The impossibility of sieges

Users who are viewing this thread

vicjun

Recruit
I give up. It's nearly impossible to conquer a castle or city in this mod, especially if you play as the French. English longbowmen are just mobile insta-kill machines. It's not fun that you instantly die as soon as you manage to climb the walls. The game's seige AI is already appalling, but the longbowmen really make it impossible to even approach a castle. At least it's pretty fast to build ladders, so I can take over a castle after 5-6 tries, outnumbering the enemy 5 to 1 (I wouldn't even dare try to take over a city). But the problem is castles that you have to take over with siege towers (which one it is is apparently random?). Those are slow. I really mean, slow. I have time to go to the store to buy ingredients for a 5 course meal, prepare it, eat it, watch a movie, and then when I come back to the game, the siege tower has come halfway to the castle, and 70 % of my troops have been killed by standing right in the open like retards.

Is there a way to speed up siege towers? Some file I can edit to make English longbowmen a lot less powerful? Some mod that makes sieges easier so they don't exponentially slow down game progress (eg adding more ladders)?

vicjun said:
English longbowmen are just mobile insta-kill machines.

Oh really?

"... In the war against the Welsh, one of the men of arms was struck by an arrow shot at him by a Welshman. It went right through his thigh, high up, where it was protected inside and outside the leg by his iron cuirasses, and then through the skirt of his leather tunic; next it penetrated that part of the saddle which is called the alva or seat; and finally it lodged in his horse, driving so deep that it killed the animal."

They actually were mobile insta-kill machines...

Yes I know, but with the flawed siege mechanics in this game conquering castles and towns is nearly impossible...

Because they couldn't be arsed to invent C4 and modern stealth tactics to blow the walls at night, and then charge at dawn?

It is hard to play as the French for more reasons than that. The "best" French unit is supposed to be the Chevalier, but they are "bugged" to have horrible stats that make them tanks that can't do crap for damage. The French troop tree is also unfinished. Many French units also have skills that don't make sense compared to their British counterparts. This is easily fixed using a troop editor and I wish the developer for this mod would just release a hotfix; the problem does not take long to fix. I feel bad for people fighting for France in this mod for their first time, because I'm sure most of them don't know that "bugs" are keeping their troops from being effective.

Meanwhile, you can just get a troop editor and fix it yourself. That's what I did.

Munx said:
why you think the war lasted so long ?  :roll:
Well, considering France won it at the end...
Anyway, I smell an anglo-centric mod here  :roll:
Not a big surprise though, but com'on make it balanced even if you dont plan to play as France.

Accusing me of racism are ya'?  :razz:

Na, j/k. The reason it's unbalanced right now is because I was inspired to work do more work on the English than on the French. It will be fixed, trust me.

There are several things I will do to fix the balance issues.

My previous post wasnt meant to be aggressive, Llew2.
You did an awesome work with the mod so far :smile:
But a little more balance couldnt hurt.
Something like making the xbows more accurate, deadlier but way longer to reload.
Thus excellent during sieges and for small groups vs small groups fights or castle sieges.
And longbowmen very tough "en masse" good for outside battles.
In one word, historically accurate  :mrgreen:

I think easiest way to fix this is to implement rhodok troop tree to french instead of swadian.

Rhodok recruits became crossbowmen in only one upgrade and this is a distinct advantage. Also historically accurate, crossbows takes less time to train.

If  its possible, could you disable the auto-refill of arrows during a siege for the defender? If Longbowmen hadnt had indefinete ammuntion your Frenchies with crossbows acutally had some chance withstanding the starting storm of arrows and death behind their shields and sniping around with their crossbows afterwards. Especially since their ammo will last longer due to slower rate of fire.

I reckon that would help a lot. 2 quivers for the English, 1 pack of bolts for the frenchies

No idea. I personally have never noticed this script in effect, but that's probably because all my sieges are over real quick.  :razz:

Well, I think there´s something like that in Native Expansion. And such a feature would give a whole new aspect to the F5 key. "Archers, hold your fire! Dont waste shafts, goddamnit! They´re closing in, Ladders on the wall.... Ready... Pull... Fire at will! --> Massacre of French, Chapter MDCCCIXII

Cride said:
They actually were mobile insta-kill machines...

Except that's a quote pertaining to the Welsh, who probably weren't using longbows. Giraldus Cambrensis, the source of that quote, states "Yet the bows used by this people are not made of horn, ivory, or yew, but of wild elm; unpolished, rude, and uncouth, but stout; not calculated to shoot an arrow to a great distance, but to inflict very severe wounds in close fight."* Doesn't sound very longbow-like, does it?

*http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/text/chap_page.jsp?t_id=Cambrensis_Tour&c_id=6

Draksen said:
Something like making the xbows more accurate, deadlier but way longer to reload.
Or perhaps make them very accurate, reload very fast, but are not as deadly (7 damage). Weren't the English Longbowmen famous for sending thousands of shafts raining down on their enemies. Perhaps that could be replicated with lots of shafts but not much damage? (No more 'insta-killer machines')

So far I have upped the damage and lowered the re-load time of crossbows. I haven't don't extensive testing, but I think I like the result.

I am also making the warhorses much more vulnerable. No more tanking into a horde of infantry and stopping to take a chop or two; you will now have to keep the charge going forward to prevent it from getting bogged down and hacked to pieces. I did up the charge damage of horses.

Back
Top Bottom