine by me. I enjoy manual block.

Edit to Reply to Edie: Some spears can couch but don't have suitable distance for Lancing. In that case it becomes a game of skill where you need to know the spatial distancing to hit them and not be hit. I got destroyed by looters with Pitchforks early, even though they have like 120 Length and my Spear had 190. It all comes down to practice.

I never succed in couched lance in Bannerlord even if I was doing it all the time in WB, I even thought that this feature had disappered, so I completely abandon cav.

I leveled polearms from 15 to 120 with couched lance only. You just need a lance that can be couched and press "x" as soon as you are fats enough.

With 80 in riding and a special horse won in a tournament, I was able to get the speed within the shortest time and had extreme small turning rates.

Couched lance hits deal 200 to 1200 damage. But I think much higher values are possible.

Biggest issue is that the length of couched lance hits is too low. Looters with dinner forks can stop your charge.

There is a mod for auto block now. Works perfectly.

There should be tree sources of increasing ride skill.
1:Mounted archery.
2: Riding around at speed.
3: Mounted melee.

Currently, I feel like 3 doesn't really work. You get the little trickle from 2 but that's all. A short stint with a bow will increase your ride skill as much as a couple of days of mounted melee will.Is that the impression you guys have too or have I been eating too many disco biscuits?

Couched lance is really hard.

What I have done that gives the best results (but still sucks) is move my lance point all the way to the right, then try to drag it to the left just before impact.

They really need to do something about the couch lance mechanic, as it is simply not a very effective tactic right now.

I needed a little bit to adjust as well, couching was way too easy in Warband, and here you actually have to aim.
So my suggestion would be to aim at your target (infantry chest probably easiest) as you get close enough to hit them- basically putting the target just below the middle of ur screen as ur running towards it and it should hit every time, it works for me

Anytime I go in for a couch, I pop into first person view (default "r" key) to make it a bit easier to aim my lance. But I agree that it is more difficult to land a couch lance in bannerlord.

Some great tips in here. Thanks, folks!

And yes, I know how to couch a lance. It was getting the strikes that was a problem. The spear tip either couldn't be seen due to the camera angle, or when it could it wasn't.landing hits when it looked like it should.

I've got some new ideas to work with now.

Spears and lances are more effective against cavalry when you use the overhead attack, Ultimately I find the hit detection in this game is superior and thus more rewarding in general.

Spears and lances are more effective against cavalry when you use the overhead attack, Ultimately I find the hit detection in this game is superior and thus more rewarding in general.

My very first experience with collision mesh detection in Bannerlord came from the tutorial, which I decided to follow all the way through. Even repeated certain elements several times so I could get the hang of the new mechanics.

Like the melee riding course. In prior versions of M&B, the sweeping backhand during a ride-by used to be my specialty. I could time it to the point where I could swerve and avoid a spear strike while taking my opponent across the face and ending the fight with one shot... but now I just couldn't hit that bloody clay jug, no matter how often I tried it, unless I was right beside it, and essentially hammering it with the bottom 1/3 of the blade. Basically a horribly inefficient strike that should be doing minimal damage, rather than being the only hit that works. The tip of the blade never seemed to connect, no matter what angle I used.

Finally, out of frustration, I said 'screw it' to the time, and parked my horse right beside that damned clay jug and started taking backhanded swings at it, examining it from every angle. The bloody top 1/3 of the blade was passing through. Only when I rode up and used that crap swing again, did it connect.

Hit registration feels wonky for some because it *is* wonky. And inconsistent. Perhaps that varies depending on the target, the weapon, or some other bug that we don't know about yet. But the fact remains that the sword passed through the target. It's now, against all logic, easier to use short weapons from horseback rather than the long ones that are supposed to be designed for cavalry. A 70-80 length axe will take infantry in the head as you ride by, no problem. Use a 105-115 length sword designed for that purpose, and it will whiff unless you time it so that you're swinging when they're at your horse's nose; logic would dictate that if you swing a little later, that more of the weight of the blade will land on the target, and drag the edge along them as you ride by -- but that's not how this works. Instead, despite having the same swing arc and same placement of bodies in relation to each other on a medial axis, the weapon now whiffs entirely. Not even reduced damage from a (debatable) less efficient swing, but a miss entirely.

Combat functions well enough to work in general. I suspect there are several tweaks yet to come, however -- both to actual combat, and to the way the AI uses weapons. Or perhaps the reason why even the AI struggles with spears and longer swords, but does just fine with shorter weapons and missile weapons, is the same reason some players seem to. Time will tell.

(Edit: All that said; I'll definitely try the overhand attack with cavalry, and see if that makes a difference. Given the angle of the spear and how it points down, it seemed like it would be more efficient to use that on infantry. I'll try the reverse.)

Back
Top Bottom