Snowball Prevention

Users who are viewing this thread

Thistle

Veteran
If you had to make a cassus belli to declare war on a faction and it was just for one town/City and attached villages like in ck2, this would prevent snowballing, right?

Because like a snowball, when it gets larger it has a bigger surface area so collects snow at an increasing rate.

Imo casus belli system doesn't fit bannerlord. All factions are vying for control of calradia so they have a de jure empire casus belli in ck 2 terms.

I think sieges should be made harder and captured cities should suffer heavy unrest or rebel if the capturing army doesn't focus on holding it for a time (armies can't capture multiple cities at once without some of them rebelling in a day or two, high enough military presence of lord parties prevents rebellion and slowly builds loyalty, recruitment from captured cities should be disabled during the unrest to make lords unable to immediately refill their army).

Factions which have weakened their armies (one or two sieges should cause major losses to the attacking army), gained their objectives, are in a losing war or are in too many wars at once should prefer to make peace. Also feasts and lord tournaments for peacetime. Weak factions should form defensive pacts and act as a single army to destroy a larger factions snowball.

perhaps when one faction begins to dominate and poses a threat, other factions declare war on it and perhaps even temporarily conclude peace among themselves.

combining calradia should be a daunting task

how, for me, in this way it would be possible to make the capture of the entire card really more complicated than that and would cause more excitement for the players, capture all the cards as an epic achievement

Last edited:
It would be enough two things:
1) that an ai faction at war can’t declare other wars (but it can be attacked by other factions)
2) that a faction which ends a war usually wait a period like 15-20 days before being able to declare new wars (but it still may be attacked)
2b) i said two things but also this one is importan for balancing: that ai factions will prefer to attack factions sharing the borders and already at war (like a plus 50% of chance to declare war on that if respected piunts 1 and 2)
I suppose these things would balance the campaigns a lot or at least would make tge behaviors of factions more logic

Maybe we could even have fighting between vassals for land

I believe they said rebellion could be a feature, just not yet.

I think right now a big part is that lords are going broke with how the economy currently works. I'm hoping they'll release a patch today to try to fix that, as a dev said they were looking into adjusting that, among other things, to fix the snowballing.

Just give each lord clan a caravan instead of these random ones that roam around, that would fix the issue without giving the lords arbitrary amounts of money, they should probably also set a limit that they won't spend money beneath like 5k denars or something, that way everything should work well enough.

I think right now a big part is that lords are going broke with how the economy currently works.
This is the problem. Once a lord loses a single battle, he needs money to recruit more troops, but the upkeep cost for his remaining troops means that he can't afford it. The lord who wins his first battle gains money in the form of loot, and can afford to replace losses. The winning lord then goes on to beat another weak lord who has lost a previous battle, taking whatever little bit that lord has left, and the situation just keeps getting more one-sided. Like a snowball rolling downhill, it can grow to massive size.

The solutions are to provide enough of a passive steady income for defeated lords to regain their original size after a couple of weeks, and NOT recruit past the point where they can afford to pay and feed their armies on that income. As it is, they just sit there until besieged, or are easy prey for routine bandits if they leave. A lord should be able to draw a FEW troops from his castle garrison, but should prioritize replacing them as soon as new recruits are found, rather than leaving the garrison depleted for more than a couple of days.

It would also help if nearby lords would come to the assistance of nearby castles under siege, provided that relations between the besieged and his neighbors is decent, rather than having the winner of a field battle then able to besiege the defeated lord, and nobody intervene. Once a faction reaches a significant size, the other factions should prioritize them as an enemy, making it increasingly difficult to "blob" too far beyond a faction's initial boundaries. Newly taken castles should require a decent garrison or risk being re-taken, slowing any snowballing when a garrison is created from the besieger's army and while replacements are recruited for that army. Villages and towns recently taken should have a risk of rebellion, where you have to go in with troops and suppress it by force, or have it revert back to its previous owners if left in rebellion for too long. Basically, if you take it, you should have to work to hold it until it accepts its new owner.

In any kind of "balanced" strategy game, you need "economies of scale", where it pays to grow because you simply have "more" than the next guy. The big tend to get bigger, at least until they don't. There are also "diseconomies of scale", where costs increase exponentially with size, as communications take longer, your troops have far more perimeter to cover, responsibilities in distant locations need to be delegated, leading to inefficiency and corruption, and you have competing centers of power and wealth competing and backstabbing within your realm. Push to hard and grow too large, and you're facing multiple hostile opponents ganging up to stop you, revolts from within, and reduced income due to inefficiencies. The trick is to make it beneficial to grow, but difficult to grow BIG, so expanding slightly isn't difficult, but it takes a tremendous effort and skill to conquer the entire map in spite of the increasing difficulty.

It's just so confusing seeing a company produce an amazing sandbox game that did everything well in 2011, and in 2020 release a sequel that is 2 steps back with regards to playability and features. All the problems that Bannerlord has, weren't in Warband. How could that happen? You had one job TW, make Warband 2. That's all you had to do. JFC

i think all other npc lords must have something like "attack bar". when this bar is full, it's like they have fatigue, they wont be able to attack ( they can defend themselves) any npc or join any siegs that his/her lords iinvite him/her. this way they would stay passive for a time. and their rivals attack and gain power. maybe this is a very ameteur idea but i guess it can be polished right? im saying , the powerful lords need an attack cooldown.

Imo casus belli system doesn't fit bannerlord. All factions are vying for control of calradia so they have a de jure empire casus belli in ck 2 terms.

I think sieges should be made harder and captured cities should suffer heavy unrest or rebel if the capturing army doesn't focus on holding it for a time (armies can't capture multiple cities at once without some of them rebelling in a day or two, high enough military presence of lord parties prevents rebellion and slowly builds loyalty, recruitment from captured cities should be disabled during the unrest to make lords unable to immediately refill their army).

Factions which have weakened their armies (one or two sieges should cause major losses to the attacking army), gained their objectives, are in a losing war or are in too many wars at once should prefer to make peace. Also feasts and lord tournaments for peacetime. Weak factions should form defensive pacts and act as a single army to destroy a larger factions snowball.

THIS

It's just so confusing seeing a company produce an amazing sandbox game that did everything well in 2011, and in 2020 release a sequel that is 2 steps back with regards to playability and features. All the problems that Bannerlord has, weren't in Warband. How could that happen? You had one job TW, make Warband 2. That's all you had to do. JFC

The game is early access you have the right to criticize the game but it is not a full release it's not going to be anything near finished nor is it going to be as polished as Warband when it was fully released.

The snowballing were not so fast if there were just a harder option to overtake the lord. Most of them is just taking whole citys and castles after they see that their fraction is losing. I mean if they leave and let the castle to the fraction they was it were not so easy for the conquers to snowball whole fractions in 50 days.

Back
Top Bottom