The Eagle and the Wolves original thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on reaching 1.0!
Elenmmare said:
As well, sort of late to join in on the copyright discussion, but something based off of historical events can hardly ever have a monopoly on that period. You could get a subboard.
The content is directly based on a book series though (names of people, factions, places). Also, I don't know whether the author trademarked "Camulod" (deriving from Camulodunum, as has been said) but camulod.com is his official site. Perhaps to avoid any snags, you could do what Herby suggested and change names.

The "male skin" texture(s) seems to be messed up a little since you appear darker than you should even if you're Caucasian. I'm not just talking about the hands, they always look a bit off colour - blame the devs - but try the "white" faces. There's definitely a discrepancy, especially with the third.

But doubtless the author takes his names from common folklore in the British Isles - unless he turned Camelot into a town flaming homosexual transvestites, it'd be hard to claim ownership of the ideas.

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfGpVcdqeS0

Why you changed the name of the mod? It seems to me original name was better.  :wink:

Rad said:
Why you changed the name of the mod? It seems to me original name was better.  :wink:

For the reasons explained over the last few pages: Copyright. They want a subforum, Damnit!

EDIT: Elenmare: This is an Arthurian mod, it's not historical, just based on the mythology of Celtic Britain. Well, the book series is, so the mod is by default. And it's been said before that it's a mish-mash of different, if close, time periods, so not really historically accurate even so far as that. But that doesn't make this a worse game :grin: Though I'd give my right arm for the ability and time to make an historically accurate Saxon, or Danish, invasion of Britain mod.

Yeh, what I said. Celtic Britain's mythology belongs to the people, not just a select few authors.

Elenmmare said:
Yeh, what I said. Celtic Britain's mythology belongs to the people, not just a select few authors.

But, this particular version, including the characters, some of the factions (I assume the Irish - Children of Garn and Sons of Condran- at least are from the book), many of the places, including Camulod rather than Camelot, are from a particular book series and invented by Whyte.

Bloid said:
Congratulations on reaching 1.0!
Elenmmare said:
As well, sort of late to join in on the copyright discussion, but something based off of historical events can hardly ever have a monopoly on that period. You could get a subboard.
The content is directly based on a book series though (names of people, factions, places). Also, I don't know whether the author trademarked "Camulod" (deriving from Camulodunum, as has been said) but camulod.com is his official site. Perhaps to avoid any snags, you could do what Herby suggested and change names.

The "male skin" texture(s) seems to be messed up a little since you appear darker than you should even if you're Caucasian. I'm not just talking about the hands, they always look a bit off colour - blame the devs - but try the "white" faces. There's definitely a discrepancy, especially with the third.

Yes I know, I'm trying to fix that as soon as possible.  Something to do with the new faces I think.  I'm gonna get rid of those.
Herby said:
Elenmmare said:

But, this particular version, including the characters, some of the factions (I assume the Irish - Children of Garn and Sons of Condran- at least are from the book), many of the places, including Camulod rather than Camelot, are from a particular book series and invented by Whyte.
I would assume that the Irish factions, Children of Garn and Sons of Condran were picked up by Whyte during research through old texts. 

Good day to you, Dudro.
Sorry if I will repeat question that has been already asked, but what with map in new release? It seems like map is cut. Camera stays on border of Camulodian Empire and doesn't move into Kingdom of Cornwall. Similar thing with Pictish Federation. Hope. it will help to improve this mod.
P.S. Sorry for rude language. From Russia with love.

Dudro said:
I would assume that the Irish factions, Children of Garn and Sons of Condran were picked up by Whyte during research through old texts.

Why? I know a little about this period, and clans tended to just be called "The MacDonald Clan" or whatever. And having done an (albeit fairly quick) research on the High Kings of Ireland, and other major figures, of around that time, I've seen no mention of a Garn or a Condran. I'm not saying it's a fault that he made them up, just that if he did, which I'd say is fairly likely, they could still constitute his IP...

EDIT: I don't mean to sound rude, I'm just saying, to have a good chance of getting a sub forum, you'd need to remove everything that was Whyte's idea.

And also, I'll admit my research was very brief, so don't take what I've said as gospel.

BoJIxB said:
Good day to you, Dudro.
Sorry if I will repeat question that has been already asked, but what with map in new release? It seems like map is cut. Camera stays on border of Camulodian Empire and doesn't move into Kingdom of Cornwall. Similar thing with Pictish Federation. Hope. it will help to improve this mod.
P.S. Sorry for rude language. From Russia with love.

What a good movie...

'The Eagle and the Wolves'- nice title, makes sense. It is the title of a historical novel by Simon Scarrow though :grin:. I wouldn't worry, I don't think there could be any problem whatsoever, as your mod isn't based on Scarrow's books or using any of his content. I don't think the original title would've been anymore problematic either, because it's not as if your mod tries to recreate the storyline etc of any novels is it? Using a few similar place names and it being based in the same period of history is hardly likely to piss the author off.

DanAngleland said:
'The Eagle and the Wolves'- nice title, makes sense. It is the title of a historical novel by Simon Scarrow though :grin:. I wouldn't worry, I don't think there could be any problem whatsoever, as your mod isn't based on Scarrow's books or using any of his content. I don't think the original title would've been anymore problematic either, because it's not as if your mod tries to recreate the storyline etc of any novels is it? Using a few similar place names and it being based in the same period of history is hardly likely to piss the author off.
And Jack Whyte is a Scottish-Canadian, so you can tell he's super cool right there.

Ruthven said:
And Jack Whyte is a Scottish-Canadian, so you can tell he's super cool right there.

Rumour has it that he's going back to his roots and writing a trilogy in the era of William Wallace, sometime after his last Templar book comes out in July. Really looking forward to it!

The map si too large and for that reason there is very bad access to the peripheral areas of the map especially to the southern  parts of England. Because of this  playing is quite ucomfortable.  :???:

Bandito said:
Ruthven said:

Rumour has it that he's going back to his roots and writing a trilogy in the era of William Wallace, sometime after his last Templar book comes out in July. Really looking forward to it!
Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom