Features development thread. (Ideas for the Version 1 Port)

Users who are viewing this thread

Markus II

Knight
Self explanatory thread title...

I'm looking for ideas on features that player would like to see implemented in the Version 1 Port of 867 A.D.

Try to keep your imagination tied to the 9th century in England, whilst remaining in the scope of the M&B Game Engine... :wink:

I believe you've mentioned it before, but I'd like to see: Ireland and Norwegian Vikingr.
I'd be great to have a battle royal between me and Naridill the Danish and Norwegian Vikingr  :razz:
If boats/sea warfare is not included, there could be some sort of passage between Ulster and Scotland.

Oh, and I didn't think the initial map was too big, so the next one could be somewhat bigger  :smile:

Adorno said:
I believe you've mentioned it before, but I'd like to see: Ireland and Norwegian Vikingr.
I'd be great to have a battle royal between me and Naridill the Danish and Norwegian Vikingr  :razz:
If boats/sea warfare is not included, there could be some sort of passage between Ulster and Scotland.

Oh, and I didn't think the initial map was too big, so the next one could be somewhat bigger  :smile:

I'd really like to get some new factions in for the final port of the mod. Scots and Picts as well as some sort of Cornish faction would be great. The Irish are another faction that would be interesting to implement.

A new map to cover the relevent areas is definately on the cards.

Naval combat was something that I didn't want to implement initially, mostly because of time-constraints and the fact this is the first mod I've ever put together. I was focused on getting a completed release.

Of course, now I'm pretty keen on including some form of naval combat. (If I can get my head around the scripting required!)

A bigger map would be excellent - I'd love to see Northumbria and the Kingdoms of Alba and Strathclyde being included. Northumbrian Angles could be done somehow through the claimaints system in newer versions of M&B.

More emphasis on religion - the ability to gift money to endow monasteries, or raid them. Monastic settlements were really important in this period.

Making companions more difficult to get hold of - more who will only join you if you're pagan, Christian, an honest merchant or so forth.

A more dynamic war system that will allow you to weaken the enemy by raiding and so on.

I'd like to see a little more variety in the tunics and equipment appearance, more variety of horses (mostly just different colors) and maybe more variety in the missions  available from the lords in your faction. For what it's worth, I like the size of the current map. Markus, for your first effort, I think you did an awesome job. This mod and a Song of Fire and Ice mod are the only two I'm playing these days...

Building on Spongy's comments, could you have the christian church as a faction? Somehow it would have to remain an ally with the christian nations.

I would like scale mail for the brits higher troops.

I would very much like Religion to get more important. As stated above, I would really like to raid churches.

Maybe in the beginning as one of the hints mention which keys to hit in order to make a shield wall... haha also get rid of the war bow possibly? i just don't think theres ever been a bow more powerful than the long bow... (I'm gunna get screemed at for saying that) Also, new factions, mentioned above... and maybe if its possible an untamed northern Briton.  Like 20 extremely small factions that you can't join that are just Chieftons of the areas and only have a small castle, or village or something.  Mostly just a nuisance, but still formidable enough that you can't just walk up and get a strong foothold early in the game.  And one more thing i'd like to see is more rewards from Kings, i like the Oath-sword touch, and maybe if you get high likeability and renown you are given a plot of land to start a castle or town (your choice) at your own expence maybe Total War style-ish, castle into fortress, town into city... that sort of thing. 

Just ideas...

Peace (Very contradictory way to end a message about a game called "Lords of War"

Spongly said:
A bigger map would be excellent - I'd love to see Northumbria and the Kingdoms of Alba and Strathclyde being included. Northumbrian Angles could be done somehow through the claimaints system in newer versions of M&B.

More emphasis on religion - the ability to gift money to endow monasteries, or raid them. Monastic settlements were really important in this period.

Making companions more difficult to get hold of - more who will only join you if you're pagan, Christian, an honest merchant or so forth.

A more dynamic war system that will allow you to weaken the enemy by raiding and so on.

Spongly,

#1 - The first suggestion shouldn't be to hard to implement - plus it was already on the cards. :wink:

#2 - Religion is a tricky one. I've been toying with the idea of a Christian Church faction, holding monasteries (castles - scened to look like dark age monasteries) and hamlets (villages), along with a very small number of Lords (Bishops) and tiny war-parties. (Priests, Layman servants, Nuns etc) The trick would be to script it so that the Saxon Kingdoms don't go to war with them. I don't know how to do it at the moment.

#3 - Under the 0.960 port, i'll make most companions have a hefty monetary cost before joining the party. I'll look at the system again once the port is done.

#4 - That's a challange for the gifted scripters out there. I'm more of a spit and polish man. :wink:

Beleg Strongbow said:
I'd like to see a little more variety in the tunics and equipment appearance, more variety of horses (mostly just different colors) and maybe more variety in the missions  available from the lords in your faction. For what it's worth, I like the size of the current map. Markus, for your first effort, I think you did an awesome job. This mod and a Song of Fire and Ice mod are the only two I'm playing these days...

More varied equipment is currently in the works for the 0.960 port, hopefully we can continue to build on it for the Version 1 port. More varied missions come as stock in 0.960 native, so you'll see them in the port. :wink:

Markus II said:
Spongly said:
- That's a challenge for the gifted scripters out there. I'm more of a spit and polish man. :wink:
But hasn't that already become a part of 0.960? By bringing down the number of enemy parties and holding enemy lords as prisoners...
Although I'm not sure if it has a monetary influence wether you raid villages or not - so the enemy can't afford as many troops.

I will tell you now I know nothing about the ways of modding. To me it's all a very magical process and im sure that there is much witchcraft involved aswell. So here me out, I will just make a list of what I think would be fun and if it can not be done by your witchcraft then just throw it right back at me.

#1 I would love to attack a monastary personally, full of monks and fleeing villagers. Perhaps the monks could make a last stand in there central Holy place after you've cleared the monastary of foes. It could play out like a seige with 2 steps to the attack.  I hope you can see the importance in this.

#2 These Holy places could hold unique relics of saints and what have you, that generate wealth from pilgrims, and for us Vikings these could be fat targets to be held for ransom.

#3 Women! Women need a bigger role in this game I feel. They are present in native apart from being companions but as of yet I have found them of no use. What would be great is if every lords household contained his family, wife, daughters, and young sons (whom could replace the lord if he should fall in battle) What interesting dialog would it be to arrive at a lords household to find his lonely wife quite discontent with her husband  :wink:.  A new way to make enemies perhaps  :lol: Daughters! Daughters are very important political tools for their noblemen fathers. It would be quite entertaining to try to win favor of fair noblemens daughters with or without her fathers consent. Lets say you had a good relationship with a King and had a mind to carve out your own minor kingdom in some mutrul foes land, what better way to seal the alliance then with the Kings daughters hand in marriage. Also different potential wives bring with them different bonuses such as varying dowries, estates, renown, leadership bonuses, and etc, it all depends on her families power and wealth. Basicly im just saying that women are fun and they need a better role in the game.

#3 Beer! I just want to be able to strole into Lundene after a long day of harrasing monks and have a beer in the pub eh! is that so much for a Viking to ask! Even if it has no effect its the action that counts and then maybe after a few beers I can start a fight with some rowdy patron called earl who is getting fresh with my Helga and i can pummle the basterd into the ground with fists and win favor in the town ofcoarse because im the best drinker of them all.  This could be a way to gain new characters into my group aswell.

#4 A Dog! I want to keep in my hall a vicious hound whom I've named Duck Killer and instead of asking my door guards to arrest the the basterd fiend who has taken residence in my hall agaisnt my will, I just command Duck Killer to attack him viciously. This obviously ruins our relationship but it will make quite a funny jest and gain me the support of the basterds enemies and it would ensure that he no longer is allowed to stay in my hall. In native it is possible for your character to be denied entry to a friendly castle just because the owner has a stick up his butt with you, well its time for some revenge.

#5 Spies! I would love to be able to send spies into the halls of my foes to keep me updated on there whereabouts and intentions. Perhaps they could also find some dirt on lords (foes or not) which I could then use to blackmail them. This would help to sway them to see things your way in all matters such as which marshall to elect or if you need them to follow you on the map or grant you future favors and in severe situations blackmail them out of there daughters. bahaha!

#6 I would love to see some sort of gift giving system implemented. Ofcoarse you know warlords of the time were only as popular as their pockets were deep. I want to be able to give extra bonuses to my top tier troops to improve moral and loyalty. It would also be quite nice to be able to bestow gifts upon other lords to gain favor and ofcorse special gifts for the ladies whom your courting.

#7 Bloodfeuds and relations. for example Ivar, Ubba, and Halfdan are all Danish brothers and if you kill (i wish) caprture, humiliate, or whatever you may do to enrage or kill (i wish) one, then you have enemies in them all and they will stop at nothing to get to you (avenging kin and fighting for family honor was really a big deal back then). Instead of being jumped by bandits when you enter a town you might find yourself attacked by assasins sent by your blood enemy (and in turn you could send your own assasins to capture or kill a hated enemy). These feuds could boil over into duels when your two armies may meet or something but feuds need to be more intense and in your face so that you have the feeling of having a serious blood rival to crush.

#8 Champions! I think every lord or king should also contain characters in his army that he can lend you perhaps if your relationship permits it. These characters could be the head of his household troops, bodyguards, or huskarls whichever you perfer. There could also be characters such as the lords sons who fight alongside their father and champions ofcoarse. These characters who follow the lords and kings of the land could also tie in to the armies moral. I think if a lord, king, champion, standard bearer, and etc should fall in battle it should have an effect on the moral of the army. Perhaps if you found yourself in a bloodfeud with a lord or a king before you met in battle your champions could duel one another and challenges could be made before the initial battle began. that would be F-in awesome

I might think of some more fun stuff but thats it for now this is long!

I personally would like to see more variety in the decoration of shields, keeping the faction specific coloured shields but also adding others aswell. These could be unpainted or have simple designs. I would also enjoy the possibility of buying more expensive shields that are elaborately painted (however I do realise these weren't particularly common at the time). Furthermore could you implement variants on the shape and size of the shields that were available at this time.

I like Sigmunds ideas a lot, especially this one (which shouldn't even be too difficult to do):

Sigmund said:
#6 I would love to see some sort of gift giving system implemented. Ofcoarse you know warlords of the time were only as popular as their pockets were deep. I want to be able to give extra bonuses to my top tier troops to improve moral and loyalty. It would also be quite nice to be able to bestow gifts upon other lords to gain favor and ofcorse special gifts for the ladies whom your courting.

Triglav,

Yes that is one of my favorite ideas aswell. To even add on to the idea I think it would be great if characters in the game carried on them unique items that could be taken from them should you defeat them in battle. For example lets say you defeat Ubba one of your blood rivals in battle and capture from him his infamous Raven banner. Now, you could hold on to this through your travels and your army would have a huge boost in moral and honor or through the gift giving system you could take this standard and bestow it to your King who would be immensly impressed. He might even grant you knew lands or title. Or you could impress the lady you are courting with the sword of some champion whom you've defeated (if shes into that kind of thing)  :lol:

These items could be unique heirlooms of great value that their owners would seek to re gain by ransom or revenge and so what you do with your trophy is up to you.  I think this would add some fun immersion into the game if it were able to be done.

Adorno said:
Markus II said:
Spongly said:
- That's a challenge for the gifted scripters out there. I'm more of a spit and polish man. :wink:
But hasn't that already become a part of 0.960? By bringing down the number of enemy parties and holding enemy lords as prisoners...
Although I'm not sure if it has a monetary influence wether you raid villages or not - so the enemy can't afford as many troops.
I saw a lord recruiting from a village once (he stopped next to one, I asked him what he was doing and he said recruitinbg from ____)  so mabye if you burn loads of the enemy villages they cant recruit as often? But I've only seen this once and I might just be crazy or something and I might have never seen it.

How about regional merchants? Like axes, Danish swords, and hauberks are mostly dealt by merchants in Dane lands while spears and medium armor (scale mail  :wink:) are sold by Brit merchants.

Another cool idea I had was fine merchandise like hauberks and swords can be ordered (dialogue for ordering, pay money, wait for time, come back and get item) from craftsmen in their respective areas.

What do you think sirs?

Even if the player  cant use ships then mabye you could make it so that the player can buy a merchant ship and send a companion with some gold to trade over seas. Like you could send marnid to frankia for some of their awesome sword blades.
Prices could depend on you're companions trade skill and where you sent him. After a while (few weeks?) the companion would return in a port and you could travel out to meet him and claim you're goods.
Mabye the companion would have some juicy gossip or informations for you as well?

Back
Top Bottom