SP Fantasy The Island - Shipwrecked - (Discontinued)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey. Glad to see an update for this mod. I never played it through in the past, because of the 0.751 release at that time. Watch the next release come out this week  :shock:

BUG REPORT: After joining the Sea Raiders, I got a mission to get 15 Farmers as prisoners. Talking to Gorn about the mission leads to a "dead end dialogue". I had to ALT+F4 out of the game.

Woops, sorry about that, just checked the dialog file, apparently I left out some of the dialog.

Corrected that, along with some other minor bugs. Made a few changes to the quest dialogs so you dont get the "cant think of a quest" message near as much (I had accidentally left it a bit too open when you were lower level, as it was checking for quests that you couldnt get yet due to level limit).  Went ahead and fixed the Gorn fighting dialogs as well. I was trying to get a 1 on 1 fight possibility with Gorn, but when I realised how much of a pain it was to try to do from the world map without forcing the player to run back to the sea raider base, I decided against it.

Also changed the quest points you get for missions a little bit. The early quests (equipment and such) give a bit more, since before they werent really worth doing, and the hard quests like capturing a high level troop or on Gorn's part fighting off the bountyhunters that are after you give more points as well (before they were about the same as other missions like capture nobleman)

I Cant think of anything else that I need to work on right now. Tell me if you find something else. Nothing that I changed should require you to start a new game, and you should be able to just load right before the problem with the dialog and finish the quest normally now.

Nice MageLord. One other thing I noticed the first run through. When I went to kill Gorn, he ended up being the only enemy on the battlefield, vs. my whole army. This was during the first fight when the dialogue states something about "Gorn and his men" appear or something.

Anyway, thanks a million for less "I could come up with a mission ..." messages. And a good idea to keep Raiders and Capture Nobleman away from level 4 characters. I really enjoy this mod.

Is your source code available? I'd perhaps like to think about using your map (to be modified) and your story in ExtraNPC mod (now includes Dionisia mod! *end shameless plugs*). I aim to make a mod where the PC has many different quests and storylines that they can take. This whole mod makes a very intelligent starting point for any mod really. A nice explanation of why you are in Calradia, and the ability to join the Sea Raiders :smile:

Yeah I fixed the Gorn fight as well, it should be giving him lots of troops now. The Gorn party has no troops with it normally, but the dialog adds them when it spawns him. I did that so I could use one party with Gorn in it for every instance of him appearing. I was planning on making a way to get good with his group through advancing in rank and then challenge him for leadership, thus him having less troops and you getting part of the troops yourself, but I never got around to it. If it doesn’t work tell me and I'll give it another look, but it worked fine the last time I ran through.

It's a pretty tough fight; those sea raiders are pretty harsh and can really mop the floor with you if you don’t have good troops. Joining him was intended to be done as early as possible (as soon as you can find him), but killing him was supposed to be a tough boss fight. I was going to make it so that once you killed him you could take over the base, but I got lazy and just made it kill the guys in the base and destroy most of the sea raider parties. Another planned feature that I never got around to sticking in was the ability to eventually challenge the leaders of the various cities (eventually the faction lord himself) to conquer them for your faction. Maybe in the future, if I ever get around to it :razz:

I'll put the source up on the repository, but its not the cleanest of source codes.

I have a good many comments, but not everything is commented, and some is just pasted in from Janus' source or just edited versions of it.

The map is just the txt file, since there isn’t a python file for the map. If you wanted to use it you could just paste that map.txt into another mod (it doesn’t include the locations of the parties though, that’s in the parties file).

I probably inadvertently cut out some of the 7.51 changes when I was swapping it over as well, since I just used some of my original files, like the dialog one (not sure what dialog changes might have come with 7.51, if any) and the others have big chunks pasted in over the original stuff.

So feel free to snip whatever you want out of those for your own uses.

edit - wow, I just noticed how tiny my source files are compared to other ones, and part of it is the Arena mod. Shows how small my mod is :razz:, although a good bit of the work I did is stuff I replaced, like the troops file.

TheMageLord said:
So feel free to snip whatever you want out of those for your own uses.

Thanks MageLord!

TheMageLord said:
edit - wow, I just noticed how tiny my source files are compared to other ones, and part of it is the Arena mod. Shows how small my mod is :razz:, although a good bit of the work I did is stuff I replaced, like the troops file.

Hey, graphics alone does not make a good mod! What you did with a story and options, plus tweaks to vanilla functionality, make it a good mod. It's not the size of the mod, but how you use it :grin:

I fought Grom and umm.... I now have 53 sea raiders in my party. I'm guessing that's not supposed to happen. Other than that, sweet mod, I love the chu ko nu's. :smile:

lmao, did I somehow get it to add to the wrong party? I know I changed a bit of the dialog, I must have messed it up. I was thinking I tested that...

Lol I just checked, I dont know how it slipped past as I was sure I tested it, but I had a 1 in place of a 0. Surprising how much different the effect is with a typo like that :razz:

Instead of reg(0) reference as the party to add them to, I had reg(1), which referred to the player's party.

Eh, seems kind of stupid to download the whole module again because of a 1 instead of a 0, so I'll just put the dialog.txt file on there to replace it with as an option. I will update the zip too but if you dont want to dl the whole thing just get the conversation.txt and overwrite the old one with it. Unless you want the gorn fight to be a joke where you get 53 of his men to help kill poor lonesome Gorn. . .

Thats a funny slip though. I had fought the battle earlier and it worked fine, then I moved some conversation around, and made the Gorn troops a set number instead of a random thing, and accidentally put the 1 instead of the 0 when retyping that little line.

I'm glad you like it, ive been having fun with it myself :razz:, and yeah the chu ko nu is fun. Too bad I cant animate it, it looks kind of strange without the lever action.

BUG REPORT: For some reason, your character's inventory items keep getting shuffled around. I never saw this before in any other mod. It was happening in 1.41, I had forgot to mention it. For instance, if I have three horses as my first three inventory items, and then I access my inventory screen later, the horses aren't the first three items anymore. It makes for accidentally selling things you want to keep, as I have gotten into the habit of quickly "selling everything except the first N inventory slots.

Also, I forgot to mention about 1.41, when you join Gorn, you are no longer a member of any of the two factions, whichever side you joined, but you are still an enemy of one side. I think that you should become an enemy of both sides, or return to neutral. However, if you are an enemy of both sides, the map would need more Neutral towns :smile:

I noticed that weird inventory shuffle too, but I have no idea what might have caused it. I dont think I changed anything that would affect the inventory like that. I'll look into it, but I don't really know what to look for...

As for the enemy thing, it does make sense that if you make war with one and then join a neutral side you'll still be at war with the first one :smile:

Gorn isn't really an enemy to either side of the conflict. Hes more at war with the Zendar manhunters since they hurt his business, and the only time he gets involved with the other sides is when he can make some money. If you want to be at war with both you can just attack a prisoner party or caravan.

edit - actually I just loaded my game, got the inventory issue, and noticed the error "unmatched else_try", which was causing the shuffle. So its a trigger problem. And while looking through the trigger file I noticed that I forgot to declare the mercenary party for the hidden base... which means it will be using the player's party for its hiring. Damn, I forgot all the little things in the conversion to 7.51 :grin: I fixed them both, but I think this means a player would have to start a new game to get the town set up properly, so if someone wanted to hire sea raiders from Gorn theyd have to start a new game. Im going to look for more problems before I upload yet another new version, and try to weed out another batch of glitchs. I dont want to have a new version up every 8 hours :razz:

So the bugs are fixed but the version up there doesnt have the fixs yet. I'll upload it in a day or so after I do some more searching to see if I can find anymore bugs to fix. Im definitely having a bumpy re-release, but I guess its expected the way I slapped it all together for 7.51 :razz:

I just noticed another interesting little thing :grin:

The 7.51 version changed the way ammo is counted. Instead of taking it away every shot, it takes it away when you reload. This makes my Chu Ko Nu fire 10 shots for every bolt you have, so a bag of 20 fires 200 times. Quite economical, eh? lol...

I just got finished filling a rather large group of gouyians (and the ground, heh heh) with a few hundred bolts. Fun, but kinda silly. I wonder if theres a setting to make it use one ammo for every shot...

BUG REPORT: When asking factions for forgiveness, the quests aren't cleared. Also, the faction states are glitched. You can make peace with a warring faction, but the original faction still shows cities as green, an Ally.

Also, when talking to the Sea Raider Tavernkeeper, hiring troops just shows your own party on the left.

The faction forgiveness thing is one of the things I think I left the same from vanilla. I was just playing with it myself; it does look rather messed up. It might be a problem with the change to 7.51; I'll look at the 7.51 files and see if mine differ. I might just have the old 7.3 version that no longer works correctly, or maybe I did change it and just forgot... I think the faction states are fine. it's just the dialog allowing you to make peace even when your working for the other faction if you switch back and forth.

The sea raider hiring thing I mentioned in my previous post, I forgot to declare the mercenary party for the hidden base, so it’s not picking a party up for them correctly. I was thinking of putting in a catch that detects that in dialog and sets it in addition to fixing it for new games, so people won’t have to start over if they are working for Gorn.

I might just make it so that the two warring factions are independent of joining Gorn, but then the capture a nobleman might seem odd if your capturing your own faction's noblemen for Gorn.

It will be a few days before I get the next version uploaded though, lots of other things are coming up. I’m taking classes at Sam Houston State University, one of which is Business Communication, and my professor is a bit homework happy. Last class she gave out an assignment to write 2 memos and a business letter for the next class period. Did that, turned it in, and get handed back a previous memo we did last week. We have to correct the previous memo and on top of that write another memo and another business letter for different situations. That along with my other four classes is limiting my free time a wee bit :smile:

Sorry for not updating it, been a hectic week for me. Hate to do it, but I'm going to just retire this mod. Don't have that many folks playing it anymore, and changing it to .751 made it buggy. I had fun making the mod (and fun playing it), but all things must come to an end.

My plan was to come back and piddle with it and get a .751 release out, but I don't really have the time, and since the next version is coming up soon I would just have to do it all again. I may eventually come back and play with it again, but for now the mod is, as they say, canned.

TheMageLord said:
Sorry for not updating it, been a hectic week for me. Hate to do it, but I'm going to just retire this mod. Don't have that many folks playing it anymore, and changing it to .751 made it buggy. I had fun making the mod (and fun playing it), but all things must come to an end.

My plan was to come back and piddle with it and get a .751 release out, but I don't really have the time, and since the next version is coming up soon I would just have to do it all again. I may eventually come back and play with it again, but for now the mod is, as they say, canned.
Why dont you upload the source to someone/somewhere so that someone else can carry on the good work? Although you've lost time and faith in it, you'd be surprised at how inspirational a partial work can be to another budding modder!

the source is on the repository from a few days ago, Hardcode picked up a few bits of it for his mod. It still has a good many bugs in it from the conversion though. If anyone wants to pick it up and do something with parts of it or even as a whole, feel free. I may eventually come back to M&B modding, but I'll probably just be content to play all those other great mods out there :smile:

Back
Top Bottom